Tent of the Magician

Elders are traditionally assigned a tent, or a place where they can counsel on the various matters of the nation. Here one can find the Teachers, the Wise, the Magicians, the Warriors, and the Traders.
Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Tent of the Magician

Post by Orion »

Outsiders and foreign parties are welcomed by the Reindeer Herder Nation, and we shall let you rest in our tents and longhouses, you may feed your horses at our lakes, and partake in our stores of food if yours run empty.

But be wary - do not deceive us, or try to take our land or herds; for although we are a kind and welcoming people, we will not be cheated.

If you come to Reindeer Mountain with open arms and truth on your tongue, you will be respected by the tribe and welcomed here time and time again. We will be friends to you and your people. This is our guarantee.

Neoptolemus

Re: Tent of the Magician

Post by Neoptolemus »

A young man, wrapped in furs, and carrying a satchel of papers, wandered to the outskirts of Elkheim weakened by hunger and disoriented from the blinding snowdrifts. When he saw the tents and campfires of the Reindeer Herders, he collapsed, praying to Bous that the legendary kindness of the herdsmen would somehow save him.
His Holiness, Neoptolemus
Pentheros of the Dozan Bovic Church

Played by Nathan

Orion

Post by Orion »

A sled pulled by a reindeer emerged from the snow-covered pines along the outskirts of the village. On the sled a young man wrapped in furs holds the reigns. He has a strong bearing and he looks about the landscape as a wolf hunts the taiga. It did not take him long to notice the fallen figure, whose limp form the lightly falling snow was already beginning to obscure. Urging his lead forward, he pulled the sled up besides the prostrate form. The man had strange clothes and his face bore features foreign to the lands of the Herders. But he was still a man, and must be helped, according to the customs of the tribe. So carefully he shifted the form onto the sled, tucking him under a pile of hides for warmth and lashing him firmly so that he might not fall off. Pulling the reindeer around he made a loop back to the village, the small huts with flickering lights and curls of smoke beckoning of warmth and healing.

Neoptolemus

Post by Neoptolemus »

Several days later the man woke up. He could not feel his toes. He pulled back the thick blankets, "Still there." He prayed to Bous to save his frostbiten toes, now wrapped in thin strips. While deep in prayer a voice came to the young man,

"Fool! I did fine without toes. Suck it up! Make peace with these Reindeer folks or I'll take more than your toes!"

At that moment the young man felt frostnip on his pinky finger, he must have had the misfortune of communicating with the Butter Bull instead, "No, no, Bous, I'll do it! Thank you!"

Soon word had spread that the lost man had regained consciousness, and had been asking to speak to a leader among them, Chief Atka, the man he had heard unified the tribes and re-founded the modern nation. He had a letter, written on fine paper in fancy lettering in a delicate hand. A post script was written is decidedly less delicate lettering. The note read:
Most Illustrious Chief Atka,

I am called Ikaros, I am a priest in the Dozan Bovic Church. The Church, through its associated temporal state called Athlon, is now your immediate neighbor. I've been designated as Legate for the Bovic Eparchy of Keltia, headquartered in Elijah's Rest. On behalf of the Eparchy of Keltia, the Bovic Church, the State of Athlon, and all in the name of the Natopian Empire, I am here to negotiate a treaty between our people.

Yours most humbly,
Ikaros

P.S. Your people have not only my own eternal gratitude but also the gratitude of the universal Bovic Church! May you and your people enjoy eternal fortune and luck. We are indebted to you.

Played by Nathan

Orion

Post by Orion »

Chief Atka sat down and opened the letter. While not skilled in the many languages of the world, he was able to slowly grasp the meaning of the words and their significance. Despite the circumstances he was impressed by the tenacity of Ikaros. He had showed strength comparable to a Herder - able to withstand the rigors of the frozen tundra.

After reading and re-reading the letter several times, he motioned to one of his companions. "Bring the Natopian in," he told the man. The aide nodded wordlessly and stepped into the other room, returning shortly with the diplomat at his side. The Chief motioned for the ambassador to take one of the vacant seats before him, which he did, both with gestures rather than words. Atka noted they already had an unspoken colloquy between them, and this was good if there was to be peace between the Herders and Natopians.

"Sir Ikaros," started the Chief, "I have read your letter and wish to seek peace with your people. The Herders wish to share this land with the Natopians so that both our people may prosper. Tell me how we might formalize this in a treaty."

Neoptolemus

Post by Neoptolemus »

Ikaros wrote:Chief Atka, first allow me to express my gratitude to you in words. If it had not been for your people, I would be dead. Natopians are known for gifting juice as a sign of thanks and appreciation. I have been able to send word to my colleagues in Elijah's Rest and they will be sending you a shipment of several cases of Taroof Juice Zero. It's the only fresh juice product we get up here and the Arborians have really enhanced the production process since taking over; it tastes less metallic and oily now. The "zero" means it stays liquid below zero due to all the sugary preservatives in it.

In fact, that is what I wanted to speak to you about. The peninsula that we share is ice-locked on both sides. Our settlement in Elijah's Rest is intentionally secluded and your people thrive in this environment. It is only natural for us to work together. We are connected to a vast trading network via the port of Tirlar and the St Andre Trading Company. The company has an icebreaker that makes regular stops at our port in the summer months when the ice cap is melted, or at least less-frozen. Soon we will get smaller, wintertime shipments of essentials via a cargo submarine that can go under the ice.

We are hoping to establish a pact between our two people that will provide you with goods shipped in from the rest of Micras, like precious metals, gems, timber, oil, wheat, produce, cloth, spice. I know your people are self-sufficient here, but it is all we can offer. In exchange, there is a permanent peace between us, a free exchange of basic necessities should either people fall on dire times, and an open border and cultural exchange. I'm sure many of the pilgrims visiting Elijah's Rest will be interested in learning about your people's way of life and would pay for tours. Many of the younger priests at the Rest have been drafted as unwilling and unskilled hunters to provide extra meat in leaner times, I'm sure they could learn a great deal from your trappers and hunters. We could teach you about us, about Elijah, and why we built this town in the ruins of Koningsheim. We are mostly scholars and theologians, but if there are any among you who would be interested in such ethereal and impractical concerns we are happy to invite you in.

Played by Nathan

Orion

Post by Orion »

Chief Atka made a funny face when Ikaros described the Taroof Juice Zero, but quickly suppressed it with a smile. "We gratefully accept your gift. I am sure the high sugar content will help my people's metabolism remain quite high while facing the frigid Arctic." Atka turned to a bookshelf behind him and pulled out a rolled-up scroll, spreading it out on the desk revealing a map of the northern Keltian coast. "This," said Atka, pointing to Elkheim, "is where we are. The villages of the other tribes use more modern techniques than we do, and they also have several icebreakers which are used to keep the ports open and assist fishermen, especially in the winter months. We would be happy to lend these to your assistance at Elijah's Rest if it will help your village."

Atka sat back in his seat and Ikaros did the same, letting the map furl back up. "I like your idea of a pact and welcome trade with your people. We are traditionalists here, and the concept of boundaries is still somewhat strange to our way of thinking. Our mentality is that land is a common resource belonging to all people. As such I would ask that as part of this pact we dispense with border restrictions and allow our people to move and trade freely with one another." The Chief stroked his chin thoughtfully. "I am also certain that some of the young Herders will be curious about your ways and lands, and it is not my place to forbid them such explorations. I will also appoint one of my trusted men to accompany you back to Elijah's Rest where he will remain as a guest and liaison with Natopia; he will also serve as an assurance of our goodwill. I hope you find these terms acceptable."

Neoptolemus

Post by Neoptolemus »

Ikaros wrote:Chief Atka, I have been contacted by the Natopian Minister of State, he has authorized me to present you with this pact, written with my input, and awaits your comments and suggestions:
The Restful Reindeer Pact

A Mutual Agreement and Understanding
between
The Nation of the Reindeer Herders
and
The Bovic Tapferite Empire of the Natopian Nation

This pact, a manifestation of goodwill between the Reindeer Herders and the residents of Elijah's Rest, is entered into by both nations freely and willingly in the hopes of establishing peace and prosperity on the land they now share.

1. A state of eternal peace and non-aggression will exist between the Reindeer Herders and Elijah's Rest, and by extension all of Natopia.
2. Friendship and cooperation will influence all interaction between the Herders and Elijah's Rest to the extent that:
2.1. The border between Natopia (i.e. Elijah's Rest) and the Nation of the Reindeer Herders will be open and freely accessible; the border will have no physical marking, existing only on a map.
2.2. Goods, workers, and other elements of either nation's economy will pass freely and untaxed between Natopia and the Reindeer Herders.
2.3. Cultural exchange programs and apprenticeships will be made available to residents of both nations to learn necessary and native skills specific to each nation.
3. The port facilities on the peninsula and immediate surroundings owned or operated by either nation will be open to the commercial vessels of the other nation.
4. Both nations will exchange representatives to act as liaison and living assurance of this pact; a Reindeer Herder will live in Elijah's Rest and an Elijahnite will live in Elkheim.
5. Both nations commit to, when feasible, maintaining ice-free waterways and fishing areas as required for food and trade.
6. Both nations commit to preserve the natural environment of the peninsula and surrounding water.
7. Both nations commit to provide emergency supplies to the other in the event of catastrophe.
8. This pact will enter into force on the day that both nations have ratified the pact and informed the other of such ratification.
8.1. Amendments to this pact may be made by mutual agreement of both nations.

Signed for the Reindeer Herders
____

Signed for Natopia
____
Also, if you approve Chief Atko, I, Ikaros, would like to become Elijah's Rest's permanent resident here in Elkheim. I hope to pay off my debt to your people.

Played by Nathan

Orion

Post by Orion »

Atka read over the terms of the treaty and nodded approvingly. "I find these terms acceptable. Further, I welcome your joining us here in Elkheim. You can stay here in the ambassadorial quarters at the Longhouse until you have time to find a permanent residence. Whatever your preference may be, house, apartment, yurt, we will happily oblige you in finding a comfortable home here. Let me add that I hope you are but the first of Natopians who choose to come to our lands, and that your country will likewise soon come to know our people as well."

The Chief signed his signature to the document and handed it back to Ikaros. "I trust you to get this back to your people so they may officiate it. Let this mark the start of a long and fruitful friendship!"

Neoptolemus

Post by Neoptolemus »

Ikaros wrote: I will send this signed copy back to Elijah's Rest where it will make its way to the Frenzy for full ratification. I am honored by your acceptance of me and I would like to fully immerse myself by living in a yurt!
The Restful Reindeer Pact

A Mutual Agreement and Understanding
between
The Nation of the Reindeer Herders
and
The Bovic Tapferite Empire of the Natopian Nation

This pact, a manifestation of goodwill between the Reindeer Herders and the residents of Elijah's Rest, is entered into by both nations freely and willingly in the hopes of establishing peace and prosperity on the land they now share.

1. A state of eternal peace and non-aggression will exist between the Reindeer Herders and Elijah's Rest, and by extension all of Natopia.
2. Friendship and cooperation will influence all interaction between the Herders and Elijah's Rest to the extent that:
2.1. The border between Natopia (i.e. Elijah's Rest) and the Nation of the Reindeer Herders will be open and freely accessible; the border will have no physical marking, existing only on a map.
2.2. Goods, workers, and other elements of either nation's economy will pass freely and untaxed between Natopia and the Reindeer Herders.
2.3. Cultural exchange programs and apprenticeships will be made available to residents of both nations to learn necessary and native skills specific to each nation.
3. The port facilities on the peninsula and immediate surroundings owned or operated by either nation will be open to the commercial vessels of the other nation.
4. Both nations will exchange representatives to act as liaison and living assurance of this pact; a Reindeer Herder will live in Elijah's Rest and an Elijahnite will live in Elkheim.
5. Both nations commit to, when feasible, maintaining ice-free waterways and fishing areas as required for food and trade.
6. Both nations commit to preserve the natural environment of the peninsula and surrounding water.
7. Both nations commit to provide emergency supplies to the other in the event of catastrophe.
8. This pact will enter into force on the day that both nations have ratified the pact and informed the other of such ratification.
8.1. Amendments to this pact may be made by mutual agreement of both nations.

Signed for the Reindeer Herders:
Atka,
Chief of the Reindeer Herders

Signed for Natopia:
Ikaros,
Bovic Legate to the Eparchy of Keltia

Christo Eucalyptos,
Minister of State

Played by Nathan

Return to “The Circle of Tents”