Citizenship Application and presentation of an idea

Handles the census, and migration to, from and within Shireroth; apply for citizenship here

Moderators: (Shireroth) Court Historian, (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser, (Shireroth) MiniInt

Alvis Braxton

Citizenship Application and presentation of an idea

Post by Alvis Braxton »

I am new to geofiction, but it sounds like fun and I have actually invented several fictional societies of my own already, I just never shared them with anyone before.

The reason I now want to join Micras is something else, though:

I have recently had an interesting idea for a technology that I think could revolutionize the way society works: What if lie-detectors actually worked?

I have written down my thoughts on the subject on my blog: https://floriandietz.me/accessible_mind/

Since I'm new to geofiction, I think for now I want to just get the idea out and see how other people respond to it, rather than found my own nation.

Here is the short version for my character:

Name: Alvis Braxton

Other Micronational Citizenship(s): Is an envoy from Oruk, a country I invented but haven't yet written about.

Extra information:

I come from a country that has recently invented a working lie-detector, and I am trained in its construction and use. The machine is expensive to build, works slowly and takes a team of trained experts to use reliably. However, when used correctly it can detect any kind of (deliberate) deception in a subject. It is based on the subject's own feelings of whether or not they are being deceitful.

As an envoy from Oruk, in which this technology is used on every level of society, it is my mission to introduce it to other societies.

The owners of powerful companies have already taken to the technology and are paying me large amounts of money. I use this lie-detector to let them get truthful answers from their high-level executives to such questions as "Have you embezzled money?" and "Have you done this because it was convenient for you personally or because you genuinely think it is good for the company?".

I am training other people to be able to use the lie-detector more easily, and the people in my home country are steadily improving the technology to make it cheaper and easier to use.

For now, the use of this technology is a legal grey area since few nations have bothered to create legislation on mind-reading technology (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm new to Micras). I will be interested in the way people respond to the idea:

-will the technology be outlawed?
-will its use be made mandatory for rich and powerful people to reduce corruption?
-will it be used in court, to determine the guilt of an accused?
-once the technology has matured more, will it be used for routine detection of criminals by a simple monthly question: "Have you committed any crimes we don't know about?"
-will it be used by a corrupt and evil government to oppress its citizens more effectively, as even the thought of rebellion can now be detected?

There is of course one major problem: Since this technology does not actually exist, we can't actually use it to check each others' honesty (except for very dedicated roleplayers). It's still interesting to imagine how it would impact the rest of society within a nation, though. If we want realism, we can just pretend that a small subset of the population are for whatever reason impossible to scan with this technology, and some of those people happen to be the current leaders of various countries.

BTW:

I am applying for citizenship in Shireroth because it seems to be the most popular country of Micras. If you think that this idea would also be well-received by the people of a different country for whatever reason, please tell me about it.

Where would it be most appropriate for me to post about this? I am interested in roleplaying a government, but mostly I want to see what others do with the idea.

Also, feel free to tell others about the idea if you think they would find it interesting.

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Re: Citizenship Application and presentation of an idea

Post by Ryker »

Is it someone new?
Well let me be the first to welcome you to Shireroth and the Micras community at large. I'm King Ryker, the paranoid old coot who's pretty sure everyone wants him dead :king: . Shireroth is indeed one of the larger nations as far as participants go (I think Natopia is the only place on par with us and that's because half of us are citizens there too). I like your idea and think this would be a very interesting setting for you to develop it in. I encourage you to do some basic research on us and the world you're entering as that's what we draw from and maintain for instances just like this.

Also:
There is of course one major problem: Since this technology does not actually exist, we can't actually use it to check each others' honesty (except for very dedicated roleplayers). It's still interesting to imagine how it would impact the rest of society within a nation, though. If we want realism, we can just pretend that a small subset of the population are for whatever reason impossible to scan with this technology, and some of those people happen to be the current leaders of various countries.
More likely, we rich and powerful would bribe enough people that such an exercise would yield the results we want :wink:
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Heath Belledin

Post by Heath Belledin »

Shh, don't corrupt the newcomer!

Er, I mean hi. I'm Heath Belledin, the only voice of reason in this country deputy president of the Elwynnese Senate, among other hats. My other character good friend Altea Lomax is on the Advisory Council of Brookshire, in addition to being the Seneschal of Zy-Rodun. Come visit us!

In an OOC context, my name is Hālian, and I'm also in charge of the Hoennese Realm, which you should also come visit!

I also have a non-Micras worldbuilding project called the Safir Alliance, which you should also also visit!

please visit :(
Dr. Heath J. Belledin
Played by Hālian

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

Greetings!

I am Mira of Octavius-Aryani, currently the Steward (effectively head of government). One thing you may notice over time is that we like to write and collaborate on stories, from one off things to extended plotlines. We write posts here as well as add things into our wiki when it's appropriate.

It might be interesting to explore this technology and the way in which different parts of society react to it by doing stand-alone and collaborative writings.

Either way, I hope you find yourself comfortable here

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Greetings!

Jacobus here, very possibly one of the oldest lifeforms on the planet, a bit over 7000 220 years. I've been gone about a millennium twenty-eight years, so I have no idea what is going on.

That never stopped anybody before, though!

(Revised by the Temporal Adjustments Bureau)
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Alvis Braxton

Post by Alvis Braxton »

Most of the threads I find on this forum are about specific laws and stuff that I have no knowledge of. Where should I go to write about my ideas and hopefully get other people to join in on it?

Kaiser Ayreon IV
AHS (Ayreonist Horror Story)

Post by Kaiser Ayreon IV »

Start a company! That's the best way to get your ideas noticed. Then the government might buy your services ;)

I am sure that owners of community servants or loyal subjects would love to use this technology in their household. Courts might too, and so on.

The best thing for you is to choose a city in Shireroth where you found your company, register it, and then show us what your company does. Then I am sure people will want to do business with you!
Ayreon IV
Former Kaiser of Shireroth (now dead)
RIC

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

The creation of a harmonious society, enabled by a coordinated state, enhanced by continuing technological innovation is an idea that has been knocking around here for a while now at various points, usually on a sliding scale of utopian-to-dystopian in vision, so to have some one who actually understands the subject pitching in ideas about it would be great. There are certainly institutions and characters that would seek to exploit the idea, for good or ill.

Alvis Braxton

Post by Alvis Braxton »

Kaiser Ayreon IV wrote:The best thing for you is to choose a city in Shireroth where you found your company, register it, and then show us what your company does. Then I am sure people will want to do business with you!
How do I do this? I understand that Micras is supposed to be very informally run, but do I just go to some board (which one?) and post about it, or is there more to it?
The Tarjeisson Trust wrote:The creation of a harmonious society, enabled by a coordinated state, enhanced by continuing technological innovation is an idea that has been knocking around here for a while now at various points, usually on a sliding scale of utopian-to-dystopian in vision, so to have some one who actually understands the subject pitching in ideas about it would be great. There are certainly institutions and characters that would seek to exploit the idea, for good or ill.
Where can I find those people? Is there any particular board for that?

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

To item 1: Yea, pretty much just post about it and it becomes canon. Only Goldshire requires an application and I only do that so I can keep track of them. Making a wiki page doesn’t hurt but that’s up to you.

Item 2: I think our friend was refering to us and the bastion community at large there. We’re all interested in that sort of thing.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Run and hide while you still can.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Verion wrote:Run and hide while you still can.
That's my line...

Heath Belledin

Post by Heath Belledin »

Verion wrote:Run and hide while you still can.
Be nice to the newcomers, you know how uncommon they are.
Dr. Heath J. Belledin
Played by Hālian

Continuator

Post by Continuator »

Talking of which, I'm sure someone notionally in charge will think to respond to the application at some point soon.

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Post by Li Naomiai »

Dear Mr Braxton

Welcome to Shireroth. I am currently deputizing for the Minister of the Interior, the Duke of Calezi, who will soon review your application. Until then, I have the pleasure of informing you of the current law.

In order to qualify for citizenship, a person must be a denizen with noble dignity.

Upon qualifying for legal residency in Shireroth, a person is automatically a denizen. Foreigners who seeks denizeniship in the Imperial Republic shall make certain that they (1) are free (not a slave, not in indentured servitude, etc.), (2) belong to a recognized sentient species, and (3) do not hold citizenship, denizenship or allegiance to any entity of evil or annoyance (as proscribed by imperial law).

If you swear that you meet these criteria, the Minister will award you a certificate of denizenship.

If you can make certain that you furthermore hold noble dignity, the Kaiser will review that aspect once denizenship has been awarded.
Li Naomiai Avon-El
Ayreon-Kalirion ibn al-Majeed al-Osman bin Sathrati of Waffel-Paine

Princess of Klaasiya, Duchess of Hoffenheim, Marchioness of Sentratera

Regent of the Imperial Republic and Imperial Minister for the Exterior (Shireroth)
Secretary of Legal Affairs in the Court of Noble Fountain (Natopia)

Alvis Braxton

Post by Alvis Braxton »

As an emissary of Oruk, I take oaths very seriously. So I have to ask what "an entity of evil or annoyance" is, just in case.

Also, after informing my superiors of this I have been granted a minor non-landed noble title to facilitate diplomatic contact. I now hold noble dignity.

Return to “Office of Citizenship and Nobility”