Imperial Elections

Moderator: (Leichenberg) Necrarchs

Max II

Imperial Elections

Post by Max II »

Fellow Princes,

I think it is time to face the fact that the electoral system has not proven a great success. Although my relatives and I do not always agree on issues of policy, the decentralised nature of this union together with our tradition of politics-by-consensus offer little motivation for the regular changing of our head of state.

I would therefore like to propose a couple of potential alternatives:

1) A longer term of office for the emperor, possibly three standard months instead of one;

2) Making the Imperial Throne rotational rather than elective, with members of the House of Rossheim taking turns in accordance with a pre-agreed schedule.

I feel that one or other of these proposals would benefit us more than the present state of affairs, but I would very much like to hear your feelings on this matter.
Max II
Reigining Emperor of Sangun
King of Steeria and Highfield

Sometime King of Leichenberg

Karl von Walstadt

Re: Imperial Elections

Post by Karl von Walstadt »

Perhaps a permanent emperor instead?

Max II

Post by Max II »

That is always a possibility, although it is possible that there may be some low-level resentment among the members of my family who are not selected. One of the few drawbacks of the necrarchical system is that there is little-to-no possibility of "natural progression" from one generation to the next, which is why the territories under the rule of the House of Rossheim have been subdivided and reorganised many times over the years.

If the members of this council feel that choosing a permanent occupant of the Imperial Throne is desirable, I shall of course be happy to listen to their views.
Max II

Saohuang

Post by Saohuang »

*In one of the seats, a figure covered in dust and cobwebs stirs, blinks, and looks around.*

Ahem.

It seems to me that a rotational system would best balance low maintenance with low family tensions.
AKA Shyriath
[spoiler]Image
DY (Dame of the Yoshi, Most Noble Order of the Yoshi, Natopia)[/spoiler]

Max II

Post by Max II »

I shall consult with the eligible members of my family in the coming weeks, to see which solution they would prefer.
Max II

Max II

Post by Max II »

Fellow Princes,

After some reflection, I have come to the opinion that the problems with the electoral system are but the tip of larger issues. This empire is divided to the point where it barely functions as a coherent entity and while I respect each ruler's right to their jealously-guarded sovereignty, I consider a degree of rationalisation to be essential.

For example, is it necessary to maintain separate administrations for Sangun and Treisenberg and the Common Bailiwicks? Although history and geography may suggest a certain logic to this arrangement, the fact that both are governed quite effectively at the local level by the representatives of a common- and absentee- ruler would argue that an intermediate level of bureaucracy is simply not needed. We might also consider whether several of those "common bailiwicks" ought to be held in common. Nordmark properly belongs with Tieya- should the Tieyans have use for it.

There is a definitely much to be considered.
Max II

Return to “Council of Princes”