World Cup Preparation Review

Runs Shireroth's sports leagues, naturally.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Tarekseev

World Cup Preparation Review

Post by Tarekseev »

10 Days until Shireroth will open its door to the world. The oldest nation on Micras will host the 2011 FMF World Cup, and after a good PSL first season, hopes surely will be running high in the Shirerithian camp.

As we await the news of the final 23 man squad, we can look into the preparations and what we can analyse and make out of them.

The results:

Shireroth 6-0 Incontinentia
Nova England 7-6 Shireroth
Nova English 3-2 Shireroth

Although 1 win and 2 defeats may not look like the best statistic, there is still alot that can be taken from these matches. It may be nice to go into the World Cup in good form winning every single preparation match and carrying momentum, but these results mean nothing to the actual tournament. Paolo Ste-Laurent has made it clear that he was only going to use these matches for experimenting players and to see who impresses and makes a claim for a spot in the final 23. This gives player's a chance to make an impact, although this move does make some pundits question the team chemistry and whether the team will gel ahead of the tournament. Maybe one more friendly is in the cards to confirm or reject any doubts, but one thing for sure is that Shireroth do have a good coach. From getting Gaia (now effectively Tellia) to the World Cup final in 2006, to winning CiboTap and the World Cup with Alexandria in 2009, Ste-Laurent's credentials shows his tremendous coaching ability. Alongside the team chemistry, another question many may ask is his tactics and whether they are dated.

In every single preparation match so far, Ste-Laurent has used a 4-4-2 - a formation which he has used to great success before. But as the modern game evolves, it may be questionable whether the 4-4-2 has lost its effect. Despite the great start against Incontinentia, against greater teams such as Nova England it seemed fairly shaky, and very unreliable.

As we look at the positives, one thing looks clear - Shireroth has plenty of attacking flair. Adolf Mather has claimed a huge stake into the team, as does Jalal Akwá and Sdeli Liurion; however the main surprise is the ineffectiveness of PSL leading goalscorer Kurt Lamberti. The former Cerce player who shone last season, failed to make an impact on the intermicronational stage. Could this just be nerves or will this turn into a real issue? With or without Lamberti, Shireroth's gauntlet in attack looks pretty good.

Another positive is the effect of midfield, in particular Talsin Llwrran. Llwrran, who transferred to Vecchiacittà from Imperial United for Cr10M is looking likely to play a major influential role in the team, providing that his ill discipline doesn't let him down. Even with the 4-4-2, there was glimpses of unpredictability with the midfielder making bursting runs through the middle, and occasionally testing the goalkeeper. Should he be paired with a defensive midfielder or someone who can hold back and allow him to get forward, then I think he can add something much needed to the team. The wing play of the team is also brilliant, with plenty of options on both right and left.

However with the attacking flair the Shirerithians have shown, it could be suggested that going to a 4-3-3 may be the way forward. No doubt about it, Shireroth can attack. 14 goals in 3 games shows some form in the attacking department, which leads to the negative.

And perhaps this is the reason that prevents Shireroth from switching to a 4-3-3 - the defence. Defensively, Shireroth have been weak. After a sturdy start with a clean sheet, Shireroth then went to concede 10 goals in 2 games, clearly indicating an area for improvement. Although there has been some glimpses of solidity in all the matches, the failure to maintain the concentration for 90 minutes is proving to be a hard ask for many of them.

If we look at left back, Kirk Harmett has shown some attacking approach to the team and looks to be a key successor to Didinho; however a lack of opportunities last season due to the Valencian Gonzalo Reveilliere cementing the left back position has resulted in him moving across the border to Tellia. Didinho, who also plays in Tellia, looks pretty certain for the left back position and will add the much needed experience in the backbone of the team.

This leaves questions over right back and centre back. With no-one really impressing at either positions, the manager now has a headache. Matthew Castaraghi, who is used to be playing either position looks more effective on the right; however out of all the defenders, he probably has been the best in the centre of defence. Nuno Santos Gomez and Ronny Vermidion were too easily beaten against Nova England, and historically as the two main defenders, this casts huge doubts over their position in the starting line-up. Another possibility is Aslan Leijonid at centre back and for the right back, Fjalar Stefansson and Alexander Bonero could both be in contention, though neither of the two have really shone out.

Goalkeeping-wise, Edson looks the best statistically with the clean sheet, although he had nothing to do. And judging by Frederico's past record in the last international and the last Kaiser Cup matches for Mortis Mercatoria, he hasn't really set the world alight with some fairly average performances, although the dire defensive performance against Nova England meant he was not fully responsible for the 7 goals conceded. The stand out goalkeeper has to be Alejian du Nigrad. The youngster, who only 8 months ago was only a Maltenstein Academy player, really has helped Raikoth to finish ahead of Farvaelska and despite conceding three, the Yardistani goalkeeper looks in command of his defence and can really pull out some saves, giving some very mature performances.

If we look on it as a whole, Shireroth aren't in the best of shapes for the World Cup, but they're not in the worst either. I think the key thing we have to look out for is the defensive. There are still some questions to be answered regarding the tactics, but defensively Shireroth need to sort it out fast. When thinking about the prospect of playing Alexandria and Toketi, champions and finalists of the World Cups, you cannot imagine what it'd be like if the defence was to go into the tournament in this condition. Alexandria are very good at controlling the game, so the Shirerithians definitely need to work on what to do when they don't have the ball, and as for Toketi, they have some flair and top-notch forwards, so the defence really needs to improve.

It's something to look on the training pitch, but at least there's still time to correct these things and above all, once the final squad is announced, the strongest 11 can then be picked for us and only then we can find out the full story of the Shirerithian team and how they will cope on home soil.

Malliki

Re: World Cup Preparation Review

Post by Malliki »

Hasn't Lamberti been called up by Tellia?
Malliki Tosha
Acting Xonuti of the Free State of Sanilla
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Tarekseev

Post by Tarekseev »

Nope, he's Shirerithian. Mariolino Sonetti was capped and called up by Tellia in their provisional squad, but didn't make the final 23.

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Post by Kallinn Ynnetrrr »

Defense seems to be a very big problem for Shirithian teams as a whole. No one really stood out during the season, and it's a particular problem for JHI-LK that I'm looking to fix soon (We had an atrocious goal difference for a second place team, if I recall). I tried calling up a defender from Maltenstein, but that didn't really work that well. Might have to watch the world cup closely, see who I can throw absurd amounts of money at (Hurray for having the largest budget in the league!).

Tarekseev

Post by Tarekseev »

Agreed. Luckily though, Shireroth still have some defensive talent playing abroad - only problem is that they're only fullbacks and can only defend either on the right or left side. The biggest problem is the middle of defence. Our central defenders are leaving massive gaps, allowing for the opponent to exploit. Also I think alot of the defenders in the domestic league still rely too much on the offensive players (the attacking minded midfielders and the forwards) to score as many goals to limit their work at the back. This will not work intermicronationally. Toketi's been to the world cup consistently, they are always there or about in terms of competition, and their sturdiness will not let the attack in the same way as many would in the PSL. Alexandria are former champions, and if Shireroth just let them take over control of the game, then it will be game over. There will be one more friendly against Ashkenatza on Saturday, so we can only look to improvements ahead of next weekend's tournament start.

A Press Conference is to be called by the SAFL in 30 minutes time at the National Stadium Press Center, where the members of the public are open to ask any questions to the management (Squad Selection Will Be Announced)

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

That reminds me, I gotta get on top of Gralus's league soon.

Tarekseev

Post by Tarekseev »

Don't forget the World Cup squad. Kinda need that ASAP :)

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Well, MMFC didn't concede many goals and were undefeated champions. Couldn't this also partly be down to strategy? Gaps in the defence often come from the team playing too wide and/or too long. Perhaps if they tighten up a bit, maybe play a bit more aggressive too, we could see an improvement?
Malliki Tosha
Acting Xonuti of the Free State of Sanilla
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Tarekseev wrote:Don't forget the World Cup squad. Kinda need that ASAP :)
Nerts! I may have to take a tour of what Toketin are playing in other leagues. That, or pull up a bunch of unknowns to fill in the gaps where I don't know any players for.

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Kallinn Ynnetrrr wrote:Nerts! I may have to take a tour of what Toketin are playing in other leagues. That, or pull up a bunch of unknowns to fill in the gaps where I don't know any players for.
Hopefully our flash new wikisquads will help you there! :up2:

And I can also tell you Ichigo Trask, Jón Zyxveldtsen and Nick Furben of those lot now play elsewhere :)
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Wow, that's incredibly useful! (I'm surprised Kenstein isn't playing anywhere right now, having scored 4 goals in last year's World Cup)

Alright, I'll jump on that tomorrow or tuesday.

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

@Craitman and/or Hieu:

Toketi's WC Squad: http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2536

Return to “Ministry of Sport”