Gerk's Death

The place for role playing, expeditioning, and other group story-telling exercises.
Gerk

Gerk's Death

Post by Gerk »

Right, so I've been putting this off for far too long, between being lazy busy with schoolwork and just not wanting to lose this character. Over the years, I've put quite a lot of effort into Gerk, and as much fun as I know it's going to be with some of the changes I'm planning, I just don't want to give up on him. But, alas, it's time.

A general note on this topic: The main reason I've put it here is so that people see it. Didn't want to just stick it in the far-too-inactive Gralus forum where only perhaps Andreas and Corey would notice. For the most part, this is just a Q&A session for the last few hours of Gerk's life, for whoever wants to participate. And, if you show up (and you've made some sort of valuable IC impact in Gerk's life), you may walk away with a bequeathal. </incentive>
Rafel knew it was time. For two days now Gerk had been unable to leave his bed, and Rafel could feel his life force slowly slipping away.

It was ten in the morning on a chill fall day when Rafel finished the carefully crafted letters explaining Gerk's deteriorating condition. And, not leaving the old man's bedside, he sent them one by one to those who most deserved to know firsthand. The media would not be notified until tomorrow. With each letter came an invitation to visit Gerk before he passed. Rafel hoped that the invitations were answered. There were, after all, still quite a few loose ends to tie up, and the right people needed to be here in order for that to happen.

But the clock was running out quickly, and there was not much that could be done to prolong it. Gerk was dying.
But feel free to join in and ask questions if you want; while I do have plans that require some questions to be left unanswered, I don't mind you asking them, as I'll just ignore them in the typical Gerk fashion. The more people, the better, since I won't have to pose all the questions myself.

That being said, I do require the following characters to be in attendance: Kara and Waldgrave, as the other two triumvirates, and Z'hin-il, as I have something rather important to give you.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Kaiser Reynardine II

Re: Gerk's Death

Post by Kaiser Reynardine II »

What do the odds look like for Liam II attending and leaving in one piece?

Also, if I find the time for it, Reynardine (the deity, not the Kaiser) might "pop in for a bit".
(Edit: to clarify, yes, Reynardine = Liam I)
AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Liam II being the one who tried to start a secession? I personally don't have a problem with him showing up, and seeing as how I'm probably the one he crossed most, I don't see why there would be trouble. Upon thinking about it, it's a character I ought to be expecting IC but was not even considering OOC. I'll have to have a chat with you about it.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

Would it at all be plausible if the queen of Safiria showed up? :P

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I think it's safe to assume that, as I'm a King, notifications went out to heads of state and important people all over Micras. That's why I left that part of the story a bit ambiguous, so if any PC wants to show up, they have the justification for it.

Although it should be noted that I don't expect I'll have bequeathals for everybody. It's not like I can give parts of the country away, and I only have so many personal effects.
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

“So death has caught up with him, in the end?”

The question was addressed to Rafel. While Waldgrave had worked closely with Gerk, he had never really got to know his right hand man that well. Rafel nodded in answer. There was little more to be said.

Waldgrave had been expecting this day for a while now – Gerk had never looked too good since Nargoth’s trial – and the death of the man he had worked with so much on the Triumvirate was more important than any foreign affairs. Negotiating tax concessions with Normark could wait. Gerk was practically family. “Can I go in and see him?”
Ok, I’m there. I’ll let you respond as you want before I start asking questions, but you can put ‘Who will succeed you on Toketi’s throne?’ and ‘Any suggestions for a new Chief Justice, since Lady Luna has not been seen for a while?’ in my lips if you want (with minor variations to fit into the context, of course) as I'm unlikely to be online for the next two days at least. Not having internet at home is really starting to get annoying :(
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

"Yes, of course," replied Rafel. "He's been saving his strength for some time now, he should be able to remain cognizant for a good length of time, perhaps up until..." Rafel trailed off, not really wanting to speak it aloud. Gesturing, he led Waldgrave into Gerk's room.

"Ah, Vincent," Gerk said, greeting the man with a smile. "I thought you might be the first to arrive. Rafel, if you would?"

Rafel nodded, and conjured up a chair for the Lord General. As Waldgrave sat, he noticed that while Gerk looked physically much worse than when he had last seen him, there was no sense of fear or sadness in his expression. In fact, he still had that mischievous glint in his eye. It was somewhat unnerving, actually, considering Waldgrave had no idea what kind of tricks the old man could still have up his sleeve in his current state.

"I know you have questions," Gerk continued. "And I can probably guess what the most pressing ones are. But why don't we wait until the others arrive. For now, why don't we discuss more personal matters?"

Waldgrave merely nodded, unsure of what to expect.

"I've known you for quite some time now, and we haven't always seen eye to eye. Not that it's a bad thing. There is no progress without conflict, after all. That's a lesson I learned a long time ago. But, to be honest, Vincent, I've never really been able to figure you out. I suppose that makes us similar, in a way. But I keep secrets, whereas you hide something entirely different. You're the sort of person who keeps to himself, who likes to rely on his own ability to get the job done. You're a born leader, Vincent, perhaps the best I've ever seen. But, to be perfectly frank, I don't know a thing about you. For weeks, I've tried to come up with an appropriate gift to give you, until I finally realized that I couldn't - because I have almost no idea who Vincent Waldgrave is. So, as my last request to you, Vincent, I want to get to know you. I want to know your passions, your fears, your loves. I want to know what makes you laugh, and what makes you cry. And then I want to ask you what it is that you desire from me, within reason, and I want to grant it."

Gerk could see Waldgrave hesitating. Clearly it was not what he was expecting out of this meeting.

"If you'd like, I can send Rafel away. And I think, perhaps, a certain fox deity would be more than happy to give us all the Time we need to finish our conversation before the others arrive."
I thought of a use for your suggestion, Corey.
Naturally, in order to preserve continuity, I'll need those who wish to join in to wait until this conversation is over before doing so.

Gerk's IC thoughts about Waldgrave very muchly mirror my own OOC thoughts. Upon thinking about what to give him, I realized I had no idea what his backstory was, and when trying to find it, all I could pull up was his part in the Al'Magroth war, where he's described as a good leader, and a short character bio in the elections thread that mentions sailing. But I can't recall reading anything much else about his personality. So I'm curious. (Naturally, it's been a year since the character was introduced, and I could have forgotten/been unable to find things. I do tend to forget things.)
Last edited by Gerk on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Sherlock Holmes

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

It was the best of Gerks. It was the worst of Gerks.

I got nothin.

Z-hin'il

Post by Z-hin'il »

Z was in his office when the letter arrived. He had been going over several designs submitted by contractors, but upon learning the letters origin, he quickly turned all of his attention to it.

After reading the contents, he poured himself a glass from his liquor cabinet, and read the letter again. After going through it a second time, and a second glass, he pulled out his PDA, and began cancelling his appointments. He then called on Amara and Claire, who were in the parlour at the time.

After a few minutes, they entered his office. Affer a moment, he explained to them. “Gerk is dying. The end draws near for him.” He said, simply. Saddened expressions then clouded their faces, and Z drew them near. “Let us visit him. My dear old friend, one last time.”

------------------

Rafel received them at the front door, and showed them in. He bade them to take a seat, and he would return to bring them to Gerk when he was ready to see them.
The Z.

Kaiser Reynardine II

Post by Kaiser Reynardine II »

A shining gold and silver fox stepped out from the wall next to Gerk's bed.

Perhaps not all the time, the rules prohibit me from doing such, but I can certainly provide plenty of time for this conversation and any others you might need to make, friend.

Reynardine, once Liam conToketi, a long-gone predecessor of King Gerk's, hopped up on the dying monarch's bed. A soft copper glow filled the room for a few seconds then faded to faint fog. I've slowed time in this room. To an outside viewer, time has accelerated to a blurring pace here, while to us, the outside moves at a snails pace.

While I'm here, we might as well make ourselves comfortable. The fox touched his nose to Gerk's hand. The King felt all his aches and pains subside, his breath eased. He still couldn't move much, but it certainly freed up some of his attention to be focused on the matters at hand. Again, I can't violate the rules, but I can hold this long enough for your needs.
AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

"Thank you, Reynardine," replied Gerk. "Your assistance is much appreciated."
Yeah, I know, not much substance there, but I figured I should reply to the gesture.
~Sherlock Holmes

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

Her Majesty the Queen had not been aboard the imperial flagship Amane for an hour when the phone rings in her office dead midship.

«Osiyo...?»
Hello...?

«Aa, Mişraleva-swfharit! Ako xre?»
INTJ Mişraleva-general how be-2P.SING.PRES
Ah, General Mishraleva! How are you?

Her eyes widen, and any emotion that was on her face before is replaced with stark disbelief.

«Na...?»
What...?

«On... ivewk...?»
he(-ABS) die-2P.SING.PAST.PERF
He's... died...?

«Aa, ivewp...?»
INTJ die-2P.SING.PRES.PROG
Oh, dying...?

«Ua, ħriv.»
yes be-1P.SING.FUT
Yes, I'll be there.

She hangs up the phone, then snaps her fingers to grab the attention of the nearest crewman.

«Ty. Şeirex an stotne çwvran Mikrastara. Sawmrei.»
you tell-2P.SING.IMP the captain-ERG jump-INF Micras-ALL now-EMPH.MAX
You. Tell the captain to jump to Micras. Right now.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

(OOC: CJ, how are the different "Safirian" letters pronounced? I'd like to read that dialogue as accurate as possible :))
Ghost of Dâniyal the Dead
Disturb not my sleep!

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

<p t ť c k q ʾ> /p t ʈ~tʰ c k q ʔ/
<f v s þ ş ł ç ħ x h> /ɸ f s θ ʂ~ʃ ɬ ɕ~t͡ʃ x~ħ~ʕ h/
<m n ñ> /m n ŋ/
<r l i e w a> /ɾ l i ɛ ɯ ɑ/
<ř ll y ø u o> /ɾʷ~ʀ~ʁ lʷ~ɮ~ʎ y œ~ø u o/

Where multiple pronunciations are given, the first is Standard Xylphika and others are colloquial.

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

Also, I inadvertently neglected to mention in the previous table that <x> is /χ/.

Andreas the Wise

Vincent cast a glance at Rafel, then addressed Gerk. “You trust him with your life, of course. But do you trust him with all matters of state?”
“I don’t trust anyone with all matters of state,” Gerk replied calmly. “But he comes close enough.”
“I won’t share your secrets, Mr Waldgrave,” Rafel added.
Vincent nodded, satisfied. “And this room is secure from listening ears?”
“Just about,” Gerk replied.
Vincent relaxed, and smiled. “Then I may speak freely, for the first time in a while.”

“If you remember nothing else about me, know that I am a family man, and a patriot. That just about sums up my life. I did Arts at university – History, Politics and Economics – and as soon as I graduated, I started working for NISB. I was eager to serve my country and this seemed the best way to do it. I think I was pretty good at it, by the end. I certainly got around a lot in my time. Chasing bounty hunters in Amokolia, breaking a smuggling ring in Batavia, stealing military designs from New Britannia, investigating the Katarian Empire, not to mention my work in Lovely – I’d swear I was in their ministerial offices more often than their own King! Dangerous, but I was serving my country, and that’s what I wanted to do. And then I met Clara.

I’d broken into Montag Industries and taken some samples – NISB were hoping to deal with the Montag Virus – but Novatainia lacked the genetics capability. So I was instructed to take the samples to the University of Toketi genetics department. They’d just got a new head of department – the young and beautiful Clara Hopkins. She had a brilliant intellect and extensive knowledge – we could hold an intelligent conversation on everything from third century Matbaaic history to the latest in genetic modifications. But what really got me was how loving and caring she was – even to the cleaning staff. Well, one thing led to another, and we got married. We were both keen to have kids, and we knew NISB wasn’t a career conducive to family life, so I left and became a forensics officer.

That lasted a while, during which our first two children were born – Joanne and Deborah. But before Deborah was three months old, a pirate ring I’d been investigating did a sail-by-looting of our house. Clara put her foot down, and I’ll admit it scared me too. I loved my children, and I didn’t want them to be hurt by what I did. So I got a desk job in an insurance firm instead. I worked there for a decade, during which time my son, Samuel was born. It was a peaceful decade, under Andreas the Wise as King, and Novatainia a province of the Gralan Empire. But then Andreas left, and the demons came. And I was on holiday.

Well – you know what I did at St Nova that day, so no need to go over that again. But that made me realise we weren’t as safe as I’d thought. So I put my name forward to be Lord General. I had given up on that sort of work to keep my family safe – but I realised then that unless our nation was in good hands, nobody’s family would be safe. You might remember that sort of sentiment from my election speech. But there was ... another reason. One I haven’t told anybody who didn’t already know.”

Waldgrave leaned forward at this point, and began to whisper. Rafel couldn’t hear this bit, nor could Reynardine, but Gerk listened, and smiled as he did.
“You will recall a couple years ago that Andreas the Wise, one of Gralus’ staunchest defenders, disappeared into the blue almost without warning. However guilt ridden it was, didn’t it strike you as a little odd that he would not set things up to protect his beloved country while he was gone? Well, he did.

I knew Andreas from my NISB days, as he was Foreign Minister for much of that time. He came to respect me as an man of honour and wit. I wasn’t the only one. He got together seven people before he left, and gave us each tasks for the ongoing defence of Gralus and the world. Mine was to ensure that the non-magical strength of Gralus was maintained – that militarily we could defend ourselves, and diplomatically we were not unpopular. I nodded and said yes at the time, but I was doing it to keep an old friend’s conscience happy. I didn’t think it necessary – I was still in insurance. And so I ignored it for a while – ran from it, you could almost say – but then Al’Magroth came, then the demons burned St Nova’s, and I could run from it no more. And so here I am, Lord General of Gralus.”

Waldgrave leaned back and began to speak normally again. “Well, you have my bio now. There isn’t much more to say. I love my family and I love my country, and I do what I must to keep them both safe. That includes not working too late at the office too often, no matter how bad a crisis we’re in – I knew this was a job I could easily get caught up in, so I make myself come home and remember what I’m doing it for. Who I’m doing it for. My secretary still says I take my work too seriously – I guess I do present a fairly serious face in public. I don’t have as much time for humour as I would like, but when I do, I tend towards dry wit – like that Lovely sitcom, ‘Yes Minister’. My deepest fear is that someone will do something horrible to my family because of my job; and if that happens I doubt that I will be able to restrain my response. I cry when I see a good nation going to waste or held to ransom by arrogance and pride; and I cry when I see my children in pain. Which brings me to what I can ask of you.”

Waldgrave paused, and this time it was the others who leaned forward. “What I would really like, Gerk, is to know my family is safe, no matter where my job takes me. I can have military men defend them no trouble, but I cannot command an Archmage to defend them; and my wife would refuse to have big obvious magical defences installed in the house because she would say that would mean I was working too hard, and besides, obvious defences would just make my house a magical target. If there is some way you can keep them safe, particularly from magic, in a way that doesn’t have an aura visible from a mile away – that I would be very thankful for. If not, anything to keep them safer would be nice.”

He finished, and waited for Gerk’s response.
Thanks for that – that really made me think and helped me flesh out the character more – I think this is consistent with how I’ve played him thus far, but gives me a lot more to go on in the future too :)
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

That was one of my reasons for inquiring. You haven't really had the opportunity in the past to give him much characterization, and I figured you'd appreciate that.
"You ask a difficult thing of a man who has long since lost his ability in the magical arts. Rafel and I have done quite a bit of experimentation regarding the Six Laws, and, I'm afraid, there's really no practical way around them. If you want a magical defense, it's going to be visible to other mages, and the stronger it is, the more visible."

Waldrgave looked disappointed.

"But there are more practical methods, I think. Perhaps what would benefit you most would be a detection system. An enchantment like that would be much simpler, and less visible to the average magic user. And it could easily include a number of other useful things, such as emergency communication and even emergency teleportation. How does that sound? I'm not in much of a state to take care of the enchanting at the moment, but I will do it very soon. Oh, but I'll need to know whether you care if your wife knows about it or not."
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

Waldgrave thought for a moment. "If you set such a thing up, other mages could not, by looking at it, see where it teleported people in an emergency?"
Gerk nodded. "Believe me, if mages could tell where other mages had teleported just by looking at the spell, magical law enforcement would be a whole lot easier."
Waldgrave, "And of course, it wouldn't be using any electricity if it's magical - Clara is keen on saving the environment." He smiled. "Yes, I think such a thing would be excellent, and she wouldn't mind it at all. Why didn't I think of this earlier?" he muttered to himself.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

"Right, as I said, I'll take care of it in a bit." Gerk turned to the fox. "Thank you, Reynardine, you may return time to its normal progression."

Because of the time dilation, only moments had passed for the outside world while Gerk and Waldgrave held their conversation. And, as such, no other guests had yet arrived. Gerk sent Rafel to the sitting room and informed him that he could show those who came directly to the bedroom. So, one by one, the guests arrived and sat in the chairs provided them by Rafel, and held mostly trivial conversation until it was apparent that most of those who were necessary for the important affairs were there. Z-hin'il, Amara, and Claire were first to arrive, followed by the Empress, Kara, and the Queen of Safiria. There were a few other important people from around Gralus there, as well, and two of the more important members of the Anabatin community.

Eventually, Gerk motioned for silence, and addressed the room. "My time left may be relatively short, but it is more than long enough to attend to any and all matters at hand. I have gifts for most of you, the first of which is the opportunity to ask of me any questions that you might be pondering. I cannot promise that I will answer all of them, but I will answer what I am able and willing to. We shall get to the more physical gifts when the conversation takes us there."
I've added Kara in now, just because she really ought to be there. Bayen, if you had other plans (which I doubt, since you're probably just busy), feel free to correct me.

For now, I'll leave the pace up to all of you, and hopefully it'll work this way. If things aren't moving along very well, or start to slow down, I'll grab the reigns again and head into the bequeathals.
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

"I have a question, if nobody else wants to start," Waldgrave ventured. "You've always been committed to Gralus and Toketi, and taken your leadership of both seriously. With you gone, the shoes of Chief Justice and King of Toketi will both be very hard to fill - with the results of the election for Chief Justice inconclusive, there is no obvious heir for either. I'm sure you have contigency plans, knowing you, so I'm interested - who do you think should succeed you in each role?"
Someone had to ask it :p

[Edited to avoid reference to Luna - Ed]
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “Roleplaying”