Adelsraad Apportionment Bill 1663

Moderator: (Shireroth) Praetor

Jalal Jahanbani

Adelsraad Apportionment Bill 1663

Post by Jalal Jahanbani »

My Lord Prætor

I move to amend the Lawbook, Ch 8, s 3:1, with the proviso that the changes shall not affect the current Adelsraad, accordingly:
1. The Adelsraad consists of the representatives of the nobility. Twenty seats shall be allocated to each imperial state and one half of the total number of state seats and an additional number of seats, proportional to the number of citizens in the imperial dominions and protectorates as compared to the number of citizens in the imperial states shall be allocated to the imperial dominions and protectorates

2. For the imperial dominions, each dominion or protectorate with more than 10,000 43,000 citizens shall form one constituency. The remaining protectorates and dominions shall form one constituency. These seats are allocated to the proportion of citizens in each of these dominion/protectorate constituencies. Each imperial state forms one constituency of 20 seats
This is to ensure a fair representation of all nobles outside the imperial states. While each imperial state, regardless of citizen population, would send 20 representatives to the Adelsraad, the imperial dominions and proetctorates would only send an exact number of representatives proportional to their share of the noble population of the Imperial Republic. This is a good compromise between the rights of all nobles and the rights of the states.
Last edited by Jalal Jahanbani on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Imperial Minister of the Exterior
Shireroth

Sprocket

Re: Adelsraad Apportionment Bill 1663

Post by Sprocket »

My Lords and Ladies,

Before us we have a bill to amend the Lawbook.

Debate on this bill lasts for at least [24 hours] from its submission.
Tinker Sprocket
Count of Norrström (Natopia)
Count of Machinaria, Viscount Sprocket of Machinaria (Shireroth)
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

My Lord Prætor,

I fear that this bill proposes a solution to a problem that does not exist on a meaningful level.

Jalal Jahanbani

My lord Prætor

I shall explain the mathematics.

Under the current situation, the states are awarded 20 seats each, that brings us to 100 seats. Dominions and protectorates are afforded half the number of seats states have in total, so 50 seats.

Under the last census (1656), we have approximately 4,384,000 citizens living in the states, and 863,000 citizens living in the dominions/protectorates. This brings state seats to an average of 43840 citizens per seat, while dominions and protectorates have an average of 17260 citizens per seat.

Rather than the system protecting the rights of the state citziens, it actively discriminates against them.

My proposal is that the number of seats for the dominions and protectorates to be in proportion to their share of the citizen population. As such, with my system, the dominions and protectorates would together get 20 seats – an average of 43000 citizens per seat, a much fairer equation.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Jalal Jahanbani

Lord Prætor

Move to vote.
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Very well.

My Lords, voting on this bill begins now.
Tinker Sprocket
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Jalal Jahanbani

Aye
JALAL JAHANBANI
Shireroth

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

Abstain.

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

My Lords

Sufficient time has been afforded voting on this bill. Voting has now ended. With one vote in favour and one abstention, and twelve absentees, the bill is adopted.
Tinker Sprocket
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Return to “Landsraad Passed Bills”