Flags

Moderator: [Jingdao] Guanchang

ConglacioII

Flags

Post by ConglacioII »

The banner of Aquata (the coastal part of Erior)
The motto reads:

Code: Select all

Ku-pri|tu-tus|tri-bra-kum
tan-gi|kor-am|ken-tut-is
The motto on the Aquatan flag is written in the poetic style, with alliteration and the 2,2,3 syllible structure.

Tranlisteration:
Well people built 'thinking statue' 'hundred of the sea'
Thinking statue is a poetic word for 'gods' and 'hundred of the sea' is the Aquatan's name for themselves, and refers to the first 100 Aquatans to arrive from the sea.

Translation:
The Gods made us well for our country

The symbol is a seahorse. (the prominent phallus is typical of the Piceni, who I based the Aquatans off)

The banner of Eriorbaile (the capital)
The motto (no plague, no siege) refers to the city's ability to survive in bad times.
The mermaid is what Erior was named after. (I have never been able to find out why the place was named after mermaids, so I choose to claim that there are small creatures living in pools in Erior that look a little like mermaids.)

The flag of Erior
Like the Erior flag from the UAS days, it has the Blackrock saltire (the land was first settled from Blackrock, before Treesia took over the effort) and the dark blue background. The shield that the saltire is on is from the capital's banner. The snake symbol is from the flag of Schlangen.

Vilhelm Benkern

Re: Flags

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Awesome! The banner shapes remind me of Rohan, and makes me wonder if the ancient Greeks knew about seahorses. Their god Poseidon was god of the sea and storms as well as horses. So seahorses seem like a nice animal to round all that up.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

ConglacioII

Re: Flags

Post by ConglacioII »

The Greeks did have hippocamps (seahorses) in their mythology, and I note that pictures of them have long curling tails, like real sea horses, instead of short, fish like ones that one would expect if they had just made them up. Indeed, there are species of seahorse native to the Mediterranean.

Return to “Vervollkomnung”