Mage Licensing

Appointed by the Joker, for the internal hilarity of the nation.

Moderator: (Gralus) King of Novatainia

Andreas the Wise

Mage Licensing

Post by Andreas the Wise »

License Class:
Practioner Mage (Authorised to practice spells from Class A, B and C, not authorised to create spells, not authorised to use spells for harmful purposes, not authorised to draw power from outside sources EXCEPT those authorised under subsection 6.3)
Creator Mage (As for Practioner Mage, and authorised to create spells)
Combat Mage (As for Practioner Mage, and authorised to use spells from Class D for harmful purposes when commanded to do so by duly constituted authority)
Archmage (Authorised to practice spells from Class A, B, C and D, authorised to create spells, authorised to use spells for harmful purposes, authorised to draw power from outside sources EXCEPT those forbidden under subsection 6.4)

Class A – Basic Effects
Spells producing the following effects:
Levitation (for moving objects)
Channel (for moving energy)
Mold (change shape of homogenous substance)
Morph (change shape and/or size of homogenous substance)
Illusion

Class B - Elementals
Spells affecting the following elements:
Air
Fire
Water
Earth
Electricity
Light

Class C – Advanced Effects
Spells producing the following effects:
Teleportation
Scrying
Enchant
Telepathy

Class D – Combat Spells
Spells affecting living creatures (including healing spells)
Spells granting limited sentience
Spells creating transfiguration or transmutation effects
Spells used to harm a creature (living or dead) or damage an object
Spells to cancel or limit the effects of other spells

Testing
To undergo a test for a Mage License, the applicant must be sponsored by a magical teacher authorised to teach the applicable licensing level OR provide two (2) character references.
They must then be able to perform the following spells on the day of their test. In all cases, multiple spells from one class must each be from different categories of spell for that class.
Practioner Mage: 3 spells from Class A, 3 spells from Class B, 2 spells from Class C. In addition, those not sponsored by a magical teacher authorised to teach the applicable licensing level must also undergo a test for precision and control, to ensure they will not cause harm, intended or otherwise.
Creator Mage: 4 spells from Class A, 4 spells from Class B, 3 spells from Class C and a spell of their own devising. In addition, those not sponsored by a magical teacher authorised to teach the applicable licensing level must also undergo a test for precision and control, to ensure they will not cause harm, intended or otherwise.
Combat Mage: 4 spells from Class A, 4 spells from Class B, 3 spells from Class C and 3 spells from Class D. In addition, applicant combat mages will need to undergo a test for precision and control, to ensure they will not cause unintended harm.
Archmage: Spell from every category of Class A, spell from every category of Class B, spell from every category of Class C, spell from every category of Class D, 2 spells of their own devising. In addition, applicant Archmages will need to undergo a test for precision and control, to ensure they will not cause unintended harm; and a test for energy drawing, to ensure they can do so in a safe manner.
Subsection 6: Sources of power (reproduced here for your convenience)
1. All licensed mages are authorised to draw power from their own bodies, as long as doing so will not cause lasting physical harm to them.
2. Applicants who have applied for the relevant learner license may draw power from other sources allowed under their license ONLY under the supervision of an authorised magical teacher for that level of license.
3. Licensed Practioner, Creator and Combat mages may not draw power from outside sources beyond their own body EXCEPT to draw power previously stored within stones or other authorised magical storage devices, and to draw power from a light or heat source belonging to them or that is a common good (such as the sun). They may draw from sources not mentioned from here ONLY where doing so will avert a nation-destroying apocalypse, and NEVER from another creature, living or dead, under any circumstances.
4. Licensed Archmages may draw on any outside power sources that belong to them or is a common good (such as the sun), EXCEPT for another creature, living or dead, which may NEVER be drawn from under any circumstances.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Gerk

Re: Mage Licensing

Post by Gerk »

I like it. Though I hope you realize that the laws of thermodynamics (because magic follows conservation of energy now) make it such that the sun is a really crappy energy source. Unless you want to sit out in the sun all day to cast one spell. I plan to detail this out when I get around to that web-based magic calculator I was going to make.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Andreas the Wise

Yeah, I figured that, but VBNC is going to use solar power to get a basic fire spell going, and I thought "Well, if they can, why not ordinary mages?" I expect that a whole industry will probably develop around providing the magical equivalent of batteries for mages to draw on.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kai Jackson

Post by Kai Jackson »

Do psions count as mages under Gralan law? :P

Andreas the Wise

This is for Novatainia only; and yes, they would.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I'm starting to think that the Empire as a whole should have some kind of regulation on commercial mages, that is, you have to be licensed if you want to make money off of your magic (consumer protection and all that) but it wouldn't be as strict as this.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

Intire conSidel

Post by Intire conSidel »

Intire and Aridi are both Tokish. Do I understand that they would not need to get licensed in Novatainia?

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

They would not. Toketi is more lax about this stuff.

This does beg the question, what happens if a Tokian mage travels to Novatainia for a brief time?
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

I would assume that since this was originally set up by King Lachlan (who is fairly anti-magic) and no Tokian licensing system exists, Tokian mages who wanted to use magic in Novatainia would have to get a license. Potentially academy students could get an 'automatic' license, but others would have to apply. That said, the original laws have been modified by the Director General of King and Cabinet, who effectively runs the government now, and is more interested in good policy than opposing magic. If Toketi/Gralus developed a general licensing system, Novatainia would probably be happy to recognise it.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I might draw something up for commercial purposes at some point, but it's not high on the to-do list.
~Sherlock Holmes

Return to “The Ministries”