Proposal for Charter Amendment

Public domain archives of the Imperial Advisory Council before 1644.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Kaiser Hjalmar Redquill

Proposal for Charter Amendment

Post by Kaiser Hjalmar Redquill »

I wanted to gauge opinions from the IAC on my idea to amend the Charter's inactivity of Imperial States section. I would like that section to display a more respectful approach to the autonomy of Imperial States, and reflect a more civil and cooperative approach that favors efforts to preserve State autonomy as opposed to tilting in favor of loss of autonomy. Please let me know what you guys think.

ORIGINAL
Section D: Inactive Imperial States

An Imperial State that shows no activity for a period of one month, shall forfeit its autonomy and statehood.
AMENDMENT
1. An Imperial State that shows no activity for a period of one (1) month, the Kaiser, the Steward, or a designated official shall deliver a public notice to be posted in the inactive Imperial State's forum, and messaged to the leadership of the Imperial State, noting that the inactive Imperial State may lose its autonomy and statehood.

2. If the leadership of the inactive Imperial State does not respond to the public notice within a period of ten consecutive (10) days following the release of the public notice, that Imperial State shall forfeit its autonomy and statehood.

3. If the leadership of the inactive Imperial State responds to the public notice with a clear willingness to rectify the situation, the inactive Imperial State shall be put on a probationary period of no more than three (3) months, but no less than one (1) month, by which it can rectify its inactivity, via Kaiserial Decree.

4. If substantial activity and development occurs during the probationary period, the Kaiser may lift the probationary period through Kaiserial Decree. The Landsraad may vote by two-thirds to lift Kaiserial probation before it ends, should it find that the Imperial State has substantial activity and development.
KAISER HJALMAR REDQUILL
Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Re: Proposal for Charter Amendment

Post by Ryker »

I like it but could we perhaps add in something like a three strikes system. You can't be on probation more than twice in a year.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Kaiser Hjalmar Redquill

OOOH, good idea. I will add that.
KAISER HJALMAR REDQUILL

Noor bint Daniyal

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

I prefer the system as it currently is: it gives an incentive to states to have a post at least every month. That's all it takes. One lousy little post. If they can't manage that, or if other Shirerithians don't want to help out, I don't think the state should remain an imperial state. Better form new ones in that case, do something new. As the old obviously didn't work.
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

Kaiser Hjalmar Redquill

Noor bint Daniyal wrote:I prefer the system as it currently is: it gives an incentive to states to have a post at least every month. That's all it takes. One lousy little post. If they can't manage that, or if other Shirerithians don't want to help out, I don't think the state should remain an imperial state. Better form new ones in that case, do something new. As the old obviously didn't work.
I understand where you are coming from. What I'm trying to do with this reform is to respect State autonomy. I think that knocking a State down to Imperial Dominion shouldn't be done willy-nilly and should take into account the input of its people - at least some semblance or form of reaching out to its leaders. Maybe the leader has gone away and there is someone in there that is active and willing to step up to lead. Why not give them the chance to lead a State before dumping it into the Imperial Dominion box? And for a State to get sovereignty back they need to jump through a lot of hoops, right? If it gets treated as the formation of a new state. I understand where you're coming from, but from personal experience, I think an actual effort to perhaps treat State autonomy in this case with a bit more respect and provide at least some chance for redemption and to retain that autonomy is worth a shot. People's contributions, even if they stopped or if they're small, are at least worth some consideration before yanking autonomy. Just saying.
KAISER HJALMAR REDQUILL

Kaiser Hjalmar Redquill

1. An Imperial State that shows no activity for a period of one (1) month, the Kaiser, the Steward, or a designated official shall deliver a public notice to be posted in the inactive Imperial State's forum, and messaged to the leadership of the Imperial State, noting that the inactive Imperial State may lose its autonomy and statehood.

2. If the leadership of the inactive Imperial State does not respond to the public notice within a period of ten consecutive (10) days following the release of the public notice, that Imperial State shall forfeit its autonomy and statehood.

3. If the leadership of the inactive Imperial State responds to the public notice with a clear willingness to rectify the situation, the inactive Imperial State shall be put on a probationary period of no more than three (3) months, but no less than one (1) month, by which it can rectify its inactivity, via Kaiserial Decree.

4. If substantial activity and development occurs during the probationary period, the Kaiser may lift the probationary period through Kaiserial Decree. The Landsraad may vote by two-thirds to lift Kaiserial probation before it ends, should it find that the Imperial State has substantial activity and development.

5. If an Imperial State is on a probationary period three (3) times in the period of one (1) year, then it shall forfeit its autonomy and statehood without probation thereafter.
KAISER HJALMAR REDQUILL

Noor bint Daniyal

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

I appreciate the room for compromise.

How about this?

State has no activity (0 edits on Shirewiki on state articles AND 0 posts in its own forum) for 30 ASC units of time. > Automatic take-over by the Imperial Republic (the state loses autonomy but not statehood). The Kaiser's job (may be delegated to someone else) will then be to assess the future for the state by speaking to the affected people and other interested Shirerithians. The Kaiser will report to the Landsraad with zir recommendations (continued statehood under previous government/constitution, dissolution of the state, or continued statehood with new constitution).

After 30 ASC, the Landsraad must vote on the Kaiser's recommendations. Two options will always be on the ballot (Status ante loss of autonomy AND dissolution). If the Kaiser's recommendation is different, there will be three options. If no option receives majority, the highest-two options will go on to a second round of voting. The winning option of that one will be what happens to the state.

Example

Rickystan is inactive for 30 days. Automatic loss of autonomy. Kaiser visits Rickystan, and some residents actually discuss matter with Kaiser. In Kaiser's view, problems with inactivity is because Ric has been an evil ruthless leader who bullies people out of saying or contributing anything. Kaiser returns to Landsraad with a recommendation that basically says:

"If Ric's powers in Rickystan would be reduced, things would be better. We'd make Rickystan a constititional monarchy instead with a new constitution with Ric being a symbolic figure head than an evil dictator."

The Landsraad then votes. The options:

Status quo ante: 7 votes
Dissolution: 5 votes
Kaiser's recommendation: 6 votes.

There is no majority for any road, but the two biggest options go to round 2:

Status quo ante: 8 votes
Kaiser's recommendation: 10 votes

Now there's a majority. RIckystan gets a new constitution and statehood is restored.
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

I'm in two minds here. On the one hand, I appreciate the Kaiser's concern for the states, but on the other, as Queen Noor has pointed out...it's only one post per month.

Basically I'm happy to go along with what the rest of you feel is best on this one.
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

I disagree with using wiki activity as a gauge for actual activity unless it is a sizable contribution made by a citizen of that state.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Return to “IAC Archives”