[Proposal] Amendment to the Constitution of Whales

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) King of Normark

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

[Proposal] Amendment to the Constitution of Whales

Post by Continuator »

From the Lordship of Szandoh to all here present, greetings:-

In accordance with Article 9 of the Constitution of Whales it is hereby proposed by the Lordship of Szandoh to the Legislative Council that Section 4 of Article 2 of the Constitution shall be amended to henceforth read as follows, with the amended part being underlined:
A regent shall be appointed to provide for the Prince of Whales before they attain the age of eighteen years, or when two thirds of the House of Lords, by division, judges them unable to discharge the executive power, or upon proclamation of the same by the Prince of Whales in their own hand.

Kir

Re: [Proposal] Amendment to the Constitution of Whales

Post by Kir »

My Lords,

I know that I am under a regency, but I hope you will forgive me for indulging myself in taking the opportunity to speak with you on this matter.

The proposal brought forward on behalf of the right honourable Lord of Szandoh – who I understand is too frail to travel to this Palace (I trust that you all will join me in praying for his health) – is one of great importance to me, as you may understand its implications on my own person.

When you, my Lords, entrusted me to be your prince, I had been acting as an adult under Natopian and Shirerithian law. I brought together the constitutional convention, after forty years of disarray and dysfunctional government in these lands. And yet, we draft a constitution that explicitly makes me a child for four more years. Yet, I represent one seat of ou rprincipality in the Greater Frenzy. The various regulations on majority are in conflict with one another. In so, I fully support this proposal.

I see however that the Constitution that we wrote and enacted together prohibits any constitutional changes relating to the Prince himself for the duration of a regency. As such, we are at a conundrum here.

Might I offer a compromise, which I hope, with respect to my Lords and the Lady Regent herself – who has diligently governed these lands as viceroy much longer than any prince or other lord over these lands – would accept, and that is that perhaps I may be represented by a Regent much closer to my blood, family, species, and culture. That way, my interests as prince and Lord of Kigazeki may be placed in great security and trust for the duration of this extended childhood of mine. In that respect, I would like to nominate my cousins Prince David of Shireroth, and Princess Abigail, Princess of Rimarima, who I am confident would see much pleasure in catering for my interests as prince and lord of Kigazeki. Perhaps under a regency of either of them, the much needed enactment of regulations and appointments of lords for the vacant lordships, as well as the recognition of other de facto lords, so far unrecognized in the law of the principality, might be brought to closure.

It is with the greatest respect for the Lady Regent – who has, after all, governed these lands much longer than any one else – and for my most honourable Lords, that I speak. And should I in any way be out of place or turn, may I be sufficiently rebuked – as the child that I appear to be – in the ways of our lands.

:kowtow:

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

My Lords

I apologize a dozen times over for my absence; urgent matters regarding my personal health, and regarding the House of Miłarna, have seized the full measure of my attention in the intervening turns of Lady Tarsica, bidding me return home to attend to them.

Since my return to the Principality, I have picked up the resultant backlog, and issued several decrees in recent days, filling all vacant lordships. The words of the Lord of Kigazeki ring with the absolute truth of all-knowing Kaēna: no changes may be made to the Constitution as regards His Grace for as long as there is a regency. As such, the matter is closed.

May it please the House of Lords to permit me leave to pray before the Great Ancestrix for the good health and long life of the Lord of Szandoh.
Her Majesty Queen Áþamé Issèla Mari Vāstra of Firneramnen, Queen of Aňira, Archduchess of Alðai, Grand Duchess of Vatēmar, Princess of Shireroth, Lady of Kin'uyama and of Senkyōwan, Landgravine of the Vessāra Forest, Castellaness of the Bloodless Palace, Maid of Angarae, Grand Mistress of the Order of Itrāei, Lady of the Night Sky

Kir

Post by Kir »

My Lords,

I call upon us to revisit this clause. The arcane clause of 25 years for a prince has also caused all people who are adults but below this arbitrary limit of age to be without any rights, basically we've been feudal vassals under an oversteward of some sort.

I move that we do away with this stupidity, and let all adults be adults at 18.

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

I second the motion for a vote on the proposal.

DES Senya

Post by DES Senya »

I also support the proposal
Barnaby Hands

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

My Lords

Observation of Micran popular media and internets in the period since first contact have shown that humans not having attained the age of twenty-five years are not prepared to bear the mantle of adulthood, proven especially by the rashes of objectionable conduct that plague this world's institutions of tertiary and continuing education.

Therefore, I rise in opposition to the proposal.
Her Majesty Queen Áþamé Issèla Mari Vāstra of Firneramnen, Queen of Aňira, Archduchess of Alðai, Grand Duchess of Vatēmar, Princess of Shireroth, Lady of Kin'uyama and of Senkyōwan, Landgravine of the Vessāra Forest, Castellaness of the Bloodless Palace, Maid of Angarae, Grand Mistress of the Order of Itrāei, Lady of the Night Sky

Kir

Post by Kir »

I will let debate continue a bit longer...

Nathan II

Post by Nathan II »

I support of the age of maturity being set at 18 again. Although I do agree with the premise that a young adult probably has not had the life and education experiences necessary before they have completed a course of study at a college or university.

Perhaps this should be a call for educational reform in Whales and the wider empire to ensure students are emotionally mature enough to bear the responsibilities of adulthood.
His Most Bovic Majesty, Nathan II,
Emperor of the Natopians

Primo de Aguilar

Post by Primo de Aguilar »

My Lords,

On behalf of my beloved son,

Delfinenstrand proposes to amend the measure to twenty-one years, and yields.

Esmeralda al-Osman

Return to “Principality of Whales”