Poll on Mundus Incognita Project

Forge your own destiny, geography, and history. The world is your canvas, and the imagination is your palette. Explore a world shrouded in a fog of the unknown.

Would you participate?

Yes
53%
No
20%
Don't know
27%

Total votes: 15

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Poll on Mundus Incognita Project

Post by Orion » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Alright, so if I'm going to be the force of impetus behind this idea, then I'd like to see who would actually participate. A new Mundus Incognita/Archipelago isn't going to work with one or two people.

Structure:
Mundus Incognita presents participants with a blank map. The world is completely unexplored except for the immediate environs of your nation. You determine the geography of your country, recognizing that what you describe will determine some parameters of your placement (e.g. if you describe a temperate climate, don't expect to be equatorial); if you provide no description, you leave your placement to the discretion of the Master Cartographer. Everyone uses a common scale when submitting a claim and that if you want your nation to adjoin a pre-existing country (preferably having first talked to that country), you must respect their geography as defined: in other words, if they have a mountain range on their border, you can't ignore that. If you don't want the mountain range, either set your country a little further away or place it somewhere else entirely.

^ Parts of the above plagiarized from the thread in Leichenberg.

You get the gist of it anyways. The structure has yet to be hammered out in detail, but that is the basic premise. If this appeals to you then either answer in the affirmative to the poll or state your interest in reply.

Joshua St Endellion

Re: Poll on Mundus Incognita Project

Post by Joshua St Endellion » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 pm

It should be incognitus*, but I don't know... I like Micras and I hate all attempts at doing things outside it. It's a good idea, this project, but I don't think it would lead anywhere.
Joshua Saint Endellion
Chancellor of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm in with a side project.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 am

I'll be in on this.
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Seoni Milharna
It has always been x, and there is no need to change that.

Post by Seoni Milharna » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:04 am

I'm in. Proly gonna revive the Emirate.
Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 am

So, when will this project take shape? And will we have a seperate forum or will we operate on bastion?

Max II

Post by Max II » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 am

Naturally, I'm in. It may take me a while to get going, though, as eye-strain is forcing me to cut down the amount of free time I spend on computers. :(
Max II
Reigining Emperor of Sangun
King of Steeria and Highfield

Sometime King of Leichenberg

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:52 am

Max II wrote:Naturally, I'm in. It may take me a while to get going, though, as eye-strain is forcing me to cut down the amount of free time I spend on computers. :(
Maybe it is caused by a lack of glasses, rather than an abundance of computers?
Light of Heavens

Max II

Post by Max II » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:45 pm

I've worn glasses most of my life. Now it could be that I need new ones, but given that a) the problems began rather suddenly, after a period of particularly intensive use of computers and b) the sort of lenses I require cost in the region of £500+, I'm not about to rush out and get a new pair without trying a few other strategies first. :-D
Max II

Orion

Post by Orion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Well there seems to be enough general interest, with only one person indicating they would not participate on the poll, so hopefully I can start getting things sorted for this over the weekend. There is no urgency to this, so I'm perfectly fine with taking a slow pace and clearly organizing the structure and function of the project.

And if anyone would prefer a name other than Mundus Incognitus, feel free to make suggestions. I pulled that out of my..... hat.
Joshua St Endellion wrote:It should be incognitus*, but I don't know... I like Micras and I hate all attempts at doing things outside it. It's a good idea, this project, but I don't think it would lead anywhere.
If I had my druthers, I'd set this up on one of Micras' unmapped-yet-habitable sister planets, like Indigo. But that would mean working in conjunction with the MCS, and I have not approached Craitman about the idea. I may run it past him though. There's no reason we couldn't use Indigo, and it would at least keep it within the same realm as Micras.

Seoni Milharna

Post by Seoni Milharna » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Max II wrote:the sort of lenses I require cost in the region of £500+
D: Why so expensive?
Choygal Kamala wrote:If I had my druthers, I'd set this up on one of Micras' unmapped-yet-habitable sister planets, like Indigo. But that would mean working in conjunction with the MCS, and I have not approached Craitman about the idea. I may run it past him though. There's no reason we couldn't use Indigo, and it would at least keep it within the same realm as Micras.
What about Momiji? ;)
Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Seoni Milharna wrote:What about Momiji? ;)
Well, there's an existing map of that already...

*embarrassedcoughbecausethevectorizationisn'tdoneyet* :oops:
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

Seoni Milharna

Post by Seoni Milharna » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Well you know what your next job is then :whip: ;)
Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Orion

Post by Orion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Indeed, Momiji already has a map (by me, rather ironically), so that won't work for this type of approach.

*prods Shy*

GIT R DONE! :p

Seoni Milharna

Post by Seoni Milharna » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Orion

Post by Orion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:04 am

Oh, I forgot I drew that.... :oops:

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:03 am

Suckaaaaa.

Perhaps one of the planets could be retconned? A space probe got sent there millennia ago, old technology, poor resolution on the photographs, maybe the results were even gained at a bad angle during a flyby, and a recent survey finds that the map is totally inaccurate? Or maybe some BS atmospheric phenomenon even stymies consistent space photography entirely? Oh dear, what a shame, the only way to really map Momiji will be from the ground, and then the kind of map you'd get would be exactly the kind we were thinking of doing for this (and incidentally would render my vectorization a needless project)! :mrgreen:

Orion

Post by Orion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 am

Fat chance. Get to work! :whip: =p

If I was going to retcon something it'd be the horrible map of Indigo.

Max II

Post by Max II » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:51 am

I like the idea of situating this new world on one of Micras' sister planets, as that does maintain a certain cohesiveness to this sector; my only real issue with working alongside the MCS is that could easily lead to the very sort of bureaucracy that risks stifling this and other projects.

This is not a criticism of the Craitster & co. We all (or at least most of us) lead busy lives and I for one am grateful that some among us are prepared to deal with the admin stuff that is so easily taken for granted. Having said that, the Karalakh-Highpass land exchange is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the systems we have created. Within a couple of days of submitting the proposal, most people had seen it and agreed to go along with it...but I then had to wait the best of a week for the Landsraad to vote (and this is with a conscientious Praetor!) and now I'm waiting for the MCS to rubber-stamp it. This is a story I have seen so many times before- someone has an idea, people think its a good one and then the whole thing gets stuck in bureaucratic hell for just long enough to dampen down some of the initial enthusiasm.

We have no-one to blame for this situation but ourselves. I'm certainly equally culpable, as I discovered when I realised just how many separate pieces of legislation I would need to prepare to "legalise" the transfer cited above! We seem to be very good at churning our rules and regulations that get in the way of our own enjoyment and I'm not really sure why...
Seoni Milharna wrote:D: Why so expensive?
My eyes are pretty bad, so I use specially-made lenses from Germany. Could I get away with something cheaper? Possibly...but then perhaps they would work less well for me and it would be a false economy. The bottom line is that any sort of ongoing health issue, be it with your eyes or another part of you, is usually expensive.
Max II

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:30 am

Wasn't the idea to start with a blank map? So, we don't need to decide what the map is going to look like exactly rightaway. As long as we all pick a spot and decide what is there, we can work with it.

Return to “Mundus Incognitus”