Aaden at Araxion

The ancient homeland of the Elw and the cultic centre of its religion. Much desecrated during the period of Vanic occupation, but now slowly returning to some semblance of order.

Moderator: (Elwynn) Prince of Elwynn

Allot

Aaden at Araxion

Post by Allot »

Aaden was staring out the window of the train, muttering to himself. “Or looked at… Or saw the big… No, that’s not it. Witnessed the mighty… no. Damn.”

He looked across at Gregor, who was cleaning his nails – with a knife.

“You ever read the Liber Florae?” asked Aaden.

“Huh? What? The hell is that?”

“The Book of the Orchids, by another name.”

“Religion? No, I never quite got around to it.”

“I’m trying to remember the part about Araxion. Something… something about trees,” said Aaden absentmindedly.

“Arriving at Araxion station. Again, arriving at Araxion station,” came the tinny voice from the speakers.

“Listen, I’ve arranged for a guide to meet you at the Tower. This is your first week back-“

“Gregor –“

“Can you turn off… that thing you do?”

“What thing?”

“Can you not be Uncle Chuckles?”

“I’m sure I have no idea what you mean”

“Look, first impressions, right? I want you to come off as dark and powerful, not the uncle from the Wolfstag feast who keeps making jokes!”

Aaden looked slightly stunned. “I’m not going to a press conference, Gregor. I’m touring Mindon Araxion. If this guide doesn’t laugh at my jokes it will go very poorly for him.”

They were met at the gates by a weedy man who looked as if he spent too much time indoors. The large, circular reading glasses were dwarfed by the oversized blue “i” on his lapel. He inclined his head as a sign of respect.

“Your Grace,” he said, “my name is William Gardiner, Head of Tours. It is a pleasure to meet a real Allot.”

“There are many fake Allots?”

“More than you would think,”

“Bill?” said Aaden hopefully, extending a hand.

“William, if you please, Your Grace.”

“Well, Will, the Ducal line ended quite some time ago, if I understood the MicrasWiki article correctly, so I don’t think I’m anyone’s grace”.

“Yes, Your Lordship.”

William motioned that they should follow, and walked briskly up the hill towards the tower, with Aaden and Gregor in tow.

“Gardiner, eh?” said Aaden, easily matching William’s strides.

“My family name, Your Lordship.”

“And yet here you stand, unrepentant and with a distinct lack of gardening
supplies.”

“Uncle Chuckles…” muttered Gregor, as they meandered down the road.

The stones of Araxion had glowed, once, if the Book was to be believed. But centuries of neglect and harsh Elwynn winters had whipped at the tower until it lost most of its sheen. The landscape was still extraordinary, but it seemed less … majestic. Also, one of the outer walls appeared to have been completely blown apart.

"Last time I heard, this tower had four walls," said Aaden, striding over to the gaping hole. There was a small, gold-plated plaque beside the breach.

ARAXION TOWER / MINDON ARAXION HISTORICAL SITE

This hole was created by Malliki Tosha via several tons of dynamite. The original wall has yet to be found.

“Are you a reading man, your Lordship?”

“There wasn’t much else to do up north,” replied Aaden.

“But you’ve read nothing of the history of Elwynn?”

“Although the library was commendably well-stocked, I don’t think they wished me to get… ideas. So no, those books were conspicuously absent.”

“Ah. Well then, I think your great-grandfather viewed the act as a sort of friendly ‘welcome to the neighbourhood’, and never got around to repairing it,” said William.

"The stupidity of history never ceases to amaze me. Let's get that fixed up, shall we? The point of walls is to keep people out, not let drafts in."

“Ah, sarcasm, the gentleman’s weapon,” quipped William.

“You just remember that the 3rd Elwynnbrigaden works for me,” said Aaden sternly.

“Yes, Your Lordship.”

They followed the path to the tower, which loomed even higher as they drew close to it. Aaden drew a hand one of the massive stones and picked out a speck of rock.

“It looks like concrete,” he said, confused. “That doesn’t make any sense.”

“The grayness of the stone is mostly due to neglect and age,” said William.

“There are some who think that the state of the tower is a reflection of the greater country. Peasant superstition, although certainly the stones were white at some point. If you’ll follow me, sir,” he said. Aaden was reluctantly dragged away from his miniature excavation. As they entered the Great Hall,
Aaden spotted a grand, shining throne, sparkling with a thousand tiny diamonds. It was almost blinding.

"What is that monstrosity?” he said, raising a hand to shield his eyes.

“Er… that is a replica of the Crystal Throne, designed by Nyall Anansi, the famous artist. It is only for viewing purposes, of course. Sitting in it would be sacrilege. Uh, Your Lordship?”

“It goes. I don’t care where.”

“Your Lordship?”

“It is anachronistic at best. The Crystal Throne was never in Araxion–“

“No, Your Lordship, it was in Ennabruk. Which sadly is not available to us.”

Aaden smiled. “Quite the scholar, our Billy. Still, it should be moved somewhere else, so as not to provide the slightest illusion that the master of this tower is worthy to sit on Paragon’s throne”.

Gregor’s cell phone buzzed, and there were sounds of rapid whispering.

“If you’ll pardon me my lord,” Gregor interrupted, “There is something I need to deal with,” that was generally code for the necessity of someone needing to be beaten or killed. Gregor continued, “I shouldnt be too long.” He strode briskly from the hall, but Aaden and William were already going up the stairs.

“This way, your Lordship,” came William’s voice from far up ahead. Aaden,
He ascended the stairs, and exited onto a balcony. And stopped.
The sun was setting over the hilly countryside. Far below, the river Elwynn ran smoothly around the tower and away towards the sunset. Oddly, there were no birds chirping, but the silence was the most peace Aaden had experienced in a very long time. It had often been silent in Hyperborea, but that was the silence of containment. This was the silence of freedom. William cleared his throat.

“The Ducal Chamber behind us is the highest chamber, with, may I say, the best view. I’ve spoken to your Chief of Staff and arranged for your affairs to be moved –“

“No,” said Aaden, softly.

“Your Lordship?”

“I’ll take the Steward’s chamber below this one. This room will remain open permanently. Every single person in Elwynn should get the chance to come up here.”

William paused, and then said: “Very well, sir.”

Aaden contemplated the view a while longer.

“William, there’s a passage I’m trying to remember from Floris Primae –“

Or viewed the towering redwood trees, amazed
Or reveled in the sun's restoring heat
Or gazed upon the stars and lunar sliver
At one with all of Nature's ways and haunts
,” he quoted.

“Chapter and verse,” he gazed out at the river Elwynn, far down below them, and the rolling hills beyond. “Was it your job to know that?”

William didn’t answer, but Aaden noticed him suppressing a smile.

So much for Uncle Chuckles, thought Aaden. Neither spoke as Aaden soaked in the landscape.

“What happened to the redwood trees?” he asked, finally. “The ones from the book.”

“Heartwood Industries has recently increased clearcutting in the area, Your Lordship.”

Really,” said Aaden, with menace. “Heartwood Industries... Well, we’ll have to-”

A throwing star came sailing from the shadows, landing in the wall next to Aaden. He unfortunately understood exactly what that meant. She was back.

“Greetings your Lordship,” called an all too familiar voice from the darkness, “I will bleed you like the dirty swine you are, now that your monstrous manservant is no longer here.”

“How did you –“ began Aaden, but then he stopped. It didn’t take him long.
“The hole in the wall,” he and William chorused.
Last edited by Allot on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.S.H. Aaden Allot
Prince of Elwynn
Senator for Araxion | Chancellor of the People's Academy

Gregor Cutting

Re: Aaden at Araxion

Post by Gregor Cutting »

The ninja lawyer came sailing at Aaden, sword overhead and locked, prepared to deliver the decisive and killing blow through his shoulder and torso. It was simple really. All she needed to do was create a diversion to draw his Chief of Staff away from him. The man was known for his temper, and thus was easy to distract. That would be his mistake. His final mistake.

The blade was prematurely stopped. Not by a sword, not by a body and not by a table. The blade cut into the butt of a rifle. It drove deep into the weapon, through the firing chamber and the barrel, finally stopping nearly halfway through the gun. She had sharpened her katana herself, made sure that it could do what it had just done. She then lifted her gaze to the man holding the rifle.

It was a man of average stature. Wearing a coat similar to the Chief of Staff, except without his crest nor his decorations. Instead the man wore the crest of a rearing bovine. The man had short, nearly non existent hair, covering the dark skin on his head. Peering up at her were yellow eyes, burning with loyalty and years of experience in combat. A determined frown was spread upon his black moustached face.

With one expert motion, the man twisted his wreck of a rifle in a corkscrew motion. The blade, still being lodged in the center of it, shrieked with an almost human noise as it was bent and finally snapped in two. Both wrecked weapons fell to the ground with a klang. Both combatants snapped into a fighting stance. Yvgena opened both her palms and locked her elbows at ninety degree angles, placing her right arm in front of her in a spectacle of martial mastery. Her opponent clenched either fist and rose his forearms in front of him in a southpaw boxing stance. They locked eyes.

“I vill need a name,” Yvgena spoke first, “before I kill you.” A courtesy, one that almost got her killed the last time she extended it to a member of this administration. This man however, did not share his chief of staff’s brutal recklessness. He responded in kind.

“My name is Jericho, codename Swan. You intend to harm my lord, and for that you will meet your end. May the Butter Cow rest your tormented soul.”

The nerve. Yvgena struck first, throwing out a palm thrust towards his vulnerable abdomen. This would break his guard and allow for the second part of her combo. Boxers always let their stomachs vulnerable.

Jericho swerved on the ball of his leading right foot, spinning his hip into her palm thrust. Her open palm struck his pelvis, stopping any significant damage. As his momentum carried to his dominant left fist, Jericho struck his opponent in the jaw.

Yvgena felt her jaw snap at a weak point. This man didn’t have the same raw strength as Gregor, but he had precision and expertise to spare. She backflipped away from him, narrowly avoiding the next punch in his dempsey roll. She would have to take this one very seriously.

Both combatants locked their arms into their respective fighting stances once more. Jericho pondered his next strike, and her counter to that. She would be naturally want to end the fight as quickly and decisively as possible, and that would all come down to striking his weak point. He had countered her first blow, knowing that she would aim for his abdomen, but that wouldn't work a second time. His boxing stance was far from impenetrable, and every second that he delayed was another second she could analyze and pinpoint a new weakness to strike at.

He had it! Jericho dashed straight, throwing a hard uppercut straight for her chin. She reacted exactly the way any martial artist of her calibre should. Yvgena dodged backwards, preparing a counter strike for his neck in an attempt to break it. She guarded her side to prepare for any counter kick. She had the entire fight won. All she had to do was break his neck with the next arm thrust.

However just as she dodged his uppercut, he thrust the back of his fist downward into her right shoulder, crippling her dominant arm and stopping her counter strike in its tracks. Yvgena rolled to the side, attempting to create distance between her assailant and herself. Her right arm was now all but useless. She felt multiple fractures in her shoulder, flaring in pain whenever she attempted to do anything with her right arm. Her thought was interrupted by Jericho’s calm and deep voice.

“Many people underestimate boxing as a martial art. They resign it to weakness because of the lack of any actions with the legs whatsoever. In that lack of kicks however lies the true power of boxing. It is a refined and complex art, not that one could know that from watching the ruffians on television.”

Yvgena’s back touched a wall. She had nowhere else to run. She could still complete her mission! Withdrawing her final throwing star in her weak left hand, she hurled it at the defenseless Aaden.

What she hit however, was the man rushing towards her with his torso crouched down in a ducking position, “You have no dignity,” he uttered as his shoulder caught the spinning metal weapon. Jericho set into another dempsey roll. Each punch was followed up by another punch from the opposite fist, each charged with the rolling momentum of the previous punch. The first four struck her abdomen, the next four her face. Jericho readied the final strike, he threw a powerful uppercut from his left fist connecting with her already decimated face. Yvgena soared three feet into the air from the blow before falling to the ground, dead.

Jericho turned around to face the Lord whose life he had just saved.
Gregor Brasky-Cutting of the line Dentarg
Chief of Staff to the Allot Administration.
Elwynnese Ambassador to Shireroth.

The dreams of those who've fallen! The hopes of those who'll follow! Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix! Drilling a path towards tomorrow!

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Allot

Post by Allot »

The ringing in his ears had stopped, and he managed to stand up. "Well," he managed, "now that there is only one of you, I suppose thanks are in order." He staggered, and Jericho - who was bleeding considerably more than Aaden - grabbed his arm.

"Ha," Aaden grunted, "thank you. Again. I don't think I'm quite ready to hop on the Shining Ship just yet."

“It was an honor to defend you my lord, I would gladly do it again,” Jericho said with a bow, “But we must be on our way, it’s possible she brought more people with her.”

Aaden walked over to the Yvgena's corpse and looked at her face. "Oh," he said, with mild surprise. "It's her. I suppose she must have taken Gerald's death badly."

“We don’t really know what her motives were. The woman was exceptional at covering her tracks. All we know is that she has a very keen interest in you.”

“Mm - agh,” Aaden half-yelled, and reached up to his shoulder. “Oh dear,” he said. Jericho stared as Aaden’s fingers came back covered in blood and clutching a throwing star. “That explains a lot,” said Aaden. “Perhaps you should call Gregor, unless you can box my artery shut?”

The story continues...
H.S.H. Aaden Allot
Prince of Elwynn
Senator for Araxion | Chancellor of the People's Academy

Return to “Araxion”