Informal Poll: Advertising Joining

The least private hidden forum that Micras has ever seen. Restricted access to a citizen of any Bastion nation. So that's only, what, 80% of the active microworld these days?
Andreas the Wise

Informal Poll: Advertising Joining

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Alright. I'd like to confirm one way or another what the general Bastion consensus on this is, since I'm getting different reports from different people.

"We (Bastion) should advertise ourselves as a great new way of micronational interaction, and encourage other nations to apply to join."
Agree or disagree?

Note: Encourage other nations to join is not going up to a particular nation and saying "You should join", but in our general advertising making it clear that there is the potential for new nations to join and that it would be a good idea for them.

This is particularly pertinent for how I talk about Bastion at the Opening Ceremony at the World Expo.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Bayen

Re: Informal Poll: Advertising Joining

Post by Bayen »

Agree! More nations on the forums means more nations I can visit without any trouble.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

I think that most of us fall into gray areas on new nations joining, but if I had to go with yes/no, then yeah, I approve of that statement. It beats the alternative of implying we are a closed group and there's no way anyone else can get in.

Kaiser Magni I

Post by Kaiser Magni I »

Yeah, same reason as Harvey. We're not actively recruiting nations, but neither are we going to close the door on the possibility of others joining if they show genuine interest.

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

I'd say yes, with the caveat that I think we should be actively recruiting if we see someone we like.

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I don't think we should go to other nations' forums and say 'hey, you should join Bastion' or anything like that, but I'm fine with establishing the position that we are open to new membership.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

I would say it would be good for Bastion to be well known around and outside the sector, but no, not advertise joining. Though yes, like Gerk says, noting that Bastion by nature is open to new membership.
Аїомидє Оћтавион
Hesam wrote:Trains are very efficient at making long lines of people dead, and I suppose they could also be used for transportation or something.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

I agree that we should let the people know about our greatness ( :mrgreen: ) but we shouldn't advertise joining. I don't mind with ending up with some extra nations over time (it's not like I can't ignore their forums) but at the same time we should avoid that we seem to be begging to get others join, just to prove how good this project works.
Just explaining the concept we use should be sufficient.
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Longbow of Toketi

Post by Longbow of Toketi »

i dont have too much insight to add aside from what the others have said already, but that aside i vote aye
-Lord of Cride
-Creator of the Scalziin
-fire never dies alone

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Consensus decision making ftw. Who needs charters!

What's the practical difference between letting people know we're open to offers of other nations joining and outright advertisement though? How do you do the former without it being the latter?

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I think the difference is, that if anybody asks, we say that we're open to new membership, and we make such statements on community forums (such as in the expo, or on MCS), but not go onto other nations' forums and tell them we're interested in new membership, because that's too much like active recruitment. Just get the idea across, without being suggestive.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Yeah, that makes the most sense.
Аїомидє Оћтавион
Hesam wrote:Trains are very efficient at making long lines of people dead, and I suppose they could also be used for transportation or something.

Return to “Situation Room”