[HRE] An Auspicious Visitor

Entrance to the Imperial Palace. Please first make an appointment with the Heavenly Light or His Imperial Household staff here. DIPLOMATS HERE!

Moderator: [Jingdao] Guanchang

[HRE] An Auspicious Visitor

Postby Shiro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:23 am

Ralgon Ambassador wrote:*The Ralgon envoy provisionally sent from his own nation bows deeply to the present company in a show of his respect, without compromising his undying loyalty to his own sovereign and country.*

From his position in the backdrop, he adds that he, too, fervently believes that obedience to one's own enlightened sovereign is among the highest of callings that any man may answer in his own mortal life. One of the few others of equal importance, of course, is devoting life in service to the gods.

He further offers praise to the Heavenly Light for displaying such enlightenment and the honor he feels for having witnessed it. He then states without hesitation or doubt that the Ralgon Emperor would undoubtedly be immensely pleased to know that such a being (that is, a true force of enlightenment and a consequent bastion against chaos) exists in the same world as his sovereign.

Jonas wrote:*The clerks bow politely to the Ralgon emissary.*

"Welcome, honourable zhu, your way of thinking is an example to all nations and living creatures in this world. May we ask what your reason is to visit us? And please, we will prepare a separate room for you, where you can drink divine tea and nibble on excellent biscuits."

*Prince Draeg'ar Ral bows again, his minimalist, almost-military uniform showing no overly fancy decorations (regardless of the importance) and no unnecessary jewelry, as befitting Ralgon custom. Whatever unique items he wears, he obviously does so with deep and pointed purpose in service to his own country. Not a single wisp of anything is out of place on this man, right down to his Germanic-style moustache.*

"Thank you for allowing me the honor to speak to you, and to remain in this sacred place to hear your words. I am Crown Prince Draeg'ar Ral XIV, and I am present at the behest of my sovereign, the recently-crowned Emperor Shiro of the Ralgons. We offer tokens of our profound esteem to the Heavenly Light of the Jing. We desire harmony to be instilled upon this world as well, and we have found the Jing to be a people who also desire such a thing. For this we are grateful and joyful beyond words, and for this our own Emperor as sent me in his place to personally express this sentiment."

Once again, he bows deeply in respect before continuing the second half of his greeting, as is the custom from his homeland in such places when introducing others of higher social status than one's self.*

"My own Emperor expresses his deepest regret that he is unable to make the journey here himself. In his strength and wisdom he has sent me, his elder brother and the most senior member of our nobility after our esteemed sovereign, in his stead, in hopes that my presence is acceptable to you. Along with me he sends gifts from his own person to your Emperor, as well as a letter written with his own hand."

*He meekly cooperates with the clerks and follows them to an antechamber away from the larger discussion taking place. For the most part, he appears relaxed and perfectly composed, but for the way he treats the parcel he holds under his left arm. It is obvious that he carries some sort of truly sacred object, and asking for him to part with it before the appointed time is exactly the same as asking for him to hand his soul over to burn in hell.*

Unlike the parcel, the attendant letter has been thoroughly inspected for security reasons. Quite unusually for such a thing, the letter bears no decorations, illustrations, or even anything remotely of the sort. The sole visual artwork was the two seals which had to be broken, one after another, for the letter to be opened. Between the Ralgon prince's toned down look and the letter's almost brutally simple layout, it was extremely clear that the Ralgon nobility consisted of extremely austere people by nature - even among those who weren't already battle-hardened by dragon attacks.

An extremely well-trained eye could tell that the letter was written by someone with injuries, presumably from battle. That said, it is clear that a tremendous amount of effort went into its writing, which was only done with the finest of inks and on paper made from an unknown, but extremely fine substance which was no doubt acquired at great cost to its previous owner. Despite its incredibly austere presentation, the letter's exquisitely executed penmanship made up for its lack of extra decorations.

The Ralgon Emperor's Letter wrote:To the Chidao Emperor, most honored and esteemed Emperor of the Jing nations, and Heavenly Light to the Adherents of the Tianchaodao and to his peoples:

I, Emperor Shiro Ral I of the Ralgons and ruler of the Island of Dragos, and the people of the Holy Ralgon Empire send our warmest greetings to who we trust to, over the course of time, come to be counted an esteemed friend of us our people. I trust that this letter has reached you and brings at least small comfort to know that we come as would-be friends.

I am deeply saddened by my inability to make the journey to your Court from my home land. I am still recovering from injuries sustained in a recent battle with an elder lightning dragon, which I vanquished with the aid of my most loyal compatriots, after the beast caused great suffering to our people. I hope to share our victory with you in some small part with a dagger carved by our very best craftsmen, made entirely of a claw that I personally took from the dragon after I dealt the beast its death blow. Despite its construction of bone, its unique properties and its exquisitely finished make render it sharper and more durable than any steel blade produced with the most modern technology. May this dagger serve and protect you and your servants for eons to come.

As a further token of my esteem and friendship, I have sent one of my favorite jewels: the Third Star of Jento, which is carved from one of the largest natural fire diamonds ever found in our territory. In addition, I have included an assortment of gems of great size from our forges. Only a very few are ever made, and so I was blessed by the gods with the opportunity to personally oversee their construction. These stones represent some of the finest jewels we have produced to date. It is my hope that you will accept these gifts and remember us fondly.

It brings me greater joy to finally meet a compatriot in this world who hold as strong a love of harmony as I do, than when I gave the order to glass the Great Swamp and end the worst phases of a bitter war we have waged for eons against that place and its manifold horrors. It is the desire of all good Ralgons, as well as myself, to achieve peace and harmony in this world, and it is my hope that you and your honored servants harbor the same hearts as me and mine.

I have left my older brother, Crown Prince Draeg'ar Ral XIV of the Holy Ralgon Empire to serve as an intermediary between us, should his presence be acceptable in your Court. He is a man of the highest possible quality. He is among my elder brothers, and a direct descendant of my most honored predecessor, the Emperor Emeritus Nobunag'an Ral IV. As the longest-serving Crown Prince, he is also second only to myself in our order of precedence within our systems of nobility here. I fervently hope that you and your servants accept him with the kindness and friendship I have shown your servants who currently reside within the Holy Ralgon Empire's borders.

Written and Signed by my own hand in friendship,

Emperor Shiro I of the Ralgons,
The 6th Day of the 28th Phase, Standard Year 1674.
Here is Affixed the Signature of:

His Most Virtuous Excellency,
Shiro I, Emperor of Ralgon
Shiro

Re: [HRE] An Auspicious Visitor

Postby Jonas » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:28 am

*The clerks and bound servants were baffled. Those foreigners had been nothing less than the excellent guests. No mistakes had been made. Every tradition had been honoured, as if it had come natural to those Ralgons. If Zhang San, the Diwang of the Great Jing Dynasty, hadn't known better, he would have thought that those foreigners were Jingdaoese in disguise.

Could it be... no, it was almost too ridiculous to consider... but could it be, that the Ralgons and Jingdaoese shared a common heritage? No, that was just silly. Or wasn't it?

Not that it really mattered at this point. There were more pressing matters.*

"Give this man our best and most expensive tea," he whispered to a bound servant, who nodded almost unnoticeably and ran away towards the kitchen.
Zhang San
Diwang of the Jingdaoese Empire
Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Postby Shiro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:52 pm

If ever you find yourself uncomfortable in another man's house, do not blame or despise the man for following his own path. Instead, scowl at whichever one of the Gods caused your path to intersect with such an inauspicious point. So long as you lay your burdens before the Gods' feet, the rest will usually sort itself out.

*Emperor Shiro's words from several years before his coronation (and this present situation) ring in Prince Draeg'ar's head, and he is well inclined to scowl at several of the Gods for the events that led to this tension-filled moment. He wonders just what his Emperor's secret to looking so at home everywhere was.*

*Prince Draeg'ar continues to sit upright in his dangerously comfortable chair, resisting the urge to recline and relax his posture. Suppressing his intense desire to actively investigate outright what happened, he is forced by his own rules of tradition to maintain a consistent posture and retain a look of serenity. This means a refusal to crane his neck, turn his back, and shift his eyes around too much while he is seated, well, anywhere. Especially here.

Thus, he passively listens very carefully. Between the whispers, the shuffling, and the intense stares of the servants within the chamber, the Prince becomes fully aware that there's something he might have done to change the room's atmosphere on a fundamental level. He then spots an oddly Ralgon-esque looking dragon mural at the far end of the chamber... and it all comes rushing back to him.*

Do you remember that one expedition where I fell into that lightning dragon's den and had to fight the dragon inside to survive? It was there that I found what harmony really is: it's that serenity we find when we balance the order and conflict both within and around us. It explains why we can only bring out the best in ourselves during the worst of times.

*Prince Draeg'ar remembers his sovereign's words, and with his newly enlightened point of view, considers his surroundings. It wasn't that people seem to be surprised that things are going wrong... it appears to be the stark opposite, and it's giving everyone a shock. The Prince thinks carefully... and it gives him a shock as well, to the point where his expression almost breaks composure. He's been observing Ralgon customs the entire time, with little prior knowledge of exactly how the Jing conduct business... and yet every single thing has been moving in lockstep, without so much as a moment's hesitation from anyone present.*

Impossible. It just can't be right.

*The more he thinks on it, though, the more it sinks in, and the color begins to ever-so-slightly drain from his face.*

In the meantime, if this theory is right, then it's also likely that ALL the Gods are in on this bad idea of a joke.

*In the meantime, though, the Prince decides to continue monitoring the situation like a hawk, while patiently waiting for the next phase of events to unfold. He awaits further confirmation of his theory, and honestly can't tell if he would rather be right or be crazy for thinking this nonsense up after all. He has only to wait and see. If this were the Ralgon Imperial Court and they were especially pleased with a gift, the tea would be brought right about now...*

Shiro

Postby Jonas » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 am

And it did. A number of bound servants (recognisable by their distinct green outfit) entered the room at exactly the moment the Ralgonese had expected it to happen. Ancient tradition dictated that the Jing, when the proper formalities were followed had to make the guest feel at home. The best tea, directly from the Heavenly Light's stock, was brought in. Cups were also brought which were decorated with drawings of elegant dragons and other mythical creatures, which had been perceived extinct.

Diwang Zhang San looked happy. He may have given the order to bring out the best, but it seemed that the Heavenly Light Himself had given him, a mere pitiful mortal, green light to proceed in those talks. He himself had only touched those cups a few times throughout the more than twenty years of service to the Crown, and that was in the rare presence of the honourable diplomats of Krasnocoria and the Bassarid Empire.

"It seems that the Heavens favour you, Prince Draeg'ar. While I'm merely a low servant, serving my Empire the best I can, the Heavenly Light seems to have blessed this meeting."

The government leader of Jingdao suddenly switched gears. The tea cups were filled and gone was the attitude of a humble servant. He now sat before the prince as a diplomat. "We are aware that your country has little experience with the outside world. Keeping the monsters of this world in check has taken a toll of your honourable people. We, the Jingdaoese, can only respect and admire your people's attitude, as we have done the same throughout our long history. Honour to the Ralgon!"

The two bowed to each other and sipped from their tea.

"This brings us to the reason you are here, honourable zhu. What do you exactly want from our country?"
Zhang San
Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Postby Shiro » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:29 am

*The Prince sips from a cup that is obviously crafted by some of the finest artisans that any amount of money could buy. He notices the exquisite workmanship of the piece, and the fact that while it was clearly old, it was almost never used. One sip of some of the best tea he had ever tasted told him that the gifts were more than just well-received. It seemed that their Emperor himself had taken an interest in their meeting, despite its abnormally short notice. It was clear as day that his Emperor's words had reached theirs, and they seemed to like whatever it was he had to say in his letter.*

It seems that I am truly being honored here. I must, in turn, show my deference to these people as I have been instructed. Equally as importantly, it is obvious that our cultures are far too alike to warrant any dismissal of the thought anymore. I must tell the Emperor and confirm his theories on the matter, and follow his instructions for honesty and deference at all times. Until then, one thing at a time.

*As the two bowed to one another in mutual respect, while the honorable Jing counterpart (himself seeming to be in a position of great authority here) fields his question and truly confirms his and Emperor Shiro's theories: the two people might indeed share a common heritage, whatever that might have been.*

*Prince Draeg'ar's turn to speak comes. He is sitting down and he is across from someone of seemingly equal station to his own. Noting that he was already being honored with nothing but their absolute best and most exquisite tea and accoutrements, he inclines his head in respect when he is spoken to, as it is rude to bow to another while seated with any form of food or drink.*

"You and the glorious Heavenly Light of the Jing have already honored me far more than I ever dared to hope. My Emperor will also be overjoyed to know that his words have reached you. My Emperor is, among many other things, an avid academic and he noticed that the most honored peoples of Jingdao have strikingly similar cultural norms as ours. In addition to seeking relations between our peoples, he also sent me to ascertain his theories with my own eyes. *Prince Draeg'ar gives a respectful, customary pause between major thoughts in such a setting.

*He then moves directly from the subject to what he has been told and thinks of the matter, to what his esteemed Emperor himself instructed his emissary on what he must say and do.* "Beyond the desire to learn all he can from such an honored people, my Emperor's words and instructions to me are very simple, and very specific. We bring a profound desire for friendship with you and yours. We desire to undertake those tasks that friends normally would: we would openly trade with you in terms and ports of mutual benefit. We would be honored to continue to protect you and your own in our own land, and humbly request the same in turn. Just as the honored Jing and their most glorious Heavenly Light have graciously welcomed me and mine into your court that has been so clearly blessed by the Gods, our Emperor has informed me that he would be delighted to personally host you in the same capacity."

*The Prince pauses with genuine emotion, before composing himself and carrying on.* "It is as you say: we have little interactions with the outside world, and it is also true that our battle with the monsters has taken a grievous toll upon our people, even scarring our beloved Emperor himself. However, our war with these fell beasts, after so many centuries of courage and sacrifice by our brave people, is finally coming to a close. As we speak, we are deploying our most powerful ordnance to clear the world of such threats. As such, we are for the first time in centuries able to safely open our country up to the world and all it has to teach us. My Emperor has commanded me to state that, if we build trust betwixt one another, and if ever the Jing have need of such force to deal with similar vermin (be it man or beast) that threaten the weak and innocent, our Emperor and his people would be honored to continue using it in our mutual defense."

Even though the setting had now changed, Emperor Shiro had given Prince Draeg'ar very explicit instructions: Never break protocol. Never step out of line. Regardless of the Jing's response (good or evil) he was to retain the utmost dignity at all times, without exception. It was customary for the Ralgons in another's house to show them the exact same respect as they would their own lord, or even as they would in front of the Emperor himself if it was an important person's house. Although this came from an era where a host could easily kill a deeply offensive guest and justify his actions to the court, the trend still holds strong to this day.

Even if the Emperor himself stepped into a pauper's hovel, the two would be on equal terms: one would be the Emperor, and he would be under the roof of that house's master, even if it was a trash heap. This was the exact opposite end of the spectrum: this was the Palace of the Jing's Light of the Heavens, and thus any such rules wouldn't just be followed: they would be adhered to religiously.

Shiro

Postby Jonas » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm

The Diwang noticed how the Prince followed the required etiquette almost flawlessly, something which he found astonishing, as many of the Empire's closest allied diplomats had not even mastered it after all these years. He took Draeg'ar for a devout and spiritual man, as he spoke about his people's struggle with passion. The prince learly didn't look for compassion or sympathy. In front of him sat, and sipped, a man with a tea cup who had taken the role his people played in smiting down the enemy's of mankind as his divine duty. Not one Jingdaoese didn't know what that meant.

Yes, his people may have enjoyed an era of relative tranquillity, but he remembered the Geming War as it was yesterday: mutated bound servants swamped the lands, while the Danya Emperor had heroically fought them off, only to disappear (most likely been killed) during a final charge. The natural order had eventually been restored by the Sheng Emperor, but it taken a toll of the Empire and the survivors. Those days were long gone, but the struggle certainly not forgotten.

"These monsters - we call them, baishens - are a threat to the world and its Children, noble prince. Our Empire in Cibola - not far from your homelands - saw itself destroyed in 1602 AN by those demons and evil manifestations of what the Shirerithians have called deamons from Balgurd." he hadn't been alive yet when that had happened, but his grandparents had told about the horrors they had withstood to survive. "We survived the onslaught, just like your noble people. Less pure peoples have fallen victim to it. Even the Babkhans who once roamed the Euran lands have desperately lost their realm to them."

Zhang San knew that scholars still disagreed about the destruction of Babkha in 1599 AN, but he himself was convinced that the ancient civilisation had destroyed itself with nuclear weapons in a last desperate attempt to crush the baishens which had overrun the Euran continent in its last days. They may have not been walking the Pure Path, at least they had been thorough in defeating their enemies, even if it meant destroying itself.

"May I be so rude to propose following treaty to your nation, to confirm our nation's goodwill towards each other? We, the peoples who walk the same path towards glory against Evil, must support each other the best we can." the Diwang made a deep bow towards the Prince.

A clerk walked into the room with a paper in his hand. Zhang San looked it over and nodded.

"Here you are, honourable prince."
Zhang San
Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Postby Jonas » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:00 pm

TREATY OF AMITY, MUTUAL SUPPORT AND COMMERCE
between the
Jingdaoese Empire
and the
Holy Ralgon Empire

The Emperor of the Holy Ralgon Empire, Shiro the First of His Name, and His Most Imperial Majesty, the Heavenly Light, the Chidao Emperor, desiring to establish on a firm and lasting foundation, the relations of peace and friendship now happily existing between their two countries, and to secure the best interests of their respective citizens and subjects by encouraging, facilitating, and regulating their industry and trade, have resolved to conclude a TREATY OF AMITY, MUTUAL SUPPORT AND COMMERCE for this purpose, and have, therefore named as their plenipotentiaries, that is to say:

- Crown Prince, His Imperial Highness Draeg'ar Ral;
- Diwang of the Grand Secretariat, His Excellency Zhang San;

Who, after having communicated with each other their respective full powers, and found them to be in good and due form, have agreed upon and concluded the following articles:

ARTICLE I.
There shall henceforward be a perpetual peace and friendship between the Holy Ralgon Empire and the Celestial Empire of the Pure Path, known as the Jingdaoese Empire, jointly known as the High Contracting Parties in this Treaty.

ARTICLE II.
1. The Emperor of the Holy Ralgon Empire may appoint a diplomatic agent to reside at the city of Daocheng, and consuls or consular agents to reside at those ports in Jingdao which are open to Ralgonese commerce by this Treaty.
2. The Heavenly Light may appoint a diplomatic agent to reside at Stormhold City, and consuls or consular agents to reside at those ports in Ralgon which are open to Jingdaoese commerce by this Treaty.
3. No merchants shall be permitted to exercise the duties of the office of diplomatic agent or consul, nor shall diplomatic agents or consular officers be allowed to engage in trade.

ARTICLE III.
1. The following Jingdaoese ports will be opened to Ralgon commerce: Cangshan and Jasoniacheng within the Gangdiguo Special Economic Zone.
2. In the foregoing ports open to Ralgonese commerce, Ralgon citizens may permanently reside; shall have right to lease ground, purchase the buildings thereon, and may erect dwellings and warehouses. No fortification or place of military strength shall be built by Ralgonese under any pretense, and Jingdaoese authorities shall enforce this provision and inspect, from time to time, any buildings which are being erected, altered, or repaired.
3. Duties shall be paid to the government of Jingdao on all goods landed in these ports, and on all articles of production that are exported as cargo, as prescribed by the law of Jingdao.
4. Ralgonese in Jingdao shall be afforded the same protections as Jingdaoese citizens, except the participation of Ralgonese in elections, practices, or other civic duties that should only be reserved to Jingdaoese citizens under Jingdaoese law.
5. Ralgonese in Jingdao shall not be able to leave the designated ports, except with the proper transit permissions and authorizations from Jingdaoese government officials.

ARTICLE IV.
1. The following Ralgonese ports will be opened to Jingdaoese commerce: the city of Glacier City and Drag'nor.
2. In the foregoing ports open to Jingdaoese commerce, Jingdaoese citizens may permanently reside; shall have the right to lease ground, purchase the buildings thereon, and may erect dwellings and warehouses. No fortification or place of military strength shall be built by Jingdaoese under any pretense, and Ralgonese authorities shall enforce this provision and inspect, from time to time, any buildings which are being erected, altered, or repaired.
3. Duties shall be paid to the government of Ralgon on all goods landed in these ports, and on all articles of production that are exported as cargo, as prescribed by the law of Ralgon.
Jingdaoese in Ralgon shall be afforded the same protections as Ralgonese citizens, except the participation of Jingdaoese in elections, practices, or other civic duties that should only be reserved to Ralgonese citizens under Ralgon law.
4. Jingdaoese in Ralgon shall not be able to leave the designated ports, except with the proper transit permissions and authorizations from Ralgon government officials.

ARTICLE V.
1. Companies constituted under the applicable laws and regulations of either High Contracting Party shall have their juridical status recognized within the territories of the other High Contracting Party. It is understood, however, that recognition of juridical status does not of itself confer rights upon companies to engage in the activities for which they are organized. As used in the present Treaty, "companies" means corporations, partnerships, companies, and other associations, whether or not with limited liability and whether or not for profit.
2. Each High Contracting Party shall accord sympathetic consideration to, and shall afford adequate opportunity for consultation on any subject as the other High Contracting Party may determine or set with respect to any matter affecting the operation of the present Treaty.

ARTICLE VI.
1. The present Treaty shall be ratified, and the ratifications thereof shall be exchanged at Punta Santiago and Daocheng as soon as possible.
2. The present Treaty shall enter into force one month after the day of exchange of ratifications. It shall remain in force and shall continue in force as long as the High Contracting Parties wish.
Either High Contracting Party may, by giving written notice to the other High Contracting Party, terminate the present Treaty at any time.

-------------------------------------------------------------
SIGNED FOR THE HOLY RALGON EMPIRE:

SIGNED FOR THE JINGDAOESE EMPIRE:
Zhang San
Diwang of the Grand Secretariat

Representing the government of the Chidao Emperor, True Holder of the Heavenly Mandate, Bringer of Harmony, Descendant of Cato and Germania, Living Reincarnation of Sisera, Heavenly Light of the Holy Grand Jingdaoese Empire, Pater Familias of the Great Jing Dynasty, Caudillo of the Armed Forces of the Empire, Preserver of Aracigrad, Dutch of Kildare, Prince of Aryasht, Lord Protector of the River Warriors.
Zhang San
Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Postby Shiro » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm

SIGNED FOR THE HOLY RALGON EMPIRE:
Draeg'ar Ral XIV
Crown Prince of the Holy Ralgon Empire
Voice of the Holy Ralgon Emperor

Representing the government of the Holy Emperor Shiro, Master of the Divine House of Thr'or, Avatar of Bael'os, Bastion of Harmony, Destroyer of Darkness, Overlord of Dragos, and Conqueror of the Great Swamp of Dragos.

SIGNED FOR THE JINGDAOESE EMPIRE:
Zhang San
Diwang of the Grand Secretariat

Representing the government of the Chidao Emperor, True Holder of the Heavenly Mandate, Bringer of Harmony, Descendant of Cato and Germania, Living Reincarnation of Sisera, Heavenly Light of the Holy Grand Jingdaoese Empire, Pater Familias of the Great Jing Dynasty, Caudillo of the Armed Forces of the Empire, Preserver of Aracigrad, Dutch of Kildare, Prince of Aryasht, Lord Protector of the River Warriors.

Shiro

Return to Gate of Sisera's Wrath