[Cartography] Maps of Natopia

Cartography, Empire Library, and the Library of Law

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) Minister of Information

Ivo Angus

Re: [Cartography] Maps of Natopia

Post by Ivo Angus »

Awesome. Why don't we modify the Micran map?

Naian the Evergreen

Post by Naian the Evergreen »

We can, just waiting on Walstadt reduction resolution to pass so we can do it all at once as a courtesy to the MCS admins.
Naian

Nathan

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

Indeed, we need to keep the number of individual claims to a minimum and submit as many in bulk as possible if we are likely to have a number of changes in any given month.
His Imperial Highness Erion of Waffel-Paine,
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Naian the Evergreen

Preliminary map of overdue, recent, and pending updates, to be sent to the MCS.

Elijah's Rest un-striped (overdue)
Elijah's Rest icon from city to regional capital (overdue)
New Aquitane-Arboria border dotted to indicate union (pending)
St. Christipher's icon from city to regional capital (overdue)
Princely Island renamed Princely Isle (per request)
Neridia-Istvanistan border dotted to indicate union (recent)
Sororiya-Universalis-Flaventia borders solid to indicate break-up (recent)
Oakham icon from capital to city (overdue)
Augustus border to indicate cession to Arboria (recent)

If anyone wants other changes make 'em now ;)
Naian

Nathan

Janus Eadric

Post by Janus Eadric »

We actually have some internal modifications we want to do at the Most Serene Union. Here's a preview of the maps we will be unveiling soon:

His Serene Highness
JANUS
Prince of the Most Serene Union of Thalassa, Neridia, Istvanistan, and St. Andre
Member of the Central Committee of Edgards

Noor bint Daniyal

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

Janus Eadric wrote:We actually have some internal modifications we want to do at the Most Serene Union. Here's a preview of the maps we will be unveiling soon:

Well, Istvanistan is still a demesne, even if it transferred to you. The borders of the demesne of Istvanistan ought to be shown. But I like the proposed subdivision names :D
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

Janus Eadric

Post by Janus Eadric »

Well, then I'm not sure how to display demesne borders and county borders then. To be honest, the county borders are the ones that matter the most, Istvanistan for all purposes is considered in the Most Serene Union as Neridia. The terms are used interchangeably. One day I'd like that to be reflected in the Caprine Code, but of course, that will be a fight for another day.
His Serene Highness
JANUS
Prince of the Most Serene Union of Thalassa, Neridia, Istvanistan, and St. Andre

Noor bint Daniyal

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

That's a tricky question, I agree.

One option, I suppose, is to regard Istvanistan a bit like New England, a loose collection of counties/states, but with no official government of its own. Istavnistan's own government would then have to be delegated to that of Neridia and the counties.

As no demesne can be removed without the Emperor's proposal, and the overwhelming majority of the Frenzy, it ought at least to be shown. I am not sure about what to do with the borders, as the MCS only allows for two types of internal borders, not three. Perhaps the county borders could be dotted but in a different colour, and ask for the MCS to recognize that given the peculiarities and uniqueness of the situation. The hierarchy of borders should be Union borders, Demesne borders, other borders, even if the demesne itself does not fill any administrative role in the government any more.
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

Janus Eadric

Post by Janus Eadric »

One option, I suppose, is to regard Istvanistan a bit like New England, a loose collection of counties/states, but with no official government of its own. Istavnistan's own government would then have to be delegated to that of Neridia and the counties.
I'd be friendly to this! I mean, I've trended more towards using Istvanistan as the name of the island itself, a geographical term separated from the current political reality/organization.

I'll have to present a new map taking this into consideration when I get back early next week then. Any help on this would be welcome!
His Serene Highness
JANUS

Gwyneth Angus-Moonoak

Post by Gwyneth Angus-Moonoak »

Nice names indeed as well as nice developments.

As regards the borders, I think it's important that demesnal borders exist. Exist for as long as a demesne is so recognised by the Caprine Code. Otherwise, we will be running into the situation of whether a name in the Code refers to the pre-border or post-border changes, etc. I'll be supportive of the governmental changes you'd wish to bring, its natural that you do, and I think the entire Frenzy will.
Her Imperial Highness, Gwyneth Angus-Moonoak of Waffel-Paine DBH
Former Vicereine of the Natopian Nation, Princess of Natopia, Lady Triumphant in All Four Quarters, Dame of the Black Hole, Former Crown Duchess of the Marches and the Princely Isle, Countess of Pavleton

Naian the Evergreen

I don't think there's a reason to re-do the county map as proposed. As Queen Noor suggested, the border of the Demesne of Istvanistan can effectively be "ignored" from the perspective of the MSU as the MSU has full control over the entire island, there is really no practical difference between the Demesne of Istvanistan and the Demesne of Neridia from its point of view. So these maps and borders can be used internally. (also, the counties wouldn't be shown on the MCS map anyways, as other sub-sub-divisions like Flaventia's duchies, Egale's counties, etc., are also not shown)
Naian

Nathan

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

With all due respect, your Majesty, while Istvanistan is indeed now a demensial member of the MSU, there is as yet no agreed relationship between the Duchy and the MSU government. However, even if there were, the Caprine Code states that subdivisions are the responsibility of each respective demesne, and given Istvanistan's responsibility has not been waived, delegated or otherwise altered, that remains the case. Given that the Caprine Code thus infers that subdivisions cannot therefore exist across demesnial borders, the borders between the demesnes of Istvanistan and Neridia can only be altered by mutual agreement if the proposed subdivisions are to be implemented. That there is no ordinary means of displaying them on the MCS map is of no relevance as we can always produce our own large scale maps if we have sufficient resources to do so.
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Naian the Evergreen

I think we're saying the same thing... I was suggesting a way for the MSU to use their counties internally without affecting the maps we submit to the MCS. No matter how Istvanistan and the MSU decide to organize themselves, the border between Neridia and Istvanistan will remain on the official map hosted by the MCS because they're both Demesnes.

I think I see a new city added to Thalassa, so that can be added to the MCS claim :)
Naian

Nathan

Janus Eadric

Post by Janus Eadric »

We can just leave the map as it stands and add the new city in northern Thalassa then. Did not mean to cause any issues, just reflect the reality of how things are now organized in the Most Serene Union irrespective of others' interpretation of our own administrative realities. :) That is all.

I do however wish to have more information on what Lord Erion just stated - because it seems like despite the demesne being fully transferred by the Frenzy there is no relationship between it and the MSU? I am confused now.
His Serene Highness
JANUS

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

We should continue that topic in the MSU then, as this one is supposed just to be about maps.

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Who's in charge of bringing this to the MCS?
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Naian the Evergreen

Oh yea, I'll go send this their way. :up1:
Naian

Nathan

Ryker
The Third Ryke