The Land of the Sea

Moderators: House Meir, (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor

Aldin

The Land of the Sea

Post by Aldin »

Aldin believed he would find the woman of his vision in Thalassa, named after the sea that surrounded it. He visited the port city of Thaleia, a critical link to the inter-demesnal trade between Neridia and Thalassa. The city literally and figuratively rolled out the red carpet for the Pentheros' surprise visit.

There was a moderately sized Bovic community in Thaleia, and so Aldin gave a sermon at the church. He implored those in attendance to look beyond themselves, and challenge themselves to be better, and bolder.

"I would not ask you to do things the Church doesn't do, for even now the Church is looking beyond our traditional reach for new ways to help people. We are limited, and that is good. Limits are just goals. Remember that each of you have the ability to go beyond your limits. Now, for those willing to take the sacrament, I will be distributing a most special blessing for this city. Local guides tell me that your bay is shallow and warm enough to provide the only habitat on Tapfer for migratory manatees. They come down from Neridia to Thaleia for your warm and shallow coves. Manatees, the sea cow, choosing this city as its only Tapferite home. Truly Bous looks upon this city with pride. Please line up and accept the blessings. You need not be Bovic to partake, all are welcome to worship Bous this way."

Dozens lined up to receive the Bovic communion, a chilled pat of butter placed on the recipient's tongue, allowed to melt in the mouth, and then swallowed completely.
In the midst of the sacrament, Aldin was placing the pat on a woman's tongue, and he recognized her, "The Siren!" he exclaimed, and the woman was surprised, nearly swallowing her butter before it melted, "My calf, I must speak to you, please wait for me after the service has ended."

After the service ended, Aldin and the woman, Melusine, were alone in the sanctuary seated together on a pew.

"Tell me about yourself, Melusine."

"There's not much to tell, Your Holiness. I grew up here and have lived my whole live here. My father and brothers are fishermen, and my mother and I sell their catch at market."

"Please just Aldin. You enjoy the sea?"

"Of course! The sea is my life. Sailing up and down the coast with my family, vacationing in Triegon, exploring the many coves of the northern coast. The sea is majestic, powerful, independent. By her mere existence men are humbled, she does not need to ask or beg or implore. She takes. And of course she gives riches too."

Aldin nodded enthusiastically, then Bous intruded into his thoughts This is the woman. She is the one. She will be given my gift, and she will go through the waters of the world, spreading word of her glories, which come from me. She will be feared, hated, scorned, but also adored, loved, worshiped.

Aldin touched Melusine's arm, "Bous will give you a gift. If you accept it, it will be a great burden. But you will have immeasurable success and riches."

"How can I accept such a gift? No, thank you."

"You have ingested holy butter, you are in the presence of Bous in his church, and you are with me, a descendant of the Once-Living God. Clear your mind and invite Bous in to ask him. He will speak to you."

Melusine closed her eyes, then she gasped, "OH! Oh of course." "No... no I won't. I can't leave them." "I understand, but I can't." "I supposed you're right." "If that's the case." "Very well."

She looked at Aldin, "He was rather blunt, but I will accept his gift."

"Excellent," Aldin grabbed a silver pail of melted holy butter and raised it over Melusine's head, "O Bous! Bestow your gift upon this Daughter of the Sea!" and Aldin poured the butter down on Melusine's head, letting it drip down her.
When the butter covered her legs entirely, they were transfigured instantly into a long, elegant tail. Melusine began to scream as she collapsed onto the floor.

Aldin knelt down to comfort her, "Melusine! This is the gift! You are the Sea Cow, the Mermaid, the Siren! You are how the Church can go beyond its limits... the limit of the forbidding sea!"

The screams attracted the attention of people outside the church who came inside to see Aldin and a half-woman.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" the crowd quickly advanced on the Pentheros until Melusine regained her composure and strength, and stood up on her tail.

"Friends, this is a gift from Bous. Look at how he has blessed me," she stood up even taller now, stretching her long tail to its fullest extent, she almost stood as tall as two men. Her tail secreted a golden, buttery, substance that made her scales shine like jewels. She was awe-inspiring.

The crowd backed away, in utter terror. Some of them began to shout, "Witch!" "Evil!" "Be gone!" "Demon!" and the few bold ones advanced on her.

"Stay away friends, do not harm me or the Pentheros."

A man leaped toward her, and she flicked him away with an idle flip of her tail, "Leave me be! I have done you no harm!"

More people entered the church now, some with weapons.

Aldin stood up, "Let us leave! Do us no harm! Harm her and Bous will cause the holy butter in your bellies to boil and saute your insides! Harm her and you will die and not inherit your worlds in the afterlife! Clear a path and let her leave!"

The crowd, now very troubled at the idea of their stomachs boiling, let the Pentheros and Melusine leave the church, shouting obscenities at them as they went by. Melusine had transfigured her tail back into legs as they left the church.

Aldin looked back at the crowd, "You have upset Bous, you have made the Butter Cow weep, and pray that you have not invoked the wrath of Butter Bull! I rescind my blessings upon this town until you regret what you did this day! This woman, blessed by your own god, and you reject her. You shall not be in communion with Doza until your penance is paid 4 times back!" Aldin and Melusine got into Aldin's car and were driven down to the port.

"Where can I go now Aldin?"

"You will go where you are needed, where you will be valued. Beyond the limits of the Church there is a land that needs you, needs something special to believe in. You will go down to the port and enter the ocean. Swim and commune with the manatees. Let them take you to Neridia. Then to St Andre. Then to Xechaspolis. And onwards to the Skerries. Then go north. Before the waters turn too cold, you will find Keltia's great river estuary. And that will be your home."
His Eminence, Aldin Ayreon-Kalirion
Metrobosarch of the Eparchy of Smjorkyr,
Marquess of Sentratera

Return to “House Meir”