Informal discussion: future direction

Moderator: (Elwynn) Prince of Elwynn

Noor bint Daniyal

Informal discussion: future direction

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

Your Majesty

While we are awaiting the outcome of the election for a løgmaður, I would still like to informally bring up some points here.

At first, we need to delineate the powers here. The constitution only provides that your Majesty makes law with the advice of his Councillors of Eliria. Are we all Councillors of Eliria? If so, we could for argument's sake just have the legislative functions of the Council of Eliria interchangeable with the Sænate. That would make everything very smooth for us.

On the second point, we should adopt some rules of order. I would recommend them basing them off the old Union Senate. They were very functionable -- despite the political mess in the Old Union, the Senate rules were the most efficient thing there. It has, in my experience, been the most efficient set of legislative rules in any place of this planet. I would highly recommend we adopt these rules, with the obvious proviso that we adapt them to the current situation the Sænate finds itself in.

Your Majesty

I would also like for us to cemend the recent structural changes in our Union in a greater overhaul of the Constitution, while combining these with necessary reform of the same document. The Nathanielian constitution was written for an Elwynn with vastly different circumstances. It was written for an Elwynn where inactivity was a horrible disease upon the public body, as the government did its best to clean up the mess from the communist time. We have put that period in time behind us, and therefore, I believe that this chamber needs to resolve itself to make a draft to your Majesty for a new constitutional document, and then advise your Majesty to adopt the same document.

Such an effort will take some time, I am sure, but I believe it is for the best that we commit ourselves to it. A collective effort for this house. My hope is that we can adopt this document with unanimity, or at the very least near unanimity, here, so that it is a document that is strong and robust and without any doubt to its moral legitimacy.

Your Majesty

The amnesty you offered those previously unable to kiss your hand or hail Lady Arsalani-Kalirion or your father's foremather is an act of supreme kindness that brings much respect to you. This way these individuals may, when their time has come, kiss your Majesty's hands, and be admitted to this body. It is my hope that you extend the same kindness to the Count of Illumination and Cimmeria, that he be given the chance to do the same once more, so that he, too, may take part in the deliberations of this assembly.

Your Majesty
Fellow Sænators

It is a great day in Elwynn that we've reestablished a legislature, as your Majesty spoke of in his gracious opening of Parliament. Now, let us work together to bring the legislative greatness of our country to a higher level.

In the words of your Majesty's brother, Prince Audon Joel: Let's make Elwynn great again!
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Re: Informal discussion: future direction

Post by Continuator »

After the first "your Majesty" could you remove the subsequent 'your majesties' and just put a number in to indicate when you're addressing a new point?

For some reason, the repetition effect makes me call to mind the image of someone kowtowing... :geek:

Noor bint Daniyal

Too much majesty for you, my Lord?
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

Too much of too much, I fear. Also:
I would also like for us to cemend the recent structural changes in our Union in a greater overhaul of the Constitution, while combining these with necessary reform of the same document.
I assume this is cement you are referring to?

Noor bint Daniyal

Yes.
Noor as-Salaam

Return to “Senate”