OOC Discussion regarding elections

Moderator: (Leichenberg) Necrarchs

Max II

OOC Discussion regarding elections

Post by Max II »

How can we make the emperor elections more engaging and less...well...clunky? Only it occurs to me that unless I come up with some differentiation between the various potential candidates, the whole business will lack real meaning.

Has anyone got any bright ideas?
Max II
Reigining Emperor of Sangun
King of Steeria and Highfield

Sometime King of Leichenberg

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Re: OOC Discussion regarding elections

Post by Raz »

Maybe you should give your characters slightly different personalities and views rathern than just different clothing?

Max II

Post by Max II »

They have different personalities. Perhaps lately I haven't emphasised that as much as I might, but to a large extent that is because a lot of my emotional energy is currently invested in RL matters. I would also respectfully point out that other people wanted the whole election thing, so it's a little unreasonable to place the onus solely upon me.

Now if I can get a better idea of what people are actually wanting/expecting, I shall try to be more forthcoming!
Max II

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Max II wrote:They have different personalities. Perhaps lately I haven't emphasised that as much as I might, but to a large extent that is because a lot of my emotional energy is currently invested in RL matters. I would also respectfully point out that other people wanted the whole election thing, so it's a little unreasonable to place the onus solely upon me.

Now if I can get a better idea of what people are actually wanting/expecting, I shall try to be more forthcoming!
No need to get defensive! My tone was off*, sorry. I think elections become interesting if something is at stake, your family looks a bit too functional to me. They all seem to get on with each other just a little too well. Perhaps you should try to make one or two of them not as nice as you are?

* My tone is almost always off, but I don't mean much by it most of the time.

Saohuang

Post by Saohuang »

If it helps at all to explain Saohuang's nomination of Max II, it was based on two factors: the one was geopolitical (he's a local, so to speak) and the other was, for lack of any better term, personal (she may have had accounts of the Mira Raynoras transmitted to her by her father... who spent quite some time in a cell in Lichbrook once). So there was enough context there, at least, for me to have her make a choice.

In any case... as for declunking the process of picking the emperor, I'm not sure how to go about it. It occurs to me that a system of rotation might work better than election when one person's juggling the various candidates, to be honest, though that's an OOC justification without a matching IC one.
AKA Shyriath
[spoiler]Image
DY (Dame of the Yoshi, Most Noble Order of the Yoshi, Natopia)[/spoiler]

Max II

Post by Max II »

RasmOS wrote:No need to get defensive! My tone was off*, sorry.
I'm sorry too! I've got a lot on mind and that is making me a mite touchy...
I think elections become interesting if something is at stake, your family looks a bit too functional to me. They all seem to get on with each other just a little too well. Perhaps you should try to make one or two of them not as nice as you are?
There are tensions...I'm just struggling to find a way to express them without having to write a lot of fiction (which isn't really my thing). I have been meaning to write up some material on the various members of the family; it's just a case of finding the time!
Saohuang wrote:If it helps at all to explain Saohuang's nomination of Max II, it was based on two factors: the one was geopolitical (he's a local, so to speak) and the other was, for lack of any better term, personal (she may have had accounts of the Mira Raynoras transmitted to her by her father... who spent quite some time in a cell in Lichbrook once).
:OO:

What was he doing in a cell?!
In any case... as for declunking the process of picking the emperor, I'm not sure how to go about it. It occurs to me that a system of rotation might work better than election when one person's juggling the various candidates, to be honest, though that's an OOC justification without a matching IC one.
My main concern is that I basically get to decide which of my characters gets the throne; that's why I suggested changing the system so that you and Ric get to nominate the candidates for election. On an OOC level, it might work better to do away with the nominations and just have the two of you choosing which of the family gets to be emperor (with me breaking ties)....perhaps there could be a period in which those of my characters who wish to be considered get to make the case for them being chosen.

That way, everyone's involved, I have an incentive to specify some sort of policy and you and Ric have decide who gets the throne. It makes no difference to me which of my characters wins, after all. ;)
Max II

Saohuang

Post by Saohuang »

Max II wrote: :OO:

What was he doing in a cell?!
The minions of the Queen of Lichbrook forgot he was there, as I recall. :twisted:
My main concern is that I basically get to decide which of my characters gets the throne; that's why I suggested changing the system so that you and Ric get to nominate the candidates for election. On an OOC level, it might work better to do away with the nominations and just have the two of you choosing which of the family gets to be emperor (with me breaking ties)....perhaps there could be a period in which those of my characters who wish to be considered get to make the case for them being chosen.

That way, everyone's involved, I have an incentive to specify some sort of policy and you and Ric have decide who gets the throne. It makes no difference to me which of my characters wins, after all. ;)
It's worth a try.
AKA Shyriath
[spoiler]Image

Nathaniel
Vagrant who is the owner of two celeriacs

Post by Nathaniel »

Dear Rossheim hivemind,

Well, as I see it, you can choose between two of your characters as emperor/empress. I see that everyone has different personalities and our characters have interacted in different ways. Saoshuang-Max2 is one example, but Nathaniel has good memories from his previous tenure as prince of Elwynn, with the politics of the Mira Raynoras. He grew up Elwynn after all, and the Mira Raynoras ruled during for several years through his childhood (in the Elw/Natopo calendar here). So he remembers and knows them. He doesn't have any relationship to the other Rossheimers as much.

Now it's up to you to decide which one of you you want to rule for December. Or... think how the other characters would vote? This strange family, surely there's intrigue, feud and loyalty you could explore very quickly. Who who vote for who? And why?

Then... we'll know who you'll win.
Nathaniel
NATHANIEL ANDRE UTAS AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED BIN SATHRATI OF WAFFEL-PAINE
[spoiler]Emir of Sathrati
Imperial Prince of Shireroth
Prince of Natopia
Prince of Leng
Duke of Cheshunt
Duke of New Aquitane
Marquess of Zy-Rodun
Count of Anmutstadt
Count of Cape Farewell
Master of the Cathedral of Eternal Slumber
Bosarch of New Aquitane
Lord von Zauberförde
Lord der Stadt der Gestrandeten ...
Knight of the Holy Lakes
Scion of the King of Kings[/spoiler]

Max von Rossheim

Post by Max von Rossheim »

Saohuang wrote: The minions of the Queen of Lichbrook forgot he was there, as I recall. :twisted:
She's the daughter of Moll...?
It's worth a try.
Well, we can consider that for next election. :)
Nathaniel wrote:Now it's up to you to decide which one of you you want to rule for December. Or... think how the other characters would vote? This strange family, surely there's intrigue, feud and loyalty you could explore very quickly. Who who vote for who? And why?
I've tried to vote according tio the interests of each character. Max I- possibly the most honourable- voted for his grandson ostensibly in recognition of the latter's willingness to hand over the Treisenbergish throne upon his return, but also because his beloved wife has a tense relationship with her mother. Max II voted for himself because he feels he merits the post more than his great grandmother. Sadamara's motivations are more obscure, but she voted for the candidate from elder branch of the family. Finally, Nela voted for Mira because her realm neighbours Overdolor.

As I said above, I shall try to work out some more complicated dynamics in time for the next vote. ;)
Max I
King of Leichenberg

Sometime Emperor of Sangun

Saohuang

Post by Saohuang »

Max von Rossheim wrote:She's the daughter of Moll...?
Not quite, but only two letters off...
As I said above, I shall try to work out some more complicated dynamics in time for the next vote. ;)
I look forward to it.
AKA Shyriath
[spoiler]Image

Return to “Council of Princes”