Automatica

Moderator: [Jingdao] Guanchang

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Re: Automatica

Post by Jacobus Loki »

It's Senechal of Audentior!
In Ancient Days (approx. 207 before ASC) one of the first contacts the United Imperium made was with Audentior, and at that time All Mortals Trembled before the Parliament of Audentior.

We together we established a neutral settlement over Cocoanut Grove, the former capital of Choconya. :pale:

His Niftyness has knowledge of the history.
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Regarding here, Greater, and Lesser Automatica:

In about 150 ASC, during the distant ages when the ancestors of the Babkhans still thought nomadic pastorialism was a pretty cool idea, back when Cyberia was a real country instead of a bogeyman used to scare children - my school friend John Sager created the country of Automatic For The People, later retconned to "Automatica" after everyone grew up a bit and realized naming countries after REM albums was stupid. This was well before the MCS Map existed, so Automatica did not have a location - but it was closely related to Audentior, the United Demesos, Blackrock, etc.

I can't remember exactly how the Amokolian islands became named Automatica, but I think it involved Ryan briefly trying to resurrect the country and claiming them (I could be wrong there).

At some point, when we were trying to retcon ancient history, we realized that since Automatica was very very closely involved with Audentior, United Demesos, Blackrock, etc, it should probably be near these places on the map. So we stuck it in its current location. That's why there are two Automaticas. By my own personal interpretation of ancient history, Automatica-in-Kildare is the original site of the ancient culture, but because the ancient culture existed before the MCS Map, I have no official support for that (I was going to mention that ancient Automatica's capital, New Irvine, was in Kildari Automatica, but it looks like some border shakeup moved it into Sermolot).

Anyway, due to...personal history...with Automatica, I would totally support adding a loophole to the Kaiser's recent decree allowing Automaticans to be massacred and enslaved, but that would probably be an insult to my honored predecessor's memory (peace be unto him).

I notice that Khorze/Holly/whatever is still marked on the official map as "Lunaris", and I would support something similar here. You may have your forum called whatever you want, and your title as whatever you want, but it stays "Automatica" on the MCS Map until you've been here a year or so (it's not worth sending an immediate name-change petition to the MCS over just this anyway). If you stick around a year, then we'll talk.

(Note that this is not prejudice against you personally - I still refer to Istanbul as "Constantinople" in everyday speech - see eg my blog entry from the city.)

Audentior has de facto Holy Land status, and you can ask any Israeli or Palestinian exactly what happens when you let a foreign nation colonize a Holy Land.

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

I still refer to Istanbul as "Constantinople" in everyday speech
Hear, bloody, hear! Damned Turks.

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

While this is a bit late, I saw this topic and knew my name would be mentioned somewhere.
Scott Alexander wrote:I can't remember exactly how the Amokolian islands became named Automatica, but I think it involved Ryan briefly trying to resurrect the country and claiming them (I could be wrong there).
Yes, you are somewhat wrong. I had resurrected Automatica as the Grand Duchy of Automatica after JDS granted me permission to resurrect and I managed to gain admin over the old AFTP ezboards and thereby access all their materials. This was sometime after the Lac Glacei incident, wherein a lot of my ideas for LG became instituted in Automatica. At any rate, it was a Germano-Russian style monarchy (Avtomatishka in Russian BTW), shifting strongly away from its left-leaning roots. I did such a detailed website that Automatica was featured in a newspaper article on micronations, citing the capitol of St. Angelsk. It was always a one-man project, but I kept up improving the website for a couple of years.
Scott Alexander wrote:At some point, when we were trying to retcon ancient history, we realized that since Automatica was very very closely involved with Audentior, United Demesos, Blackrock, etc, it should probably be near these places on the map. So we stuck it in its current location. That's why there are two Automaticas. By my own personal interpretation of ancient history, Automatica-in-Kildare is the original site of the ancient culture, but because the ancient culture existed before the MCS Map, I have no official support for that (I was going to mention that ancient Automatica's capital, New Irvine, was in Kildari Automatica, but it looks like some border shakeup moved it into Sermolot).
This was when Bill was retconning history and trying to shove all the old Apollo Sector onto Shirerithian Apollonia. Automatica was, at the time, located where the Amokolians claim. Bill asked me if he could move it into Kildare, which I agreed to since I had stopped working on the Grand Duchy any further. Jess decided he'd claim the name when we [Shireroth] evacuated the old territory. Jess being Jess, he never relented. Hence the present situation of two Automaticas.

Mordechai B.E.

Post by Mordechai B.E. »

Scott Alexander wrote:(Note that this is not prejudice against you personally - I still refer to Istanbul as "Constantinople" in everyday speech - see eg my blog entry from the city.)
I see that on another blog post you refer to me as a "Belgian", that's libel...

:wink:

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Mordechai B.E. wrote:
Scott Alexander wrote:(Note that this is not prejudice against you personally - I still refer to Istanbul as "Constantinople" in everyday speech - see eg my blog entry from the city.)
I see that on another blog post you refer to me as a "Belgian", that's libel...

:wink:
You should feel honoured. :8
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Scott Alexander wrote:Audentior has de facto Holy Land status, and you can ask any Israeli or Palestinian exactly what happens when you let a foreign nation colonize a Holy Land.
Says you. A1 controls part of the heartland of old Audentior, and is using it as a military base of all things. A military base! The valley of the origin of life is filled with A1 troops! At least Apollantis had the heart to keep Epoli.

It's at times these that I'm glad Bill ripped Airosamente of out the ground and added to Jasonia as a flying island. Not that we'd ever be able to get away with something like that these days.

Mordechai B.E.

Post by Mordechai B.E. »

Jonas wrote:You should feel honoured. :8
I have never, ever, heard someone use the word "Belgian" as a compliment... =p

Return to “Naród Seaski”