Decision regarding The OmniTree Group

The seat of Elwynnese government and hotbed of Republicanism. Often conquered, never subdued for long.

Moderator: (Elwynn) Prince of Elwynn

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Decision regarding The OmniTree Group

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Declaration of Monopoly Status for The OmniTree Group

NOTICE SUMMARY

This notice is to hereby declare that The OmniTree Group is a monopoly and operating outside of what the Ministry considers to be “the common good” for Elwynn’s economy, state the resulting administrative controls that will be put into place over The OmniTree Group, and specify best outcomes given the monopolistic situation at the said company.

REASONS

The OmniTree Group is the successor to Einhorn-Silvermann-Bochs, a company with a long history in Normark, now a province of Elwynn. The OmniTree Group, while a strong company, is a monopoly because it is the single largest and most active defense manufacturer in Elwynn. The OmniTree Group has been an important contractor with the Elwynnese Government for this time; however, it has also become too powerful and connected that it is now a monopoly as a result--or perhaps vice-versa. Unfortunately, its ownership structure is not open and this has resulted into not only much power being concentrated in a single company, but also too much power being concentrated in the hands of the ownership and management of the company.

The OmniTree Group's very name itself alludes to the fact that the company strives to be the main company in many industries.

However a healthy economy does not mean one company has the right to monopolize that economy.

The OmniTree Group is a profit maximizer, price maker, creates high barriers to entry in the markets that it is in, is a single seller for many of its products, such as defense products and management contracting, and, most importantly, engages in price discrimination.

Also The OmniTree Group has been buying much stock in Commonwealth Global, a potentially competing company, and then sitting on the stock and doing nothing, as well as proclaiming to have no interest in the company, a monopolistic and anti-competitive practice which this decision will resolve.

ACTIONS TAKEN REGARDING The OmniTree Group

For the next 12 Gregorian Calendar months, transactions in Elwynn between The OmniTree Group and any other company or government entity must not be monopolistic; 50% of all government transactions made in a particular industry in a given month must be transacted with companies other than The OmniTree Group and any companies that are primarily owned by the primary owners of The OmniTree Group. The Hall of Allocation and Dispensation reserves the right to invalidate any transaction at any time if it is deemed to be monopolistic. Citizens are encouraged to report monopolistic transactions to the Hall.

The OmniTree Group, if it continues to engage in monopolistic practices or fails to comply with the requirements of the Hall, will, at some later date to be determined by the Hall, be broken into five separate companies, two defense companies, a finance company, a research company, and a miscellaneous services company, with the principal owners of The OmniTree Group retaining ownership of the defense company only, and the defense company being restricted to doing business in that industry alone, and the other defense company being a competing defense company based in Amokolia with entirely different management and owners, to be approved by the Hall.

12,000,000 shares of the stock held by The OmniTree Group in Commonwealth Global Incorporated, a Shirerithian company, are hereby seized and appropriated to the Hall of Allocation and Dispensation.

For the next 12 Gregorian Calendar months, the OmniTree Group is hereby forbidden from owning more than 5% of any publicly traded company other than itself or historical subsidiaries founded by itself.

BEST OUTCOMES

The OmniTree Group will cease to be monopolistic and the Elwynnese economy will improve as a result.
Last edited by Thadeus Laing on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malliki

Re: Decision regarding The OmniTree Group

Post by Malliki »

How about no?
Malliki Tosha
Acting Xonuti of the Free State of Sanilla
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Councillor Melang,

I will interpret this decision as delegated from the Prince. That is after all how the Charter functions. All your powers are delegated by the Prince.

I will hold the Prince responsible for this. After all, you are the Syr Aranon, the voice of the prince, in the government's financial matters. That is why he appointed you here.

Do you even realize how sick and illegal this decision is?
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Since operating a monopoly is not illegal under Elwynnese law, this declaration by the Councillor is pretty strange. And probably unconstitutional.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Tarjei Einhornsson

Post by Tarjei Einhornsson »

I cordially invite you to suck my giant Norwegian dick.

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Mr. Melang is the best expert I could find for economic matters.

How about a little of the "civility" requested earlier,or is that only for the Senate?
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

@Malliki, if you have such concerns about this, please petition the Court of Justice. This is why it exists in the first place.

@Tarjei Einhornsson, your post is in violation of article 22 of the Charter, Please amend it or retract it immediately.
His Imperial Highness Erion of Waffel-Paine,
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Your Highness,

So you support this decision by your Councillor? The seizing of private assets?

Ric.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Erion, first of all I don't have standing as I am not a shareholder in OmniTree Group nor the other company. Second, is he in violation of article 22 according to you or what? Are you going to use a general provision in the constitution to stifle free speech?
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

Malliki, you still have the right to petition the Court if you are concerned that something is unconstitutional!

The relevant Charter provision does not stifle free speech, it moderates it, and it has been used before. If this forum was not masquerading as a micronation, the post in question would probably have been moderated to a greater or lesser extent anyway. :)
His Imperial Highness Erion of Waffel-Paine,
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying the provision is stifling free speech, I'm saying that you are. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, Mr. Einhornsson simply invited Mr. Melang to perform fellatio on his Norwegian organ, a practice I have on good authority that Mr. Melang is quite fond of.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

And even if Mr Einhornsson's words were offensive, is not the nationalization of his company offensive? Wouldn't that fellatio comment be even below a proportionate response so something as horrendous and anti-Elwynnese in spirit?

Ric.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I have fallen down the rabbit hole.............
Jacobus Loki

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

A good way to crawl back up again is to enforce the law. There is simply no provision banning monopolies or authorizing the seizing of private property. Government action without legal support is usually something you find in autocracies, not democracies.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

The review continues. I'll not be stampeded.
Jacobus Loki

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

As a precaution, I've transferred most of my assets out of Elwynn to countries where economic freedom is guaranteed.

I don't want my bank account nationalized for the "good of the many".

Ric.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Speaking of money, you have yet to send me that passwords for the Union accounts.
Jacobus Loki

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

I've forgotten.

Ric.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

These things happen.
Jacobus Loki

Tarjei Einhornsson

Post by Tarjei Einhornsson »

OmniTree has relocated to Sanilla to escape this completely arbitrary action.

Return to “City and County of Eliria”