The Pentheral Museum

The global seat of the Dozan Bovic Church. A protected sovereign nation.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) Pentheros

Nathan

The Pentheral Museum

Post by Nathan »

Tom Mills

Tom Mills

Tom Mills

Franz Marc
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Nathan

Re: Hall of Idols and Icons

Post by Nathan »

Elijah Comforted by an Angel, 6 SE
Gustave Morose
Watercolor on paper
Gustave Morose attended the Lochhatonian Academy of the Liberal Arts where, after tiring of the Lochhatonian tradition of landscapes, began to paint fantastic and religious scenes. His work, and he himself, is not inherently religious but the technique and sublime beauty of the images he creates allows for religious experiences.

This work on paper was recently acquired by the Museum after Morose painted it following the martyrdom of St. Elijah the Beloved. Elijah is shown recently arrived in Galage, the souls' land of dairy, with the traditional shepherd's cloak and crook of the saints. An angel offers Elijah a golden crown for eternal life with one hand, while whispering into his ear that his lover, the Fourth of the Butter Deities--the living Man and our holy Pentheros--can never join him here. Elijah's expression of absolute despair at this news reminds us, here on Micras, to always love our companions, for nothing is certain, not even death.

Sindre Nemnai

Re: Hall of Idols and Icons

Post by Sindre Nemnai »

(Oh this is beautiful! Haha! :D :D :D We will have to have an exhibition of Elijah-inspired art!)
Sindre Nemnai
Forseten i Aldraraaðenom Sjooa i Hurmu
Be-Bega b'-u-Storbartar b'-u-Kwaj-ka w-Hurmu
Chairman of the Senate of the Lakes in Hurmu

Ric.

Nathan

Re: The Pentheral Museum

Post by Nathan »

(this is just the first of what I hope to be many re-interpretations. :) )

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Nathan and Elijah, 5 S.E.
A. N. Tenor
marble
A pair of statues of Elijah and Nathan commissioned by the couple for their wedding. It was originally intended to be placed in the Palace of Peace at Tielion Loki, where the two men shared their first married months as Kaiser of Shireoth and Prince of Elwynn. Their personal union was a bright ray of hope during critical times.

Here the two men are shown heroically nude, ready to defend the ideals of universal rights, decency, and self-determination, with force if necessary. The couple reportedly were not pleased with certain proportions of the depiction and the faces were "all wrong." They refused to pay when the artist refused to re-work the statue. The Museum acquired it from an art collector in North Tielion Loki. It has been put on display recently to celebrate the life of Saint Elijah.

Sindre Nemnai

Post by Sindre Nemnai »

Here the two men are shown heroically nude, ready to defend the ideals of universal rights, decency, and self-determination, with force if necessary. The couple reportedly were not pleased with certain proportions of the depiction and the faces were "all wrong." They refused to pay when the artist refused to re-work the statue. The Museum acquired it from an art collector in North Tielion Loki. It has been put on display recently to celebrate the life of Saint Elijah.
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

What is it in their hands? Not a.... you know... I hope?
Sindre Nemnai

Ric.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The hilts of swords :P

But that's only historians' best guess... who knows for sure :wink:

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Maybe free weights, they're working out?
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Sindre Nemnai

Post by Sindre Nemnai »

It is after all written in the Tetrabiblos, "thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's ass, thou shalt go to the gym instead".
Sindre Nemnai

Ric.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Acow.

:Jadie:

Perhaps shakeweights?

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Sisera, the Whore, 6 SE
Ed Manette
Oil on canvas

This painting was first exhibited in a gallery in Butter Cow City during the Purification Day Art Festival. It's portrayal of a prostitute fully in command of her presence is in itself uninteresting. Paintings of prostitutes are a common trope throughout the last century. However, the work was titled by the artist to identify the woman as Sisera, an evil being venerated in the less-civilized corners of the world and recognized by the Church as a demon.

Her identity as a whore conforms to the official state and church terminology used to demean and demoralize her and her followers. Sisera's commanding presence seems to glorify and empower her. Reaction to this work was immediate and negative. It was removed from the gallery after a patriotic vandal slashed the canvas near her genitals. It has been restored out of private funds.

Critics deride the work and Manette as cheap, attention-seeking, and "as much of a whore as who he claimed to paint." The obvious features of the woman are decidedly non-Jingdaoese as is the decor of the room. Said one critic in the Ziegeland Royal Art Review, "Mister Manette titled this piece well after the fact of it being painted. I suspect it was even done well before Sisera murdered the Beloved One. Manette simply wanted his work to get attention during the Dominion's most important annual art festival. It cheapens not only himself but reflects negatively on the festival too, a respected tradition now subject to media and political scrutiny."

The work was purchased by the Pentheral Museum at the personal request of His Holiness who cited only "historical importance" as a reason.

Deimos Jasonides

Post by Deimos Jasonides »

I never realized she would be so sensually portrayed when I commissioned this.
Deimos Jasonides| Деймоос Ясооннаи | Deimoos Jasoonnai
Grand Officer of the Holy Order of the Strait of Barbary
Former Prime Minister of the State of Talenore
Former Sovereign Prince of Elwynn

Just another Ric

Return to “Pentheral State of Athlon”