SHIPTT Expropriation Resolution

Moderator: (Shireroth) Praetor

Jalal Jahanbani

SHIPTT Expropriation Resolution

Post by Jalal Jahanbani »

Lord Prætor

Whereas the Hoennese Realm blocks all profit-making for the shareholders in the Shirerithian–Hoennese Interplanetary Postal, Trade, and Transportation Company (SHIPTT), it is important for the Imperial Government to save these shareholders from all further loss of finances in that company. Thereafter, we can as an equal partner to Hoenn, with having 250 shares each, to amend the Charter of the company so that profits may be taken out of the company.

I trust the landsraad will agreee with this assessment.
Resolved by the Landsraad as follows:

1. The shares of the Shirerithian side in the Shirerithian–Hoennese Interplanetary Postal, Trade, and Transportation Company shall be expropriated from their owners (see Schedule) to the Imperial Government with market-value compensation for each share.

2. The shares of the Imperial Government in the Shirerithian–Hoennese Interplanetary Postal, Trade, and Transportation Company shall remain thus until such time that the charter of the Shirerithian–Hoennese Interplanetary Postal, Trade, and Transportation Company shall provide for profits for shareholders, whereupon privatization may occur with preferential treatment to the previous shareholders (see schedule) for their number of shares at the time of effect of this resolution.

Schedule:

County Palatine of Kezan: 50 shares
Eparchy of Smjörkýr: 40 shares
ESB-Jörmungandr Group: 35 shares
Emirate of Sathrati: 29 shares
Saint Andre Trading Company: 25 shares
Royal Iron Company: 20 shares
Ryker Airships: 20 shares
Cimmerian Spirits LLC: 10 shares
Imperial Investment Bank in Caputia: 10 shares
Kern Industries: 5 shares
Basileusan Bank of the Free and Associative Kingdom of Constancia: 5 shares
Voltruvian Motors GmbH: 1 share
JALAL JAHANBANI
Imperial Minister of the Exterior
Shireroth

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Re: SHIPTT Expropriation Resolution

Post by Continuator »

Lord Prætor,

I don't think anyone here disagrees with the sentiment that trade and trade partnerships should be pursued with the objective of securing a return on investment that is profitable to the backers of any shared enterprise.

Might I enquire whether the Minister would be willing to consider, as an alternative instead of expropriation, placing the shares into a government holding trust with profits subsequently shared on the basis of present corporate holdings?

Jalal Jahanbani

Lord Prætor

I thank the Imperial Mother for her submission. I do understand where she's coming from, and I did consider her proposal before writing this bill. However, after a careful consideration of the legalities here – both Hoennese and Shirerithian law – Shireroth's negotiating stand in the company would be much better if were the government owning it. By giving direct market-value compensation (we could even make it larger!) to the shareholders for the loss of their shares, and giving them preferential treatment in buying their shares back, sufficient protections are in place for their ownership.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

My Lords and Ladies,

Before us we have a proposed resolution with legal binding..

Debate on this proposal lasts for at least [24 hours] from its submission.
Tinker Sprocket
Count of Norrström (Natopia)
Count of Machinaria, Viscount Sprocket of Machinaria (Shireroth)
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Lord Prætor,

I thank the Minister for his reply.

It also needs to be borne in mind that the Basileusan Bank of the Free and Associative Kingdom of Constancia, a financial institution under the control of an allied power, owns shares in the SHIPTT. At the very least, as a courtesy, the Constancian government should be consulted as regards to its interests in this matter.

Jalal Jahanbani

Lord Prætor

I have overlooked the point that the Imperial Mother has so graciously made. I am ashamed that I have done so, and I shall render my apologies to the Constancian government. I will immediately seek out the Constancian government's opinions on the matter. I shall also speak to the Hoennese and Natopian governments as they too are intimately linked to this proposal.

I ask, Lord Prætor, that until I return from my consultations with the named governments, that this proposal remain on hold.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Jalal Jahanbani

Lord Prætor

I have received a submission from the Hoennese Realm:
It is the opinion of the Hoennese Realm that it would be immoral to seize any shares in SHIP-TTC, let alone those that are held by foreign investors. Should however that path be trod, the Hoennese Realm prefers the course of action offered in open debate by the Hon. Liv Dravot, but with revenues instead shared in proportion to the number of shares so entrusted.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Jalal Jahanbani

Lord Prætor

Regardless, I believe that this resolution is in the best interests of the Imperial Republic and the financial stability of the Imperial Republic. I move to vote.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

My Lords,

Voting on this proposal begins now.
Tinker Sprocket
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Jalal Jahanbani

Aye
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Nay.

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

My Lords,

Sufficient time has been given voting in this resolution, yet honourable Lords and Ladies have chosen not to participate in the voting. This is unfortunate as we now have one vote in favour and one against, and eleven absentees.

It thus is my duty to break the tie. I must interpret the extremely low turnout with the proposal as uncontroversial to the majority of the house – and therefore the resolution is adopted as the will of the Landsraad.
Tinker Sprocket
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Return to “Landsraad Passed Bills”