USSO Common Market

The Political Consultative Committee, which acts as the headquarters of the USSO is located in Daocheng. Here the representatives of the USSO member states assemble to discuss their next step in accomplishing world domination.
Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

USSO Common Market

Post by Zibertian Kind »

Hey everyone, heads up that I've gone ahead and done some work to reflect my personal thoughts for the common market, which we started talking about over on Discord. I figured that I'd set something up before we got to far into discussions, just so that we have a model/template to look at and modify as we move forward.

A couple of notes off the top of my head, just to get things started.

1. This marketplace is essentially based upon a modified version of the Hammish Economic Model, which is an economic system in which government acts on behalf of the peoples it represents to invest in companies in order to subscribe to the perpetual import of goods and services. Under the Hammish Economic Model, private companies offer subscriptions to goods and services, which governments acquire through investments which represent the interests of their constituents, or the peoples from whom their ability to invest is derived.

2. Although the USSO Common Market, as it has been framed, is based upon the fundamental principles of the Hammish Economic Model, it differs from the HEM to the extent that it does not require the use of the SCUE bank, or SCUE currency. Rather than relying on SCUE, the USSO Common Market maintains its own independent international bank and system of currency. For now, I have created a new generic currency called the "Credit," which is intended to exist strictly within the USSO Common Market, and which for the sake of simplicity is equal in value to the Poli. I have created 5 accounts within the bank, one for each of our nations, and each containing an amount of Credits equal to the average amount of Polis held in the First National Bank of Passio-Corum, plus 10% of the market's total value after initial investments by Passio-Corum. This is all flexible, especially during the planning stages.

3. I've already added a company to the market, and set up an initial investment, just to give an idea of how other companies should be framed and organized. As you can see, Pallisican Standard International is an "umbrella company," which represents four or five smaller companies. The idea is that under the current model, governments would invest in this company by purchasing shares, in order to acquire goods and services from all of the smaller companies at rates listed on the company page. So, Passio-Corum has already invested in Pallisican Standard International, and as a result it has started to import goods from the Shirley Stock Fund, University of Port Brent, Pallisican Wildlife and Conservation Agency, and Trans-Corum Railway. What this means in a practical sense is that as a result of its investments, Passio-Corum has begun to import arms, to expand its educational system, to establish zoos containing certain types of creatures, and to construct railways in new regions of Corum. Other nations, when adding their own companies to the market, should follow this model. Jingdao, for instance, could create an umbrella company containing Sokoku Industries, and a few companies of other types. Gerenia could create an umbrella company containing ADSG and Aeroton, etc...Once such companies have been added to the market we can all start trading!

4. I'm thinking that by using the wiki for our market, we can all add companies at our own discretion, whenever we want. We can each be responsible for updating our own umbrella companies, in other words. For the sake of simplicity (since I have the database), I will take responsibility for updating production and employment reports. When it comes to setting up and modifying investments, we might just set up a thread similar to this one, which I used to update the Pallisican economy while it was still hosted on SCUE. Whenever someone wants to create a new investment, or to adjust an existing one, or even to inquire about possible issues, they could just post in a single thread to which I would refer whenever I perform an update.

That's pretty much all I can think of for the time being. I will add additional notes as I think of them, but for now, I mostly just wanted to post a few ideas to get things started. If anyone has any specific questions or comments, I will do my best to answer anything. Anyway, let me know what you all think.

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Re: USSO Common Market

Post by Thadeus Laing »

So, unless I am mistaken, your 'bank' is just a Wiki page with a list of accounts and values?

In that case, why not just use SCUE, which is a virtual online banking portal with many features?

--Thadeus Laing, Former SCUE Admin

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

Not quite. The bank is an accessible, community oriented institution which holds the financial reserves which enable members to invest in a meaningful and substantial market, the likes of which SCUE doesn't offer. For the record, SCUE currency isn't completely useless in the market. It can readily be exchanged for credits, at an established rate which is defined within SCUE. That said, USSO members who are currently members of SCUE - such as Gerenia, last I checked - could potentially tap into their SCUE currency in order to access additional credits. The members of the USSO would have to agree on such things.

With that in mind, there are already a number of examples which prove that this model works, as most are generally willing to begrudgingly agree. This shouldn't really be a conversation about whether the model works, because it does, and it shouldn't be about the merits or lack thereof of SCUE, which is irrelevant. Let's do our best to use this opportunity to develop a market for the USSO.

Gerenia

Post by Gerenia »

Do the companies really have to be private? All Gerenian companies are state-owned by law. I'm thinking in any case the companies could be somewhere "in the middle" between both cases... but that's not a worry.

Another question: can "real companies" be added to the Bank?

Also, by the way, I've never used the SCUE bank/money/etc., and I don't plan to use it, at least by now. Just letting you know!
Ger*
President of the Republic of Gerenia, 2012-2017 (as Gerald Ruze)

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

No, the companies don't actually have to be private. The difference between public/private is pretty heavily blurred under this model, since it's traditionally government which does most of the investing/establishing of companies. Companies can almost be understood as agencies of the government, if you want to look at it that way, and investing is choosing the budget.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "real companies." Currently I am not aware of any limits of the types of companies which can be hosted on this type of market. Most companies provide simulated goods and services, but some definitely offer "real" goods as well.

And thanks for the clarification. I seemed to recall Gerenia applying for SCUE membership at some point. If not, then I'm pretty sure that none of our nations use SCUE, so it's not something we'll need to worry about.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

:up2:
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Gerenia

Post by Gerenia »

Zibertian Kind wrote:I guess it depends on what you mean by "real companies."
I mean "real" as opposed to simulated--making maps, selling seeds (?), etc.
Zibertian Kind wrote:And thanks for the clarification. I seemed to recall Gerenia applying for SCUE membership at some point.
You recalled correctly--I did submit an application for Gerenia. I just never used the SCUE..

Also, regarding "umbrella companies", I guess each can represent companies of the same province/city/region, right? Or a single umbrella company representing smaller companies dedicated to related activities (for example, several transportation companies)?
Ger*

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

I mean "real" as opposed to simulated--making maps, selling seeds (?), etc.
There is definitely room for both types of companies. The only difference between real and simulated is in terms of pricing. Simulated goods tend to be sold in terms of "X per Share", whereas real goods tend to be sold in terms of "1 per X Shares." Aside from that, there isn't much practical difference according to this model.
You recalled correctly--I did submit an application for Gerenia. I just never used the SCUE..

Also, regarding "umbrella companies", I guess each can represent companies of the same province/city/region, right? Or a single umbrella company representing smaller companies dedicated to related activities (for example, several transportation companies)?
Ah yeah, that makes sense.

It is really your choice as to how you want to organize your umbrella companies. You can do it by region, or by specialty, whichever is more convenient for you. I personally prefer to organize by region, but there isn't necessarily anything wrong with organizing by specialty. It's whatever works for you.

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

I would rather not my personal wishes and plans for a more efficient and
effective web interface to stand in the way of the greater goal of increased
virtual commerce on our fictional planet of Micras.

Therefore, this Pallisican idea meets my tentative support, as long as a) SCUE
can be converted to USSO common currency and vice-versa at a very
fair exchange rate, and b) the control of the system is ultimately under the
Policon and rotating chairperson.

Gerenia

Post by Gerenia »

Zibertian Kind wrote:You can do it by region, or by specialty, whichever is more convenient for you.
Actually I intend to make it in both ways, ha. I don't have any more questions by now, so I guess I'll start creating some of these umbrella companies and adding them to the bank.
Ger*

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

Great! I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and to begin trading.

Gerenia

Post by Gerenia »

How many companies per nation would be fine? I can think of at least 7 for Gerenia, but I don't know about the other nations...
Ger*

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

I have already added seven companies / organisations.
Important characters:

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

Great! I've added all of your companies/products to the database. We are now prepared to begin trading!

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

I've created a page which we can use to post purchases and sales of shares.
http://micras.org/wiki/index.php?title=USSO_Marketplace

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Question: how can you (Passio-Corum, e.g.) gain more credits?
Important characters:

Zibertian Kind
"Passio-no-de-Corum"

Post by Zibertian Kind »

The amount of credits is designed to increase proportional to the total value of investments. The higher the level of investment the more money available. Other than that, you can create a company which generates credits. Pretty much all of the pirate organizations in the Maritime Markets of the Strait of Haifa are examples of this type of company. The Bacchian Vine Fleet, for example, is a company which generates currency for the Haifan market.

Return to “Political Consultative Committee”