Proposal: Resolution on Imperial Election Law

Moderator: (Shireroth) Praetor

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Proposal: Resolution on Imperial Election Law

Post by Verion »

As a delegate from the Verionist Union, a party that values democracy and citizens participation above many things, I am gravely concerned by the restrictions on political parties that wish to participate. These restrictions have been visible in Modan, in the Great North (where we have managed to persuade the Queen to allow the IDP to participate), but also in the dominion of Batavia.

And where the Charter stipulates the autonomy of Imperial States, it doesn't do so for the dominions. Therefore, I propose the following resolution:
This Landsraad,

Determined in its fight to promote citizen's participation in our nation, and concerned by the expression of intolerance and autocratic tendencies within our Imperial Dominions,

Hereby resolves that every party or citizen shall have the right to stand for election in each Imperial Dominion, and may not be barred from, or restrained in this right.

Furthermore, every citizen of the Imperial Dominions shall have freedom of conscience to vote for whatever party or individual they desire.

The Imperial Constabulary shall oversee the implementation of this resolution.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Re: Proposal: Resolution on Imperial Election Law

Post by Continuator »

My Lords,

If we are to proceed down this route then we must - for consistencies sake - note that it would be, by the reasoning presented here, improper for states to exclude parties from putting forward candidates for an Imperial election in any portion of the Imperial Republic. We have legitimate concerns about the probity of the Verionist Union, but we would be prepared to put those to one side and set them before the Judex if the Northern Realm would overcome its own hypocritical arrogance in attempting to enforce local registration procedures onto an Imperial election.

Let this resolution be set aside as unworthy and partisan and a new electoral law brought forward in its place.

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

I stand by the Prince of Modan on this matter.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

The Prince of Modan uses nice words to defend standing AGAINST the promotion of democracy. I am more than happy to bring a case to all rulers within the States who exclude parties from participating. But this we can change now, and the fact that there are Landsraadmembers who refuse to make sure that democracy is strengthened is illuminating. Your stance in this matter will be heard throughout the country!

Karmen Joonai

Post by Karmen Joonai »

Lord Prætor

The AIP applaud this resolution – we further believe that this resolution shall also incorporate the imperial states. Let democracy be free all over the country.

We therefore respectfully move to add "and Imperial States" after each instance of "Imperial Dominions", and add "and each Imperial State" after "each Imperial Dominion". We trust that the Verionist Union, as the great proponent of democracy that it keeps saying it is, will accept to this amendment.
The Ghost of Karmen Joonai, Lady Cherokee

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Karmen Joonai wrote:Lord Prætor

The AIP applaud this resolution – we further believe that this resolution shall also incorporate the imperial states. Let democracy be free all over the country.

We therefore respectfully move to add "and Imperial States" after each instance of "Imperial Dominions", and add "and each Imperial State" after "each Imperial Dominion". We trust that the Verionist Union, as the great proponent of democracy that it keeps saying it is, will accept to this amendment.
I wholeheartedly suport this proposal, albeit that the position of the Imperial States will make it an effective stand-off between Imperial law and State law. Under the current constitution, that will lead to a stalemate. This is the reason it wasn't included in the original resolution, but of course the VU supports such a meassure. In fact, the Verionist parties have always fought for the prevalence of Imperial law above State law.

Karmen Joonai

Post by Karmen Joonai »

Lord Prætor

I am so glad that the Lord Mayor of Shirekeep supports this, and I am also happy to tell him that is concerns are entirely unfounded, as by the Carta Ayreonica, imperial law trumps state law. Always. Cheers!

I will then take it that my amendment has been considered friendly.

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Lord Praetor,

The entire electoral process is ill-defined. There is not even an electoral commission of proper standing. If we are to have a proper electoral procedure predicated in law and universally applied, it will require more than an improvised resolution.

In answer to an earlier point, democracy, rather like freedom, only has value when it is correctly exercised and subject to the rule of law.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Karmen Joonai wrote:Lord Prætor

I am so glad that the Lord Mayor of Shirekeep supports this, and I am also happy to tell him that is concerns are entirely unfounded, as by the Carta Ayreonica, imperial law trumps state law. Always. Cheers!

I will then take it that my amendment has been considered friendly.
It has.

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

My Lords

The bill has been amended. It now reads:
This Landsraad,

Determined in its fight to promote citizen's participation in our nation, and concerned by the expression of intolerance and autocratic tendencies within our Imperial Dominions and Imperial States,

Hereby resolves that every party or citizen shall have the right to stand for election in each Imperial Dominion and each Imperial State, and may not be barred from, or restrained in this right.

Furthermore, every citizen of the Imperial Dominions and the Imperial States shall have freedom of conscience to vote for whatever party or individual they desire.

The Imperial Constabulary shall oversee the implementation of this resolution.
Tinker Sprocket
Count of Norrström (Natopia)
Count of Machinaria, Viscount Sprocket of Machinaria (Shireroth)
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Lord Praetor,

I propose the following amendment which I hope the proponent of the resolution will accept as being friendly.
The Lords Temporal of the Landsraad, desiring an end to the system of partisan, autocratic, and divisive restrictions inaugurated by the Cimmerian regime presently occupying the Northern Realm of Elwynn, and wishing to ensure that all Citizens and Denziens of the Imperial Republic are accorded the right and opportunity of a vote under the terms of franchise graciously afforded to them, hereby resolve:
  1. That an Electoral Commission, overseen by the Kaiser, shall have full responsibility for ensuring that elections held in any State, Dominion, or Protectorate of the Imperial Republic are conducted in a free and fair manner.
  2. The Electoral Commission shall be independent of the Imperial Government and all of its subordinate agencies thereof.
  3. The Electoral Commission shall appoint independent observers in each census level subdivision.
  4. The Lords Lieutenant, supported by the Chamber of the Crypteia, shall oversee the implementation of this resolution.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

The proposals by the Prince of Modan are noted, but not accepted as friendly.

Karmen Joonai

Post by Karmen Joonai »

Lord Prætor

The proposal by the Prince of Modan is a step further in the right direction. Unfortunately it does not provide adequate rules governing the election. I would like to see that included, too. But because it is a step in the right direction, I will support it. Because the amendment proposed by the Prince of Modan is not acceptable to Lord Saint Zor, I move that we adopt it nonetheless.

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Very well.

My Lords,

We shall now vote on the question to adopt Modan's amendment.

Vote aye if in favour of the amendment.

Vote nay to retain Saint Zor's original as amendedby Lady Cherokee.
Tinker Sprocket
Count of Norrström (Natopia)
Count of Machinaria, Viscount Sprocket of Machinaria (Shireroth)
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Karmen Joonai

Post by Karmen Joonai »

Aye

Mahmood Sadri

Post by Mahmood Sadri »

Nay.

Elections is not a matter delegated to Shireroth in the Talenore treaty.
Dr. Mahmood Sadri Maleki
Governor-General of the State of Talenore
Count Sadri of Pasdaran
Chairman, National Development Party

Karmen Joonai

Post by Karmen Joonai »

Lord Prætor

The Talenorian nobleman is of course right. Elections to the Folksraad for the imperial protectorates is of course a reserved matter for tjem. As such, if this amendment passes I shall immediately move to remove the protectorates from the text. In the event I am unsuccessful, I will vote against the bill

Hartmut Aldric

Post by Hartmut Aldric »

Aye.
Edgard
Shirerithian characters:
  • Regent and Lord Protector Ruadh Aldric of the Kingdom of Ransenar;
  • Lord High Steward Sean O'Callaghan of the Kingdom of Ransenar;
  • Lord Senàn Caldwell, Lord Warden of the Imperial Constabulary.
  • Deceased: Hartmut Aldric, Steward of the Imperial Republic (1660-1665), Duke of Calezi, President of the Council of Ministers of the Imperial Duchy of Brookshire, First Secretary of the Kehl, &etc.

Mahmood Sadri

Post by Mahmood Sadri »

Given the explanation from Lady Cherokee, I respectfully request that my vote be changed to Present.
Dr. Mahmood Sadri Maleki
Governor-General of the State of Talenore
Count Sadri of Pasdaran
Chairman, National Development Party

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Aye

And I undertake to excise the reference to protectorates from the text after the amendment has been passed.

Return to “Landsraad Passed Bills”