A step forward (?)

Moderator: [Jingdao] Guanchang

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

A step forward (?)

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Senators,
After having set my own doubts aside, I have decided to publicly start a discussion about the future of our Confederation. I think it's the right time for us to make certain decisions.

Looking back to many ASC years, I noticed that our goals to establish an united nation could be a success: in name we are a Confederation, but this is just in theory. Practice shows us that the people of Aryasht, 'Kildare', Nessus and the River Warriors freely move through the country. They enjoy the advantages of each others cultures, they are all guarded by the Legions and Defence Forces, and since the establishment of this nation, I have not seen any important political struggles which show that the ethnic groups can't work together. Even more: we saw how local political institutions were (informally) looking more and more towards Apollo City, waiting to receive their orders.

Yes, our cultures differ from each other. But is that a reason to be politically divided? I think, and will say loud and clear: no!

Some proposals (of which most are already in practice anyway):

1. When people talk about the Confederal Assembly, they talk about the Seanad with its Senators. I propose that we formally change the name to avoid future confusion. With this change I would also like to name change the position of 'Chancellor' into 'Grandsire'. In respect to our brethren in Aryasht.

2. The end of the Confederation: I propose that we change back to being the Apollonian Republic. I like that name and I know many others do too. We become a centralised state with provinces. I'm from the opinion that those divisions are unnecessary and should only be made in cultural context (we could refer to Kildare, Aryasht,... as 'cultural republics', but they no longer officially exist).

3. The governors, appointed by the Seanad and/or Caudillo, will act as representatives of the central government towards their people and as representative of their local cultures towards the government in Apollo City. Not much would change with this idea, but I would like to let the Seanad (or Caudillo) re-affirm the governors every month (more or less 30 ASC years) in their position. This isn't much more than a formality through a quick vote, but it would symbolise that the province they were entrusted to rule is not their own play garden but a 'gift' from the Apollonian Republic towards them.

OOC:
I think it's clear that I would like to create more of a façade of a republic, ruled by the Caudillo and his Senators. I expect that on national level, there will exist an aversion of royalty and a monarchy. The Caudillo could be sworn in and be seen as protector against the re-establishment of the monarchy (ironically of course, as the Caudillo often acts as a monarch). For a real life example: the Roman emperor Claudius had insisted that he would take the ancient republican oath in which he declared to prevent the rise of a new king.

I had the feeling that when I talked with Orion that we were on the same line, but perhaps he has some suggestions on his own?
Hadrian Myksos

"Extra Siseram nulla salus, extra Germaniam nulla vis"

Jonas

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Re: A step forward (?)

Post by Raz »

I fully agree with these proposals.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

I too agree, but I don't think I'd be affected very much by them, and am interested in what the citizens of the confederated territories feel about this.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

What would be the list of provinces under this proposal?
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

If I'm interpreting this correctly, there won't be any provinces.

Speaking purely OOC; I designed Apollantis to be strongly imperialistic, and I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile that with this proposal. Note I don't have any real objection to the idea, I just can't figure out how to make what I want to do in Apollantis work with the overarching anti-imperialist sentiment. If you have any ideas, I'm certainly open to them.

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Orion wrote:If I'm interpreting this correctly, there won't be any provinces.
I was thinking of keeping the provinces around (but without far-going political powers). They would be ruled by Governors (who get appointed by the Senators or Caudillo).

Speaking purely OOC; I designed Apollantis to be strongly imperialistic, and I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile that with this proposal. Note I don't have any real objection to the idea, I just can't figure out how to make what I want to do in Apollantis work with the overarching anti-imperialist sentiment. If you have any ideas, I'm certainly open to them.
Honestly, I hardly see any problem with Apollantis being imperialistic. The Caudillo himself sits on a huge throne and acts like an emperor himself. The only difference with a monarchy is that he pretends to respect the republican values (which is a farce). Apollonians aren't used to democracy, so I imagine that what they call democracy is simply getting the chance to eventually grow in wealth and class (e.g.: by joining the armed forces, even a peasant can make a small fortune if he's in the right place on the right time).
The anti-monarchic attitude is mostly a result of propaganda against Shirerithian nobles and the Kaiser, who they see as people who once oppressed them.

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant with 'imperialistic'? :doc:
Hadrian Myksos

Jonas

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Jack wrote:What would be the list of provinces under this proposal?
I think I would more or less keep the current provinces: perhaps reshaping Central Kildare a bit to have a nicer shape, Nessus would become a province, expanding Riveroria a bit too (or whatever the province with the River Warriors will be called).

I wouldn't look at the amount of provinces too much: we can appoint fictional governors and some us can pretend to play in their place if they have the time.
Hadrian Myksos

Jonas

Ledari Kukat

Post by Ledari Kukat »

With due respect, I'd rather that the River Warriors would keep the current name and retain its current boundaries, and also retain some degree of autonomy (hence why we joined the A.C. to begin with).
Ledari Kūkat Daga-Wæ̈ló
Chief of the River Warriors' Administrative Region

(Played by Barnaby)

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Honorable Senator Kukat,
Are we not all Apollonians? Are we not all brothers and sisters rallying under the same banner? Don't we all fight for the same Fatherland, in the same Army, and for our Caudillo?!
Let's destroy those ridiculous republics which keep us from being truly one nation! Let's change the laws so the theory is the same as what we already do in practice! Why would there have to political autonomy and division? We already have provinces, and districts!

Honestly, I don't really care how the province of the River Warriors would be called. I don't even care if they stay as small as they are now, but it seemed to me that a small expansion wouldn't hurt.

OOC: Not sure what your RL opinion is... :wink:
Hadrian Myksos

Jonas

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

In light of some of these replies, I feel that what we would gain from disbanding the confederacy would be less than what we would lose. No need to upset a system that is working for us. We are indeed all Apollonians; let our people be Apollonians in ways that let them take pride in their banner.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

I have always favored the unitary proposals of the initiator of these views.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Harvey wrote:In light of some of these replies, I feel that what we would gain from disbanding the confederacy would be less than what we would lose. No need to upset a system that is working for us. We are indeed all Apollonians; let our people be Apollonians in ways that let them take pride in their banner.
I don't really see anything we would lose, honestly. We Apollonians rely mostly on our traditions and less upon the piece of paper we call 'law' or 'constitution'. I'm not trying to force any changes upon our people through approving a new constitution, I'm merely asking that we approve a new constitution which confirms what we are (and have been from the start): an unitary state with several different Apollonian cultural groups living together in harmony.

Honestly, I think that the largest change would be that we would call ourselves officially 'Apollonian Republic' from now.

(That said: trusting upon tradition, I would propose to limit the size of the new constitution, because we have a tendency to ignore what the laws say anyway =p ).
Hadrian Myksos

Jonas

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Aryeztur wrote:I have always favored the unitary proposals of the initiator of these views.
For which I thank you and the loyal people of Aryasht. Together we will dominate Micras and bring prosperity to those who are terrorised by their ruling classes!
Hadrian Myksos

Jonas

Return to “Haigui Lane 21 [Seanad Archives]”