[Proposal] Treaty of Free Association with Natopia

The ancestral islands of the Amokolian people, now their refuge in the era of their greatest downfall.
Luix Rakira

[Proposal] Treaty of Free Association with Natopia

Post by Luix Rakira »

As I was elected in an unchallenged race in Amokolia Proper I would like to make my first official proposal in the Federal Assembly as the representative of my new home. We are fast approaching the time when Elwynn will be reunited with Shireroth and will let her territories go freely. Amokolia should be alone for awhile, to discover who we are and where we want to go. After a long term relationship ends its not prudent to not enter one again so soon. However, the realities of geo-political events warrant caution and practicality as well. I suggest that Amokolia enter into a state of free association with Natopia. We will keep full independence and maintain a separate infrastructure and government, but Natopia would take on responsibility for our defense in exchange for certain special privileges. I have not yet brought this draft to my contacts in Natopia, but based on their tone and interest in protecting Amokolia, I'm certain they would be supportive of such an arrangement. Of course, we will not be able to vote on this until Elwynn has dissolved our union territory status.

Treaty of Cape Oleslaad
between
The Federation of Amokolia
and
The Dominion of Natopia

In order to maintain Amokolian independence, stability, and regional peace, the Dominion of Natopia and the Federation of Amokolia hereby enter into a state of Free Association under the following terms and conditions:

1. The Dominion of Natopia hereby assumes all responsibility for the defense of Amokolia and to preserve the territorial integrity of Amokolia.

2. Natopia will be urged to maintain appropriate levels of diplomacy and friendliness with Ashkenatza and Shireroth to further assure the safety of Amokolia and her people.

3. The Federation of Amokolia hereby grants the rights to ports, military bases, and necessary resources to Natopia as required to maintain such an arrangement of protection.

4. Citizens of both nations will enjoy the right of free and unfettered travel between them.

5. The Premier of Amokolia will have speaking rights in the Natopian Frenzy to advise on matters relating to the Federation.

6. The Chancellor of Natopia will have speaking rights in the Amokolian Federal Assembly to advise on matters relating to the defense of the Federation and certain Natopian affairs.

7. Amokolia will maintain its separate infrastructure, legal systems, citizenship, and domestic policy. Amokolian communications may be hosted in Natopia's forum space.

8. Amokolia will maintain a separate foreign policy but is urged to not enter into treaties or agreements that would put undue and unnecessary stress on Natopia's obligation to protect Amokolia.

9. Amendments to this treaty may be proposed by either party. The amended treaty must be re-ratified by both parties.

10. Ratification of this treaty will be considered complete when both parties inform the other of successful ratification.

11. Either party may dissolve the state of Free Association and nullify this treaty by formal letter to the other party. The treaty will become void seven days after the receipt of such a letter.
Lûix Rakira

Nathan

Lord Erion

Re: [Proposal] Treaty of Free Association with Natopia

Post by Lord Erion »

Surely if Amokolia is reliant on another nation for certain matters, then it is not, by any definition, fully independent?
His Imperial Highness Erion of Waffel-Paine,
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Soreaa Isurui

Post by Soreaa Isurui »

Mssrs Rakira and Erion,

I am very happy to be with you today. I have just been confirmed Leng's member of this assembly. Although I feel that our constitution awards me disproportionate much power in relation to you two, I must honour the constitution and represent Leng.

I believe Lord... uh Comrade... Erion has a valid point about the word "independence". I suggest that the word independence in the proposed treaty be changed to "integrity". I am curious, however, as to his own views of the spirit of such treaty and not only his question about one single word. Perhaps he could answer.

I, myself, feel it would be in the best interest of Leng and of our Amokolian Federation to reach a bit more self-government than under the Elwynnese Union in this new arrangement, as a small step to full sovereignty that day to which we long when our founder will return.

Thank you.
Soreaa Isurui
Steward of the State (Elwynn)
Minister of the Exterior of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth

One of the Rics

Luix Rakira

Post by Luix Rakira »

No man, no nation, is an island (except for the ones that are islands). All nation are interconnected and rely on each other. Ones that don't are doomed to isolationism and eventual irrelevance and failure. Amokolia will remain independent in name and practice. But we must recognize the need to interact and rely on friends and allies. Our laws and policies will be at the sole discretion of our government. Maintaining the word "independence" in the preamble will reassure all parties that Amokolia will be calling its own shots.

If such a semantic discussion of the preamble continues to be offensive I would suggest "Amokolian sovereignty" be used instead as it carries similar connotations while still asserts our right to self-determination.

If Amokolia had a standing military I would propose that Natopia and Amokolia simply enter into a state of mutual alliance and protection. I would be happy to entertain the notion, I have some personal experience with raising armies in a short amount of time for nationalist causes.
Lûix Rakira

Nathan

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

But surely Amokolia would not be calling its own shots, particularly regarding the matters referred to in articles 1, 4 and 8?

And Soreaa Isurui, while your contributions are most welcome, there appear to be no records of your being a national of Elwynn, let alone a resident of Leng. If that is indeed the case, would you mind paying a visit to our Tourism, Immigration, & Nationality Office?
His Imperial Highness Erion of Waffel-Paine,
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Soreaa Isurui

Post by Soreaa Isurui »

I find that comment preposterous! If you feel I have no place here, you bring it to the Courts! Surely, if you have doubt (I have not), it sould be handled by the masters of law?
Soreaa Isurui

One of the Rics

Luix Rakira

Post by Luix Rakira »

Allowing a stronger and more stable nation access to our facilities in exchange for a guarantee is our decision. We would be inviting the Natopians to assist us in defending our land as we cannot by ourselves. Outsourcing one aspect of our policy does not diminish our sovereignty, especially when we retain the unilateral right to withdraw for whatever reason. Independence is not "doing everything yourself." It is having the option to be able to do everything yourself freely. Nothing proposed here robs Amokolia of the ability to choose for itself.

Allowing free access for citizens to travel between Natopia and Amokolia is a standard clause for most alliances, I see no reason why this is different.

Article 8 clearly states that Amokolia will maintain its own foreign policy. From a practical standpoint Amokolia, should it avail itself of this opportunity, would be foolish to enter into situations that would put unnecessary stress on its defenders as we have no formal, standing defense ourselves. By defining this practicality in the language of the treaty it avoids any later ambiguity and prevents Natopia from attempting to coerce Amokolia by threatening to withdraw protection. Now it is clearly laid out that Amokolia should pursue a practical and friendly foreign policy if it would like to continue receiving unbiased defense support.
Lûix Rakira

Nathan

Soreaa Isurui

Post by Soreaa Isurui »

With that interpretation, I agree to the Treaty!
Soreaa Isurui

One of the Rics

Luix Rakira

Post by Luix Rakira »

I thank Assemblywoman Isurui for her support!
Lûix Rakira

Nathan

Luix Rakira

Post by Luix Rakira »

I believe formal voting can begin now, considering our status as sovereign.

I vote in favor of the Treaty of Free Association.
Lûix Rakira

Nathan

Soreaa Isurui

Post by Soreaa Isurui »

In favour!
Soreaa Isurui

One of the Rics

Luix Rakira

Post by Luix Rakira »

The customary and standard three days of voting has passed.

This treaty has been ratified with 2/3 in favor. As the newly elected Premier, I will inform the Natopians of our ratification. Now we only wait for their vote to conclude.
Lûix Rakira

Nathan

Jess

Post by Jess »

So be it. Xx

Return to “Automatica”