Regarding Republic of Alexandria

Home to Operation Impending Doom III
Vilhelm Benkern

Regarding Republic of Alexandria

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Monty wrote:Oh the follies of a bygone age.

BTW, just a heads up as this was a topic about Alexandria, some little 15 yr old(s) I think joined up and decided to split. They've subsequently set up the "Republic of Alexandria" which is farming posts and all kinds from the Empire's site. If they approach anyone at Bastion, might be worthwhile telling them to fuck off before they start stealing culture.
I'm given to understand that this is not the full story, so we shouldn't be so short with these Republicans unless we want to keep the Imperial Alexandria on side. Reminds me of the Antican split...
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Re: Regarding Republic of Alexandria

Post by Shyriath »

I tried trawling through the Empire's boards, and I'll be damned if I understand exactly what's happening. It looked like they tried to pass a constitutional amendment that would limit the Emperor's power, at first he was in favor, they discussed it, then he got more wary... but at what point it turned into a civil war I have no idea.

I tried going to the Republic's board, but the link timed out.
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Flavius Myksos

Post by Flavius Myksos »

Vilhelm Benkern wrote: I'm given to understand that this is not the full story, so we shouldn't be so short with these Republicans unless we want to keep the Imperial Alexandria on side. Reminds me of the Antican split...
Seeing that the 'revolution' was started by someone who became member in January, I have the to disagree. :king:
Dutch of the Dutchy of Kildare.
Dominator of the Eastern Empire by the Grace of Cato and the Kaiser.

Deimos Jasonides

Post by Deimos Jasonides »

If the imperial government believes that the Republic had a right to unilaterally secede, than I can only interpret that to extend to imperial states too.
Deimos Jasonides| Деймоос Ясооннаи | Deimoos Jasoonnai
Grand Officer of the Holy Order of the Strait of Barbary
Former Prime Minister of the State of Talenore
Former Sovereign Prince of Elwynn

Just another Ric

Vilhelm Benkern

Your logic is flawed, there are substantial differences between the Alexandrian and Shirerithian constitutions.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

Deimos Jasonides

The difference is that Alexandria is an accountable democracy which makes any spport of the failed coup-performers even more crazy.

Just another Ric

Vilhelm Benkern

Our interpretations differ once more about the quality of Alexandrian government and democracy.

Deimos Jasonides

I suppose it does not matter in any case, the question is whether to enter relations with them.

I request that we don't, for the following reasons:

1. All coup-makers came to Alexandria in the inactivity period just after new year's after Alexandria was threatened with MCS forced reduction.

2. The main instigator, Elizabeth Howard, single-handedly wrote the Constitution and personally agreed to the amendments to it as friendly, the Chamber of Citizens then voted to confirm it.

3. Before the adoption of the Constitution, Howard was appointed First Consul (chief executive).

4. There was a spat between the 1st Consul and the Emperor behind closes doors. The Emperor agreed to disagree with the 1st Consul and still lend his support by her government.

5. The Consulate then unanimously voted to declare the Empire a Republic, the Emperor deposed and the Constitution suspended, before the Imperial Assembly (the democratic legislature of Alexandria) had had time to meet (it was scheduled to be opened on 13 March).

6. There was no emergency so dire that the Consulate could not have had time to wait until the Assembly had met to then ask the Assembly to consider the issues. Further, the Assembly could have then resolved to amend the constution by simple majority, and in the case of the Emperor vetoing it, override the veto with two-thirds' majority vote. If this had happened, then the Republic would have had democratic legitimacy. This has not happened. It does not have any legitimacy.

7. Nor does the Republic control any territory, its government seems dormant and its activity on the forums are appallingly low.

8. Do we really wish to antagonize one of our oldest friends, the Alexandrian Empire?

9. Are there any good reasons to enter into relaitons with the Republic?

Just another Ric

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

Deimos Jasonides wrote:8. Do we really wish to antagonize one of our oldest friends, the Alexandrian Empire?
Particularly if we want to seek their support for the MCS thing.
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

Kaiser Mo'll I

Post by Kaiser Mo'll I »

See my response to the Republic request at the MiniEx.

Shireroth is not so stupid as to recognise a tiresome putsch in a foreign nation for no other reason than them asking us to (unless of course it was directly beneficial to Shireroth's interests, which in this case it isn't). Shame on anybody who thinks I would even consider it.

By the end of my reign, the 'Republic' will have vanished and few will remember it ever existed. I guarantee it.

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

So I found this at the Zolt flea market the other day. The seller claims it's a draft state portrait of Your Niftiness, and I must say, if nothing else, the resemblance is quite striking...

(:wink:)

Kaiser Mo'll I

Post by Kaiser Mo'll I »

*dwells on an old idea he had for a tailors' business in Lunaris*

Also, that portrait is a wildly inaccurate forgery. I... categorically affirm it.

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

Rei Milharna wrote:So I found this at the Zolt flea market the other day. The seller claims it's a draft state portrait of Your Niftiness, and I must say, if nothing else, the resemblance is quite striking...

(:wink:)
Kaiser Mo'll I wrote:*dwells on an old idea he had for a tailors' business in Lunaris*

Also, that portrait is a wildly inaccurate forgery. I... categorically affirm it.
Dammit, you two nearly made me cough soda all over my tablet with this... :geek:

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

Kaiser Mo'll I wrote:*dwells on an old idea he had for a tailors' business in Lunaris*

Meh, you humans all look the same to me.
Shyriath wrote:Dammit, you two nearly made me cough soda all over my tablet with this... :geek:
Glad I could be of service. :D

Lyssansa Rossheim

Post by Lyssansa Rossheim »

Kaiser Mo'll I wrote:By the end of my reign, the 'Republic' will have vanished and few will remember it ever existed. I guarantee it.
The "Republic" has been dissolved and the renegade former First Consul, Elizabeth Howard, has agreed to rejoin the Empire as a result of a deal brokered by Jean Carmichel and the Archbishop of Geneva.
Vilhelm Benkern wrote:I'm given to understand that this is not the full story, so we shouldn't be so short with these Republicans unless we want to keep the Imperial Alexandria on side. Reminds me of the Antican split...
Actually, it reminds me a lot of the situation in Shireroth. Alexandria has been struggling for a long time with inactivity and apathy and previous attempts to restore the situation have been hampered by Edgard's repeated absences at the helm of a political structure where the emperor still retains a lot of power. The situation has further deteriorated recently and the MCS reduction, coming soon after an earlier attempt coup, has prompted some serious soul searching, as a result of which it was decided to make the emperor's role more ceremonial in nature.

Howard has been heavily involved in these reforms; since joining, she has been both active and enthusiastic and has consequently enjoyed a meteoric rise to the First Consulship. My feeling is that this went to her head. Being new to Alexandria, I don't think she recognised the level of the support for Edgard and so was unprepared for the backlash when she tried to make the emperor a weak constitutional figurehead modelled after contemporary European monarchies.

It seems that the crisis was sparked off by a proposal to restrict the emperor's right to make even ceremonial appointments without reference to the Consuls; Edgard not unreasonably saw this as a violation of the deal and my guess is that Howard and her allies interpreted it as yet more imperial obstructionism. When Edgard posted details of a private discussion, Howard lost her patience and proclaimed the republic, very possibly expecting most Alexandrians to support her...after all, Edgard's inactivity was one of the main reasons for Alexandria's recent troubles.

Up to this point, I do have some sympathy for Howard, but the subsequent claims that her republic was the only true Alexandria (even though a majority of Alexandrians remained loyal to the Emperor) undoubtedly went too far. Perhaps she was still "in character" and had failed to recognise that the rest of the community had stopped playing along? Who knows.

In conclusion, I'm not convinced that Howard joined Alexandria purely to steal its culture, but I do feel that she has been foolish and naive. Ultimately, this sorry affair is a lesson in what happens if you don't manage change responsibly and sensitively. Alexandria needed to change because the emperor's absences were insupportable under the old system of government, but equally, you can't remove the emperor without destroying much of the country's identity.
Lyssansa
Queen of Minarboria
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Princess and Lichgravine of Lywind, Baroness of Solecism

Return to “Secret Evil Plans”