Social Democrats New Vaduz Party Congress

A Liechtenstein-themed principality, surrounded by Hamland on all sides in central Keltia.

Moderator: (Craitland) King of Craitland

Wil
Executed in accordance with imperial law

Social Democrats New Vaduz Party Congress

Post by Wil »

Wil Laing folded his hands neatly and listened to the roster of local party officials give their speeches.

He expected nothing out of the ordinary. A quick up or down vote would be taken. Then he would be notified that he had been renominated for a second term.

But then Chairman Cal Berntsen (cousin of Craitish Prime Minister Hjaņ Berntsen) made an unexpected announcement: Tal Lukon had submitted his name as a voting choise.

Tal Lukon?

Tal Lukon had been Wil Laing's enemy since his days organizing the workers in the manufacturing district. Tal Lukon had opposed every action he took at every turn, even lying to say that Laing was allied with their company managers and trying to trick them into a worse deal for themselves. In short, Lukon was harming the cause for his own self interested gain. Eventually, Lukon became tired of working for the union and joined the New Vaduz Herald-Observer, a second-string rag which specialized in editorials pandering to the business district, and gaudy advertisements to buy the goods of said business district. As far as Wil had known, Lukon had been toiling away as an advertising salesman there, not taking a serious interest in politics or organizing anymore.

The Party Congress then took its vote. 47% of the vote was for Tal Lukon. 46% of the vote was for Wil Laing. "Second place?" thought Wil. "That's ridiculous!" The remaining percentage was for minor candidates who were unheard of and not expected to win.

A second vote was taken between the two highest vote getters, Tal Lukon and Wil Laing. Tal Lukon won with 51% of the votes tallied. Therefore, Wil Laing would not be able to stand for election as Lord Mayor on the Social Democrats ticket.

"What shall I do?" Laing asked one of his advisors.

"You may have to run as an independent, or hope the Queen grants you a special extension of your term" replied the advisor. "That is--"

"That is what?" replied Laing.

"That is if your Calbion faux pas did not completely ruin any je ne sais quoi you might have with Her Majesty."

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Re: Social Democrats New Vaduz Party Congress

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Thadeus Laing greeted his cousin at Langeways. Then he said:

"Wil, I hear the Social Democrats won't be having you this next term!"

"That is correct."

"Who will be your replacement?"

"Tal Lukon."

"Tal Lukon? That's a surprise."

"I know." Wil said this with an expression of disgust.

"Have you considered switching parties?"

"No."

"Well then how about Centre Alliance-New Vaduz?"

"They were a part of the 43 AC national coalition weren't they?"

"That's right. And Alison Jorgen was their Prime Minister."

(See http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 32#p146646 .)

"That hung parliament sure was nerve racking."

"It was, but Centre Alliance proved with Alison Jorgen that they could be moderate and strong. I think you would be able to help them in New Vaduz."

"But aren't they your business friends and cronies, against the cause of the working man and woman?"

"I am for the working man and woman! Well, Centre aren't social democrats--but trust me they do have the interest of the average person at heart."

"There is no such thing as the average person in New Vaduz. We are all caught in the class struggle."

"Centre Alliance would require you keep New Vaduz as a tax haven. That is all. Then you can implement anything else you want."

"I oppose this compromise of my principles!"

"Her Majesty has already stated that New Vaduz must be kept a tax haven."

"Very well then. Cousin Laing, I shall resign as Lord Mayor very shortly, and go back to operating my cafe!"

"You do know what that would mean of course, don't you?"

"Yes, I know."

"Yes, I see you do know. Tal Lukon has no chance of winning. He's too small a name."

"So who will win?"

"Probably Uctabius Niro-Eryanu, the United Conservatives candidate."

"Uctabius? Oh no."

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Thadeus Laing wrote:"There is no such thing as the average person in New Vaduz.
Although if there were, they'd surely have a German name...
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Wil
Executed in accordance with imperial law

Post by Wil »

Wil Laing went home to his above-cafe apartment and went straight to bed.

The next morning he woke up, had hot breakfast with coffee, and mused on the latest development in the Beacon-Tribune.

Then he stared at the pigeons congregating on the street, down below his second-story porch.

Their coat of grey feathers reminded him of his old uniform from Young Cadets, a military training club that he was a part of as a Junior and Freshman at University of New Vaduz.

He then went upstairs and tried on his old cadet uniform.

"Hmm," Wil thought to himself as he adjusted his medals, one for first aid, another for mountain climbing, another for marksmanship, and another for a two month stint above a Craitish submarine during the summer. "The public may love that Uctabius, the United Conservatives candidate for Lord Mayor, was in CraitScouts. But I, Wil Laing, by Jove, was a Young Cadet!"

He tore off a piece of his toast and threw it to the pigeons which cooed and caused more to gather there, causing a minor stir amongst the passers-by on the street below.

Return to “New Vaduz”