Intentions (OOC)

Different government organizations.

Moderator: (Gralus) King of Toketi

Kaarrin Isselkaan

Intentions (OOC)

Post by Kaarrin Isselkaan »

Toketi has been plagued since creation with a certain "vagueness". While many of it's regions and cities have received general overviews of their geography, peoples, cultures, etc., few have seen much more, unlike the great epics and vast mythoses of other established micronations of similar age and even younger ones. I want my return in this time to be a kind of personal investment in the documentation and development of this world I founded years ago.

Unfortunately, I can speak for very little of Toketi's development as a whole. When I left the throne at the conclusion of the Demon War, my hand in future Toketisk affairs would be indirect at best and completely absent at worst. I've said in the past that Toketi may very well be more Bayen's accomplishment than mine, despite the name association in my favour. I feel like I'm honour-bound to earn credit for that association beyond simply creating a basis, a mindset, and some names in a language I never got around to documenting in a useful way.

I want to give Toketi as thorough a treatment in proper, detailed description as possible, in as many aspects of life as possible, without undermining all the work that has been done up to this point. This might involved avoiding development of some regions temporarily due to potential conflicts with established backstory and culture (mainly regarding places like Anebati, Chelkran Kesh, and probably other regions I'm not entirely aware of) that I'm not really comfortable working with and/or around yet. My initial foci will be:
  • nationwide infrastructure
  • general Toketisk cultural elements
  • the history and diffusion of language (Tokish and Swnndyrrr primarily, but the Tokic language family will be explored)
  • Duchy-level cultural elements
  • The cities of Rielrar, Datret, Toketisk Shelsa, and Kotsovan
  • Detailed development of the Bay of Eminence and Doshtan Yokutar (on the basis of personal familiarity)
I'm really hoping to reignite interest in Toketi, and maybe one day get some of the old guard back, nab a few new regulars, but I'm prepared to make this endeavour mostly solo. I really want Toketi to feel more like a real place than just part of a big blue blob in North Apollonia that has a name but little else. I'll begin by defining as much as I can where I can. I want to take this opportunity to try again, start building where I failed to build the first time.

Kai Jackson

Re: Intentions (OOC)

Post by Kai Jackson »

/me contemplates Novatainia

Kaarrin Isselkaan

In all honesty, I have no intentions toward Novatainia. That's Andreas's realm, not mine. Toketi is my home, Rielrar is my city, and my throne will persist.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

This looks very good, I at least will be interested to see what you come up with (and have considered doing similar stuff for Novatainia at various points, but never quite got around to it).
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Could you further explain the difference between OOC and IC?

Tokaray al-Osman

Post by Tokaray al-Osman »

IC is real life, OOC is entirely fictional.
His Imperial Magnificence Aurangzeb II Steffki, Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, Thane of the Shirelands, Keeper of the Apollo Legacy, Wielder of the Sword of Vengeance, Grand Master of the Orders of the Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix, and Chimera, Sovereign of the Golden Mango Throne.
Dr Tokaray al-Osman KBH, Commissioner of the Chamber of the Crypteia, Emir of Jadid Khaz Modan, Annexer of Yardistan

Andreas the Wise

Very funny :p

IC is In Character, OOC is Out Of Character.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Yes, I know that. My point is that lately I have been finding these
labels being used incorrectly and I wanted to double check to ensure
that I understood the correct meaning. In regards to the recent
happenings in Shireroth and with Jingdao, I have seen people apply
the label OOC to such happenings even though they are clearly IC.

This makes it very confusing and difficult to get involved for fear of
misunderstanding the context. It is almost as if there are levels of
IC to these people, and they are using the OOC label to apply to
them to add faux importance to their actions. I will not name names.
If it becomes more serious than it currently is as a problem them
I might even suggest using levels of being IC if needed, for instance,
IC1 ("in character level 1"), IC2 ("in character level 2"), etc.

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Unless the context of the post is ambiguous, it's usually plain to tell whether it is IC or OOC. But I do feel that it has come to be more commonly used as of late, and that the line between the two is blurred. We seriously lack a moratorium on the matter, as no two micronations follow the same standards. It's not only irritating to me, but it would be a nightmare for any newcomer to try and navigate through.

Kaarrin Isselkaan

It's been a small plague, in my personal opinion, as matters often extend into both realms.

As I'm to understand it, the Gralan standard has been that IC regards the characters themselves, while OOC regards us as the ones "playing the game", so to speak.

Regarding the small incident with Jingdao, I tend to throw matters of MCS map claims into the realm of OOC. The reason being that, for example, Andreas and I discuss the matter as Andreas and Corey, not as Waldgrave and Liam II (or whichever characters would conceivably be having the discussion).
Last edited by Kaarrin Isselkaan on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas the Wise

OOC is comments from the real person typing the post, IC is actions and stuff to do with the fictional characters on Micras (and related universes). It's not complicated.

EDIT: Corey beat me to the post, but yep, what he said.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I don't claim to know anything about Jingdao, but from what I understand, that seems to be OOC in the sense of "Out Of Context" rather than "Out Of Character," as the things going on there aren't real but are still done with the sense of some characterization.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Return to “Government”