History of New Jersey

Located in Southern Apollonia, the people of the Old Oil Rig live their lives in a simple manner and by the grace of the Lord.
Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

History of New Jersey

Post by Raz »

Are there any people who have memories of work done in New Jersey (name given to the area claimed by the Olriggians) in the past, apart from the Republic Flanders? I'm not going to look the maps up because I am 1) lazy 2) not interested in history no-one remembers.

Craitman

Re: History of New Jersey

Post by Craitman »

Riponia's the last non-Flemish claim there that I can recall, so we're talking almost a decade ago. A real decade, not an ASC or AN one, too :P
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Janus Eadric

Post by Janus Eadric »

Involved in the hobby since 2002 and I don't remember "New Jersey". It's irrelevant, do what you want, I'd say.
His Serene Highness
JANUS
Prince of the Most Serene Union of Thalassa, Neridia, Istvanistan, and St. Andre
Member of the Central Committee of Edgards

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Janus Eadric wrote:Involved in the hobby since 2002 and I don't remember "New Jersey".
It's just what Orion called the region west of where Universalis once had a territory called "Montauk" which was somewhat geographically similar to New York ;)
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Janus Eadric

Post by Janus Eadric »

Of course. I remember Montauk. Wars have been fought over the island. But I don't remember New Jersey.
His Serene Highness
JANUS
Prince of the Most Serene Union of Thalassa, Neridia, Istvanistan, and St. Andre
Member of the Central Committee of Edgards

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

There's no New Jersey to remember. It's a wink to the fact the region's near New York Montauk...
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Primo de Aguilar

Post by Primo de Aguilar »

Oh, Olriggia, the platform we call our own...we've quit the oil and rig pretty slick, and cows and moose we hunt, right quick
Jaime Augusto Joaquin Primo de Aguilar, PC, GLH, GCNM, FSM, OGKC
Autokrator of Constancia and Co-Ruler of the Kingdom
Kanikleios to Basileusa Megaliótate Cleo, Autokrateira of Constancia
Strategos of the Thema Oranjēsiōn
Minister of Finance, International Trade and Industry and Kyvernítis of the Basileusian Bank,
Sýmvoulos of the High Court of the Free and Associative Kingdom of Constancia
Secretary-General, Micras Treaty Organization
Penultimate De jure Consul for Defense of the Empire of the Alexandrians
Alexandrian exile
Son of Santiago, Santander

Raz

Post by Raz »

If you had written that in December they would give you a FNORD for poetry.

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

OK, so short, short version of a history lesson:

Back in the old days, when the MCS was just getting going, the Apollo Sector had already established itself with a bunch of varied micronations. Several other cartography organizations popped up as rivals. Cyberia had their own thing going. Another was called Micro-Monde. It was a collection of various small micronations.

At some point we convinced Micro-Monde to join the MCS. They did, and thus was born Mondesia. One of the component nations of Mondesia/Micro-Monde was a country called Amerada, a mash-up of Canada and America. Liam was part of this, so he may recall additional details. At any rate, Amerada had all these mash-up names (Saskaberta, Camerica, etc). They chose this area to settle since it was a mirror image of Long Island and an adjacent section of New Jersey.

Parallel to all this, Bill, who designed a good portion of Apollonia, was from Long Island. Originally the area was called New Long Island, as he wanted a homage to his hometown (or homeisland...). This name stuck until, oh, around 2003ish. I was MCS Admin at the time and we started getting complaints that Micras shouldn't mimic Earth. Changing the map was considered more inviolable than desecrating a church, meaning that option was out. So to differentiate the two I started calling the island Montauk (after the western end of Long Island, and for Montauk Daisies that I grow in my garden). The name stuck, and today we still have Montauk.

Raz

Post by Raz »

Suid West province? So that means Dutch was already spoken there then... :posh:

Return to “Alrig”