Map

Forge your own destiny, geography, and history. The world is your canvas, and the imagination is your palette. Explore a world shrouded in a fog of the unknown.
Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Map

Post by Orion »

http://bastionunion.org/mundus/mundusmap100.png

I just started this this morning, so it's blank. I'll work on it more tonight and see what I can hack together based on what people posted in the sign-up thread.

A couple of points that crossed my mind while doing this:
1. Do we want a set pixel-to-area ratio like Micras has? We can dispense with this altogether (along with other set measurements) but it makes it difficult when trying to say Nation A is XXX square miles versus Nation B which claims to be YYY square miles. Of course, if you have an unmapped world you don't really know what your scale measurements are...

2. Keep or dispense with lat/lon degrees?

3. Map size is not set in stone. If it needs to be increased vertically or horizontally then we can, it was simply convenient to use the claimsmap as a basis for making a new map.

HIM Lina VII

Re: Map

Post by HIM Lina VII »

One of these days I'll have to see if I can't make a claimsmap of Daia... :P

But my only problems are (1) "Micras Ratio: 2" and we're not on Micras ;) (2) "Equator Length: 43,200 km" when that's not fixed yet. But those are pretty minor.
Lina VII (Mimir Ašura)
30th Safir Empress
Played by Carl

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

I think we do need a scale for the main map...but I'd really prefer a larger scale than Micras (although that means not mapping the entire world, due to overall size). Otherwise, moderately-sized nations (like mine) will fit in a few dozen pixels and we'll either be left with lot of blank space or people will start making ever-larger claims...and suddenly it will be Micras Version 2.

Maybe we could have a series of larger scale maps alongside a smaller map noting roughly where those areas are in relation to each other. So, an area the size of Europe for the "western" nations and another are of similar size for "eastern" nations. Something like that.

EDIT: To illustrate what I mean about scale, my proposed country (which I haven't had time to finalise yet, sorry) is roughly the size of RW Valais, so call it 5400 square km. Assuming a location at roughly 60 degrees north, where each pixel on a Micras-scale map is 12x6 km, that means the entire country will take up 75 pixels.
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Not that it's my place, but if I were making the map, I'd go with something more to scale with a sphere such as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavrayskiy_VII_projection
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Return to “Mundus Incognitus”