Tribute System

Home to the Secretariats responsible for propaganda, education, rites and censorship.

Moderator: [Jingdao] Guanchang

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Tribute System

Post by Jonas »

We should consider the reinstitution of the tribute system which made our nation's diplomatic affairs more interesting and original. The system has never been abolished, but in practice we no longer practice it, which is a pity.

We could breath new life in it with some new guidelines: re-establishing a ranking system, the demand of some kind of tribute before speaking the Emperor (at least if it concerns diplomatic or trade affairs), recognising nations which haven't paid tribute is still possible, but they will automatic receive a status which is just above Hun-status (trade is disallowed, we recognise their existence in this world but we will not recognise their claims, etc.).

It could bring some problems with it: re-establishing the tribute would mean that we have to ask our allies for some kind of tribute (which we can return in some other way and through other means, of course, as the tribute is merely symbolic gesture). But I'm sure they will understand our views and our wish to return to certain ancient values.

Organisations like the MTO will most likely form a bit of trouble within this system, but I'm sure we can solve this by demanding tribute from the MTO leaders. :twisted:

The Court could stay here, in Epoli, when it concerns political and diplomatic matters, while our gracious Emperor can at all times return to Daocheng (the Ocean Palace).

What does His Imperial Majesty think?
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Sisera

Re: Tribute System

Post by Sisera »

Jonas wrote:(which we can return in some other way and through other means, of course, as the tribute is merely symbolic gesture). But I'm sure they will understand our views and our wish to return to certain ancient values.
If we do it half-assed we might as well skip it.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Sisera wrote:
Jonas wrote:(which we can return in some other way and through other means, of course, as the tribute is merely symbolic gesture). But I'm sure they will understand our views and our wish to return to certain ancient values.
If we do it half-assed we might as well skip it.
Your Highness, I'm not talking about giving them the gifts back, but about how paying tribute to us is a gift in its own (thanks to the trade and joy it will eventually bring their people).

The matter concerning the MTO: I would advice ending our membership, as it's not beneficial and would contradict our world view, in which Jingdao is the centre of things, ruled by the Son or Daughter of Heaven.
Important characters:

Sisera

Post by Sisera »

I'm not in favour of giving anything to these barbarians.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Sisera wrote:I'm not in favour of giving anything to these barbarians.
With my utmost respect, Your Divine Highness, but I believe our allies of the Blackrock Pact at least deserve a status which is a bit higher than barbarians. :kowtow:
Important characters:

Sisera

Post by Sisera »

You contradict yourself. First you state that we should receive tribute, you then speak about tribute as "gifts" and suggest that we can return the favour. As if we would pay tribute to another country. Before you continue I must warn you to tread very carefully. You've already stuck your head in the noose.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Sisera wrote:You contradict yourself. First you state that we should receive tribute, you then speak about tribute as "gifts" and suggest that we can return the favour. As if we would pay tribute to another country. Before you continue I must warn you to tread very carefully. You've already stuck your head in the noose.
Your Divine Majesty, Jingdao does not - and should not - pay tribute to other nations! That would go against our world view! But in the end, sending us tribute will without doubt bring their nations a certain prosperity, which is a gift from us to them.

Does a wise king not grant his bound servants the leftovers of his harmonious table? Does a nobleman not allow a peasant to work on his fields, of which the peasant receives his share? The king and nobleman got their tribute in the form of labour, but in return the low-lifes receive a small gift.

:kowtow: :kowtow:
Important characters:

Sisera

Post by Sisera »

Chancellor, if that is the case, why is there a problem?

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Sisera wrote:Chancellor, if that is the case, why is there a problem?
The problem is that not all nations have yet subjected themselves to the Heavenly Light, O Divine Highness! :kowtow: :kowtow: :kowtow:
Important characters:

Sisera

Post by Sisera »

Quite right chancellor. Who is responsible for our policy?

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Sisera wrote:Quite right chancellor. Who is responsible for our policy?
*Swallows.*

I believe Servant #3333 has done a marvellous job at failing in his job, Your Divine Highness.
Important characters:

Theodosius Myksos

Post by Theodosius Myksos »

Your Divine Majesty perhaps you should not bother yourselves with these impure matters.
It would be best to return to your underwater palace and leave these matters to be discussed by us mortal servants

:daoflag: :daoflag: :daoflag: :daoflag: :daoflag: :daoflag:

ya dumb broad
high king of Voltrue

Barons Vigeland

Return to “Sheng Garden 10, Daocheng [Ministry of Truth]”