A treaty proposal by the Holy Empire

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) Secretary for Foreign Affairs

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

A treaty proposal by the Holy Empire

Post by Raz »

Your Excellency,

His Divine Majesty the Heavenly Light has asked me to negotiate a treaty with the Dominion of Natopia as part of his quest to build formal relations with all signatories to the Small Treaty of Non-Aggression. I have been authorized to negotiate a treaty based on the following concept.
Natopia-Jingdao Recognition Treaty

Article 1
  1. The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao recognize each other as independent and sovereign states and recognize the territory of each other on the continents and islands of Micras, as kept by the Micronational Cartography Society.
  2. The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao respect the territorial integrity of each other and will not plan or execute military attacks on each other.
Article 2
  1. The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao will solve future conflicts in a peaceful way, recognizing the legitimate interests of each other.
  2. The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao will inform each other of developments in their country which relate to this treaty.
Article 3
  1. This treaty will be in force until one week after one of the parties has announced to the other party that it has abolished the treaty or it has been superseded by another treaty.
  2. This treaty can be referred to as the Natopia-Jingdao Recognition Treaty.

Christo Eucalyptos

Re: A treaty proposal by the Holy Empire

Post by Christo Eucalyptos »

I thank his Divine Majesty for suggesting the formalization and re-iteration of the existing status that exists between us due to the mentioned Treaty of non-Aggression. Our government will take this under consideration and decide.

Thank you,
Christophos Eucalyptos
Retired Natopian Statesman,
Writer for the Bagelcratican Sporadically
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Your Excellency,

I write you to apologize that we have to cancel our offer for this treaty proposal. Yesterday our Divine Empress died and Jingdao is now governed by a regency council which is unable to create law. When His Imperial Majesty the Emperor reaches the age of maturity we will advise him to renew treaty negotiations.

With the most sincere respect,

Jing Xing
Diwang of the Holy Empire of Jingdao

Christo Eucalyptos

Your Excellency,

You have my sincere condolences on the loss of your Empress. We will continue negotiations at a more appropriate time.

Regards,
Chancellor Eucalyptos
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Your Excellency,

His Imperial Majesty the Heavenly Light has issued a decree ending the interregnum, we are capable again to restart negotiations.

With the utmost respect,

Song Zheng II,
Secretary of the Imperial Palace

Christo Eucalyptos

Thank you for the information. The Frenzy will resume debate.

For your reference legislators are currently debating on a proposed version of the treaty that alters some language as follows:
Natopia-Jingdao Recognition Treaty

Article 1

The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao recognize each other as independent and sovereign states and recognize the territory of each other on the continents and islands of Micras, as kept by the Micronational Cartography Society.
The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao respect the territorial integrity of each other and will not plan or execute military attacks on each other.

Article 2

Natopia and Jingdao will never recourse to violence or violation of the sovereignty of the other.

Natopia and Jingdao will aim to solve any and all disputes and conflicts, current or future, through dialogue undertaken in good faith.

Natopia and Jingdao will be contact with one another in all matters concerning their relationship or common interests. The governments of Natopia and Jingdao will not be precluded from establishing diplomatic missions in the territory of the other in the event that both governments agree to establish these missions.

Article 3

This treaty will be in force until one week after one of the parties has announced to the other party that it has abolished the treaty or it has been superseded by another treaty.
This treaty can be referred to as the Natopia-Jingdao Recognition Treaty.
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Excellency,

His Imperial Majesty is not opposed to those changes, except with the assumed typo on 2.3. His Imperial Majesty does however greatly regret the comments made by you regarding his late mother in the Frenzy regarding this amendment but due to his dedication to peace between our nations he has decided that this should not influence our relations. We would also like to point out that it would not be up to a single party to determine what legitimate interests are, this would merely be a hortation towards both parties to recognize each others interests.

With the utmost respect,

Song Zheng II,

Christo Eucalyptos

Secretary Zheng,

Typos and cosmetic changes will be made before final approval, thank you for your discerning eye.

I said nothing untrue about Sisera II. All comments of ruthlessness and blood-thirst were made while she was alive and were made in reference to her removal of her brother and father. I spoke no ill of the dead. Please emphasis these points to His Majesty.

Secretary Zheng, Jingdao must not continue to expect the world to ignore history and trends. I say this without even considering ancient events and animosities between us. The recent instability of three heads of state in rapid succession due to murder and induced suicide would cause any nation pause when entering into long-term bilateral relations. The fact that we are negotiating a treaty is a sign of progress in the right direction, but the world remains skeptical of your nation's past. That is why we are cautious to define such vague terms as "legitimate interests." Your assurances of a dedication to two-party discussion has done much to assure me, and I intend to put aside my personal feelings in the hope of securing a lasting peace, or at the very least a peaceful neutrality.

Regards,
Chancellor Eucalyptos
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Your Excellency,

I am afraid I must correct you. We did not have a "rapid succession due to murder and induced suicide" as you so ignorantly said. The abdication and suicide of Emperor Hirohito were done according to the customs of the Holy Empire, for the stability of the empire we cannot have a young and energetic heir on the throne waiting until her father reaches the end of his life. Emperor Hirohito noted this too and has never spoken out against this custom. The death of Empress Sisera's brother was a tragedy I must admit, but again done in order to provide stability to the empire and, I must stress this even if it sounds unbelievable to the ears of the Natopians, with his reluctant consent. I must stress that these acts were not carried out out of a thirst for blood and ruthlessness, this was a very difficult period for Empress Sisera as well. The death of Empress Sisera was a natural death, whatever you may think of it, I can assure you the Siseran Tègong would not have allowed anyone to harm Her Majesty but even the Tègong is not capable of preventing every instance of maternal mortality.

I hope that even if you disagree with our customs, you will find the wisdom not to portray our leaders as bloodthirsty or ruthless.

With the utmost respect,

Song Zheng II,

Christo Eucalyptos

Secretary Zheng,

It was a rapid succession nonetheless, regardless of customs. The mechanism of how the administration shifted is not important to this discussion anymore. Two of the three instances were condoned by the customs of Jingdao, and therefore constitute a concern for other nations who would want to be sure of the nature and type of administration they are agreeing to bind themselves by treaty. It is the fact that the administration shifted so abruptly over a short period of time that is concern.

To illustrate my concern more plainly for you: His Majesty could be removed and disappeared this very day and replaced with an emperor less moderate and less understanding and less willing to participate in world affairs. While this is a concern with all nations, the trend of shifting administrations has plagued this particular negotiation almost since it began, casting a shadow of doubt and uncertainty over the treaty negotiations.

That is my concern, a concern that is admittedly irrational as one cannot predict the future, and as I said, I am putting these fears aside in favor of this treaty. I hope that is sufficient for you. I wish the Emperor a long life and pray that Bous protect him so Natopia and Jingdao may grow closer in time.

Good day, your Excellency.

Sincerely,
Chancellor Eucalyptos
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Your Excellency,

It was not the accusation that a rapid succession has taken place that has not resonated well with His Imperial Majesty, we acknowledge that and do recognize the difficulties this brought. I will inform His Imperial Majesty that taking his vitamin pills more regularly would improve Jingdaoese-Natopian relations.

With the utmost respect,

Song Zheng II,

Christo Eucalyptos

Excellency,

Please find below a signed copy of the agreed upon draft, to be signed by you or your representative, so that the Frenzy may begin ratification procedures.

Thank you,
Chancellor Eucalyptos
Treaty of Recognition
between
The Dominion of Natopia
and
The Holy Empire of Jingdao

Article 1

1. The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao recognize each other as independent and sovereign states and recognize the territory of each other on the continents and islands of Micras, as kept by the Micronational Cartography Society.
2. The Dominion of Natopia and the Holy Empire of Jingdao respect the territorial integrity of each other and will not plan or execute military attacks on each other.

Article 2

1. Natopia and Jingdao will never recourse to violence or violation of the sovereignty of the other.
2. Natopia and Jingdao will aim to solve any and all disputes and conflicts, current or future, through dialogue undertaken in good faith.
3. Natopia and Jingdao will be in contact with one another in all matters concerning their relationship or common interests. The governments of Natopia and Jingdao will not be precluded from establishing diplomatic missions in the territory of the other in the event that both governments agree to establish these missions.

Article 3

1. This treaty will be in force until one week after one of the parties has announced to the other party that it has abolished the treaty or it has been superseded by another treaty.

Signed for Natopia:
Christophos Eucalyptos,
Chancellor of the Dominion

Signed for Jingdao:
X_______________
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Treaty of Recognition
between
The Dominion of Natopia
and
The Holy Empire of Jingdao

Article 1

Article 2

1. Natopia and Jingdao will never recourse to violence or violation of the sovereignty of the other.
2. Natopia and Jingdao will aim to solve any and all disputes and conflicts, current or future, through dialogue undertaken in good faith.
3. Natopia and Jingdao will be in contact with one another in all matters concerning their relationship or common interests. The governments of Natopia and Jingdao will not be precluded from establishing diplomatic missions in the territory of the other in the event that both governments agree to establish these missions.

Article 3

Signed for Natopia:
Christophos Eucalyptos,
Chancellor of the Dominion

Signed for Jingdao:
Heavenly Light of the Holy Empire of Jingdao

Raz

Post by Raz »

The Holy Empire has ratified the treaty. :herman:

Christo Eucalyptos

I am pleased to inform His Majesty that the Frenzy has just ratified the treaty between our two states.

http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 715#p98715
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

We are overjoyed.

Return to “Foreign Affairs Archive”