Directive 001-003: Retiring the Office of Lord Mayor

The Lange family's former estate, used for archive storage of an Ergonian nature.

Moderators: (Craitland) Difficult persons, (Craitland) King of Craitland

Wil
Executed in accordance with imperial law

Post by Wil »

The Office of Lord Mayor is hereby retired and replaced with the new office of Esubarcn.

Lord Mayor may remain as a titular office for ceremonial and legal purposes; however all ceremonial and governmental power shall be vested in the Esubarcn.

The first Esubarcn shall be Wil Laing. Elections shall be held for Prefect once very 4 years [3 months]. All candidates must run as independent.

New Vaduz may also be known as the Esubarcnate of New Vaduz.

Title of respect shall be "<insert preferred gender pronoun here> Esubarcness".

Craitman

Re: Directive 001-003: Retiring the Office of Lord Mayor

Post by Craitman »

1. You don't have the power to retire the lord mayor position
2. "Esubarcn" is a nonsense word
3. New Vaduz is a principality due to the leadership of its prince/princess, not the unrelated position of lord mayor of its eponymous capital, so any change to that position would have no bearing on the territory's long form name

Filing this in Langeways' mental health records office instead...
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Wil
Executed in accordance with imperial law

Post by Wil »

Your Highness,

First and foremost let me humbly apologize that Directive 001-003 may have been unsettling. We do try to avoid unsettling you; however, in this instance it appears we may have missed the mark a bit.

In regards to your first point, we would like verification that #1 indeed is not something we have had the power to change. If we cannot change it, then we of course will rescind this entire Directive.

In regards to your second point, esubarcn is not a nonsense word. I think that you may appreciate it more once fully explained. It is a conglomeration of Greek and Latin prefixes and roots indicating precisely the exact governmental order of the position. E is the shortened form of "eu", the Greek prefix, "sub" is the Latin prefix for under, and "arcn" is short for archon, a title of leadership in the Greek city states, a title which has not been without use among some Laing family associates as you probably know. We think "Ess-ah-barc-in" has a nice ring to it. However if it still unpleasing to you, now that it has been explained, let us know and we can make further changes as needed. That is, if we decide not to rescind this Directive.

In regards to your third point, I understand and have understood the Prince/Princess of NV is a separate office or role. Perhaps the title Esubarcness because of the "ess" was too much of an encroachment upon the Prince/Princess royal form of address and could be changed. We will do so since you brought it up, Your Highness.

Perhaps it might be more beneficial to think of the Esubarcn as subordinate to the office of L.M., a sort of Deputy role or Chief of Staff who happens to be elected.

Signed,

Wil

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

There is a difference between unsettling, as you put it, and just pure going above your station. You'd do well to remember the difference if you wish to remain involved in New Vaduz, if I'm brutally honest.

Just as clarification:
Any changes to governmental offices and structure must be passed as legislature, therefore being approved by parliament and the head of state. This had neither's approval - and also wouldn't receive it - prior to being announced.

The mish-mash of the word's etymology doesn't really do much to counteract my point. "Archon" has no historical value within either New Vaduz or Craitland as a whole, so is relatively nonsensical to use as part of a title, and in having no existing "archons", creating a role effectively titled "subarchon" makes even less sense. I'm certain the Laings' ears like the sound of the word, however, so maybe it should be reserved for the next born child of the family's first name instead.

The title of "esubarcness" had no bearing on my third point, other than the way you intended to modify New Vaduz's official long form name. The role you were attempting to change is that of the lord mayor of the town of New Vaduz. This position has zero administrative power over the entirety of the New Vaduz territory, and so proposing that the territory's long form name be modified because of a change to the lord mayor position is entirely illogical.

I see this directive has been rescinded via another, which was unnecessary as this one was never eligible to be considered an official document - so that will be relocated to Langeways' records office to be included in the correct file for relevant future reference - but I appreciate your trying to make amends for this debacle regardless...
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Return to “Langeways, Here We Come”