Scenes from Port Illumination

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser, (Shireroth) Queen in the North

Aasmund Vigeland
Gnawing Cannibal

Scenes from Port Illumination

Post by Aasmund Vigeland »

Demonstrations on Duke Street. Libertarians and feudalists in an unholy alliance (which can only be explained by the mass psychosis degressing even further) oppose the UDF Humanization, Harmonization and Habitation Programme. The 3H Programme is designed to make people learn of their human value, ascertain that their basic needs are met, that they will be educated so they can be a progressive part of society. Sadly, the feudalist ideology, now blended with libertarianism, has caused the people so brainwashed. It is very sad.

Detained instigators awaiting transportation to a hospital for diagnosis. If their mental malady is considered degressive or chronic, they may be offered euthanasia as remedy. Vigeland is proud that many of the patients, prompted with diagnosis and progonisis, have have opted for euthanasia. It shows that there is a sense of honourability deep down in these people, they know they are too sick for society. They know it and choose to do the right thing. Vigeland is touched. He's done a good thing here in the city. He spreads the values of humanity and even the sickest can feel it.

Duke's Street two weeks after the last pacification of the the riots in the city. The continued riots were a big problem for Aasmund Vigeland. His orders were to quash them, but they just kept coming. How could the city-bailiwick be restored to Elwynn Proper and normal constitutional rule if the people behaved like rabid dogs?

Vigeland tries not to take it too personally. The people are sick. They can't help it. But it is still very difficult for him. He empathises with them. How many will have to be put down? The evils of feudalism and libertarianism are so strong here in this region of Elwynn. He cries for the people. He hates feudalism and libertarianism even more. He hates it with this whole soul. It corrupts people so much. It must be erradicated. It's an epidemic. It must be contained.
Elwynn prevails!

Aasmund Vigeland | Аоосмунд Вигыланд
Supreme Commander of the Elwynnese Union Defence Forces
Minister of Military Affairs of the Republic of Shireroth

Kaiser Mo'll I

Re: Scenes from Port Illumination

Post by Kaiser Mo'll I »

It is not enough to obey the UDF - one must love them.

Tokaray al-Osman

Post by Tokaray al-Osman »

Menig Vigeland had returned from Duke's Street to the Barracks of the Gentlemen-at-Cudgels (Port Illumination Detachment) and was sat in the mess hall of the UDF Depot when Vice Korpral Temur Drexler, his pale face lit by a dark humour framed in sardonic features and fierce bloodshot eyes, came across and stood opposite the trestle-table where Vigeland was sat, of which there were a further sixty in the hall, the majority of which were empty with it being the time between regulation meals.

Aasmund, disinterestedly looked up at the Vice-Korpral and nodded a greeting but was too tired from a wasted morning shift chasing delinquents to initiate meaningful conversation.

"Busy one, huh?" Offered Drexler by way of acknowledgement as he sat down on the opposite bench and picked a cigar out of the inside pocket of his leather jacket.

"You could say." Answered Aasmund as he glanced across at a sign at the far end of the hall which simply read "The Coordinated State Thanks You for Not Smoking." Drexler didn't bother following Aasmund's gaze and instead bit the end of his cigar before placing it in his mouth and applying the flame of a newly struck match to the other end. Silence ensured as Drexler sucked in on the smoky warmth of the tobacco fumes before letting out a contented puff of blue-grey smoke in the form of a little "o" which travelled some little distance along the trestle table before dissipating.

Aasmund looked across disapprovingly at Drexler for a moment before putting down his knife and fork on the tin plate where the remains of bacon, chicken, peas and mushrooms swam inconsolably in an ocean of lukewarm gravy. Instead he picked up the plain white mug beside the plate and took a sip of coffee. As he did so Drexler looked across at him, met his gaze and smiled. It was a smile that excite acute distress in the young and vulnerable.

"Two Writs of Cudgelling and a Preventative Detention Order, your fourth this month. Quite the conscientious little worker-bee aren't we?"

"They keep coming back to Duke's Street." Answered Aasmund, his voice level. "I can't help it if I happen to be there at the same time. It is my beat after all."

"Your 'beat', yes." Drexler nodded sympathetically. "A beat that another little bee in the personnel department, lithe with ample bosoms you could bury your face in quite happily, tells me you specifically requested. Why is that?"

Aasmund tensed as he glared at the still smiling Drexler. "Are we discussing my career Aqa Korpral?"

"Your career?" responded Drexler apologetically. "I had no idea you felt that way. Very seldom that I hear a conscript talk of his tour with the cudgels as a career. Most are content to serve out their time and return to their guild, their family and their fellow citizens. Of course, not that you have a family, not any more and even the Dunporters turn their noses up at Stateless Persons. Is that what the UDF is for you Aasmund, a surrogate now that no-one else will have you? I shouldn't waste your time. You could spend the rest of your life as a cudgel-carrier and still be no-closer to citizenship than you were when you woke up surrounded by corpses on that train. They might pin a medal on you for your exaggerated arrest rate or for saving that girl but it makes no difference. Blood will tell - Normark abandoned the Motherland to the Usurper and the ruin he brought and don't think that anyone you will ever serve with has forgotten that. Blood will tell." The false smile was gone and in its place was a look of pure hatred. Having said his piece, Drexler lent forward and stubbed out the remains of his cigar in Aasmund's meal before standing up and walking away.

Aasmund disdainfully pushed the plate away from himself and watched Drexler walk out of the mess-hall. He glanced around the nearly empty room, willing himself to stare-down anyone who had been enjoying the ,. No-one was looking back at him though, the cudgellers, the UDF professionals, the conscripts, all were sat in their own groups still enjoying (if that was the word) their food or else knocking back coffee or beer and watching the viewscreen installed at the far end of the hall, which was showing the latest ice-hockey game from Mar Sara with scrolling headlines at the bottom of the screen detailing the latest casualties from Cimmeria; islands liberated, ships lost, towns levelled to the ground, the dull war continued in the background - pushed to the bottom of the page and forgotten.

Then he noticed her. She was sat at a table on her own, straw-blonde hair tied up in a bun, and wearing the fatigues of a clinician of the Union Medical Corps, and she was watching him. Watching him intently. Now that she saw him looking at her, she smiled and nodded subtly in his direction. Based on his day so far, Aasmund doubted that the smile was entirely friendly. His thoughts of staring her down vanished as he blinked and instead glanced down at his mug of coffee which he picked up and drank deeply from. As he put the mug back down he noticed with a start that she had gotten up and was walking across to his table, a manilla file tucked under her arm. He was about to get up and make a point of leaving when he noticed her chest, or more precisely the rank slide on the epaulette sported on the front of her tunic. She was an Överste. 'Oh Fucking Lest' . Immediately Aasmund stood up, this time to attention.

"Was that man bothering you?" She enquired, her face entirely devoid of concern, observing him instead as though he were a vaguely disappointing stool sample.

"No Ma'am, Aqa Överste. We were just exchanging words and words tend to lose their sting when compared to pipe bombs."

"Oh," she looked at him curiously "and do you encounter many pipe bombs in order to make that comparison.?"

"I patrol with the squad assigned to Duke's Street, Ma'am." He replied, as though it answered the question - which it did.

"Yes, well in that case I think you are the individual whom I have been looking for." She said with slightly odd emphasis. She placed the file down on the table and offered her hand to him to shake. After a moments hesitation, he reached out and grasped her hand, which had a disconcertingly firm grip. As he did so, he could not help but notice that the file had a typed coverplate:

[quote]PANOPTICON DEPARTMENT (MAIN OFFICE)
REVIEW NOTES FOR COURT OF STAR CHAMBER
SUBJECT: MENIG AASMUND VIGELAND [AO1234Z] APPRENTICE CUDGEL-CARRIER[/quote]
His Imperial Magnificence Aurangzeb II Steffki, Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, Thane of the Shirelands, Keeper of the Apollo Legacy, Wielder of the Sword of Vengeance, Grand Master of the Orders of the Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix, and Chimera, Sovereign of the Golden Mango Throne.
Dr Tokaray al-Osman KBH, Commissioner of the Chamber of the Crypteia, Emir of Jadid Khaz Modan, Annexer of Yardistan

Aasmund Vigeland
Gnawing Cannibal

Post by Aasmund Vigeland »

"Ma'am, how can I help you?"

Vigeland looked quickly around. His superior officer was waiting for him in the corner. Apparently Jacian libertarian terrorists had been spotted in Duke's Street... again. Now foreigners? Not only the Lokiist-Feudalist terrorists, but their allies from Kildare? Things are awful.

Though the file's coverplace did make Vigeland curious about its contents and what the Madam Överste wanted to say. But Elwynn needed to prevail and unless it was far more important for Elwynn that he spoke a bit more with the Överste, Jacian terrorists needed to be apprehended so that human dignity and rights could be protected... with his own blood if necessary.
Elwynn prevails!

Aasmund Vigeland | Аоосмунд Вигыланд
Supreme Commander of the Elwynnese Union Defence Forces
Minister of Military Affairs of the Republic of Shireroth

Return to “Illumination”