Duel-wielding Forums

A special meeting room in the Spire where leading citizens meet to discuss matters relating to the nation.

Moderators: (Gralus) Gralan Emperor, (Gralus) Lord General, (Gralus) Chief Justice

Andreas the Wise

Duel-wielding Forums

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I think that taking forever to die might be getting in the way of us living; that is, us taking so long to conclude how Gralus finishes up means that Toketi can't really get started again. I'm wondering if it would be worth dual-wielding our forum and progressing both tracks simultaneously. We can archive the old parts and do up a nice, snazzy new slimmed down Toketi set of forums, while maintaining a forum to finish off the Gralus story thread on. Corey, I know you're keen to keep developing Toketi and change things around, and Arnole, I know you were keen to potentially recruit people. If we figured out a rough plan of how post-Gralus Toketi will function (in terms of political system and magic) then we could get that going and totally start inviting new people and getting things moving again, while still giving Gralus the send-off it deserves over the time period our creative schedules allow. It's not like that would change too many things, really.

To be honest, would new people even need to really know Gralus or old Toketi or what they were like? I don't think so - in fact, if we successfully recruit new people, it would be better if the old stuff isn't too important and they can develop their own new stuff. Let me tell you a story. The other day I was taking a stroll around the neighbourhood, and letting my mind free wheel while I did. Very relaxing. It was a foggy day, and I was walking around a large grassy area that's never used much, and with all the mist around you could imagine how people might think that on such days a fey world could cross borders with our own and occupy the same space. Being me, I started thinking about how that would practically work - obviously both our world and the fey world must occupy the same space-time location, but in different planes. At certain times and places the two planes must merge into one, so that you can walk freely between them without noticing. Legend would tend to attribute this to wild, outdoor areas (a little like the grassy area I was walking around) - why? Probably the planes only collided where they were the same - the fey people hadn't built theirs up, we had, so they could only collide in natural, undeveloped areas. Which then got me thinking - if most people in our world don't believe in the fey world, and fey people really wanted to, say, rob a bank, then all you need to do is build a replica of the bank on the right site, and when the planes collide, you can walk straight into the middle of their vault, take what you want, and be gone when the fog burns off in the sun.
That, I realised, is the essence of what we've built these past years - that's what it means to be Gralan. To tell stories, mixing magic and modern (and sci-fi); to actually figure out how magic (or sci-fi) would practically work; and once you've built the system, to work out how to exploit it. As long as we keep that, especially if we can find more people who think on those lines (or are at least keen to play in a world created by people thinking on those lines), then the new Toketi will be Toketi, even if most of it's citizenry have never heard of Bayen Praygulin, Taonas or the CAA. And that's why I think we can quite succesfully build new Toketi even while we haven't quite finished killing off Gralus (as long as we agree on where we're ultimately headed in terms of future magic use).
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Kaarrin Isselkaan

Re: Duel-wielding Forums

Post by Kaarrin Isselkaan »

I'm still in the midst of some significant upheaval in my life. Since my grandfather passed, and my family can't afford to buy out my uncles' portions of the house, we're sorta up in the air with selling this house and trying to find a new one. On top of that, my workload recently doubled (and I'm not officially working more hours, more like "donating" my time to make my actual scheduled shifts less horrific) and I'm still struggling to find a proper job, and once that happens, it'll probably be accompanied by moving into a place of my own.

So yeah, I'm swamped, that's why I'm not doing much.

I understand the concept here with recruiting and "new" Toketi and whatnot. My only fear is that the whole thing will run wild again and I won't be able to do much in the way of the development I've been meaning to get to for fear of railroading new people into "my reality". I'm all for letting new people redevelop much of the country, I never really felt attached to anywhere but Doshtan, and maybe Rielrar, but there's still an...atmosphere, I guess...that I want to maintain. A history of sorts.

I just don't want to be driven away by trying to keep control of my own pursuits...

Andreas the Wise

Re: Duel-wielding Forums

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Quite understandable. Definitely sort out real life stuff first - that always trumps micronationalism, and sounds like it's not so much fun for you at the moment :(

And with recruiting others, not requiring them to know all of the history doesn't mean we require nothing - I think you're quite right that it's the atmosphere we really want to keep, and of course as king you could set up the political system however you liked and keep Doshtan and Rielrar under your direct control.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Return to “National Matters Room”