Restriction on imagery used on the Shirewiki -- a proposal

Public domain archives of the Imperial Advisory Council before 1644.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Re: Restriction on imagery used on the Shirewiki -- a propos

Post by King Noah »

Well, I'm the guardian of Elwynnese culture, so it is simply my duty to protect Elwynnese cultural autonomy against outside interference. And I would do the same if someone unilaterally tried to restrict writing on ShireWiki about the Wars of Elwynn or ban images of the Union Defence Force from the same wiki.

Making the wiki more SFW is fine with me, but not without Elwynn's consent.
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia
Jarl and Grand Elector of Jorvik

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Elwynn has no right to the wiki. No state does. It's individuals in Shireroth, the real individuals in front of their phone or computer screen, who have the right to it. All of it.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Each Imperial State controls its culture, including where to display it, and very rightly so. This whole affair is a textbook example why.
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

King Noah wrote:Each Imperial State controls its culture, including where to display it, and very rightly so.
That's a stupid thing to believe. You're saying that if, for example, Krasniy had wanted to, he could have just deleted all things Goldshire when it was just him there and he would be within his rights doing so? Adopting this policy towards the wiki wouldn't do anything except make people join states just so they could have the same control on the wiki as they've always had up to this point.

What if someone who is no longer a citizen of a state and can't or won't become one (for story reasons perhaps) is an authority on a particular topic in that state's history? Are they not allowed to contribute? Do they need special permission? How is this permission given? A council that can't be made to care or a single person who might not see things objectively all the time because, you know, humans.

What if a state has a storyline where they are ruled by a knowledge controlling tyrant who changes wikipages to make a controversy go away or to fake the state's heroism? Everyone goes to the wiki for information about everything Shireroth. Would you expect everyone to be okay with blatantly false information being placed alongside what is supposed to be authoritative fact?

It seems like a lot more trouble that what we've had up to now.
This whole affair is a textbook example why.
I don't follow. I don't see any harm that's been done. We're all just talking.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

Use of the NSFW tag on NSFW imagery while allowing content itself to remain in the page for varied usage seems like a fair way of operating. Nothing is removed, nobody sees what they aren't interested in encountering.

I have to agree with Ryker on the matter of "controlling" cultural content. That would mean that I couldn't contribute to Elwynnese pages despite having spent some time in Elwynn and having an interest in collaborating from time to time with Ric and Ardy.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

Deeply religious. Strong and tall. Tough as nails. Inhumanly handsome. Hardworking and hard-partying. Well-endowed high-fantasy fertility culters. Nudists. Vikings. Overpaid, oversexed, and over here. Legal eagles. Dashing gastronomes and bon vivants with schwung and joie de vivre. Excessively fond of pomp and circumstance, pageantry, extravaganza, hólmganga, and pit fighting.
Seemingly prompted by this little discussion. Self-image can be a terrible thing. I am now obliged to imagine that there is an Elwnet broadcast terminal which has at least one radio frequency dedicated exclusively to the declaiming of sagas that laud the virtues and accomplishments of the Froyalanish, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Then every other community feels compelled to start their own chest-thumping propaganda channels, and soon the airwaves/bandwith are clogged. Mileage for another wiki article at any rate.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

It reads like Donald Trump if he spoke at higher than a 3rd grade reading level. We have the best food and the best culture. We're so tough you'll be tired of being tough!

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Mira Octavius-Aryani wrote:Use of the NSFW tag on NSFW imagery while allowing content itself to remain in the page for varied usage seems like a fair way of operating. Nothing is removed, nobody sees what they aren't interested in encountering.
That is a workable solution, which I have commenced implementing.
Mira Octavius-Aryani wrote:I have to agree with Ryker on the matter of "controlling" cultural content. That would mean that I couldn't contribute to Elwynnese pages despite having spent some time in Elwynn and having an interest in collaborating from time to time with Ric and Ardy.
Live and let live on the wiki, and than there will be no restrictions and other measures from the Elwynnese Union coming one's way.
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

One does not simply close a can of worms.

But seriously, we may as well settle it while it's in the air.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Thorgils Tarjeisson wrote:Seemingly prompted by this little discussion. Self-image can be a terrible thing. I am now obliged to imagine that there is an Elwnet broadcast terminal which has at least one radio frequency dedicated exclusively to the declaiming of sagas that laud the virtues and accomplishments of the Froyalanish, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Then every other community feels compelled to start their own chest-thumping propaganda channels, and soon the airwaves/bandwith are clogged. Mileage for another wiki article at any rate.
Mira Octavius-Aryani wrote:It reads like Donald Trump if he spoke at higher than a 3rd grade reading level. We have the best food and the best culture. We're so tough you'll be tired of being tough!
This is yet another textbook example of the wide socio-cultural gap between the Froyalanish and several others. We are very happy-go-lucky and we love life as well as the way the Gods have created us. :-D
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

I see that all of the better images I found have been replaced with their predecessors. Even her:
I'm pretty sure this is more about tits than content. Either that or it's like a hoarder putting all the junk back where it "belongs".
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Nope. The same action would be performed if someone who has no notion about the ways of the Union Defence Force would starting to change the imagery concerning their uniforms. It is all about cultural accuracy.
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Okay. Whatever...
Last edited by Ryker on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Mira Octavius-Aryani

That's exactly what it is...

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Return to “IAC Archives”