Ric's hate thread

All is fair in love, war, and the off-topic forum.

Moderator: ari

Adam

Re: Ric's hate thread

Post by Adam »

- being short
- being skinny
- hair
- aging
- scandinavia (it seems to put me in an emo state, ah well, only 3 more weeks)
Adam Anushiruwân

[spoiler]RIC[/spoiler]

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

As a tall fat dude who doesn't mind being hairy and likes Scandinavia (well, the Nordic countries): Yeah, aging sucks.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

RasmOS

Post by RasmOS »

Adam wrote:- being short
- being skinny
- hair
- aging
- scandinavia (it seems to put me in an emo state, ah well, only 3 more weeks)
Life sucks, but don't worry, it'll be over before you know it.

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Getting into an accudent two days after I get my license.
Obligatory "no one's hurt and everything will work out".
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Altea Lomax

Post by Altea Lomax »

Burning myself eating chimichangas.

Dropping and ruining a hard drive.
Altea Lomax
Provost of the Posts
Vicereine of Brookshire
Seneschal and March Low Judge of Zy-Rodun
Town Postmaster of Tarkyr, Zy-Rodun
Played by Hālian

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

What is chimichangas?

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

A chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito from Tex-Mex cuisine.
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia
Jarl and Grand Elector of Jorvik

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

Yum.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Accidentally sending ~90 pictures to the wrong person then having to go back and send them all over again to the right one.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Dieter Lachsmann

Post by Dieter Lachsmann »

---
Last edited by Dieter Lachsmann on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleines Wasser macht niemand reich, best fischen ist im großen Teich. Georg Rollenhagen

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

When you're sick and try to get someone to cover for you at your restaurant job but no one can and you feel bad about calling in sick because the head cook just quite so they're already way understaffed as it is.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Heath Belledin

Post by Heath Belledin »

Being underqualified for pretty much every job posting ever.

Not having a car because you have no money.

Not having money because you have no job.

Not having a job because you don't have a car.
Dr. Heath J. Belledin
Played by Hālian

Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh

Post by Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh »

Heath Belledin wrote:Being underqualified for pretty much every job posting ever.

I understand.

Don't give up though. A couple of years ago, I had no high school diploma, was poor, had no job, ended up committed against my will to hospitals that force fed me meds that zombiefied my brain, making rehabilitation even less possible.

But in the end, slowly but surely I managed to do stuff. Made friends, had some internships, got a few part time jobs. My first full time job was cutting and gutting fish in a god forsaken arctic island. I managed to get a diploma, get into university, get better summer jobs that were reasonably well paid, allowing me to save money, and invest. Now I have enough money to.learn to drive again as long as the DVLA won't consider me a psychotic road rager.

There are ways out there. There are paths for you to take. You'll get there. You're intelligent and you have the will. In time, you'll build up more skills, more confidence, and more contacts.

No car? Seek out places in the neighbourhood? Maybe you can work a few hours here and there. I know it's not much, nothing you can live off, but it's a start. It'll get you experience and important skills. And it'll give you confidence too. Connecting to people will help.

I know that social interactions aren't always easy. They are difficult, they are awkward. One has to fake a lot, smile when you'd rather just punch someone.

But you'll get there. Baby steps.

Hug!
Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh
President of the Senate of the Elwynnese Republic

Krasniy Yastreb

Post by Krasniy Yastreb »

So I'm not the only one in a post-apocalyptic employment situation? I had you all down as Masters graduates with safe seats on the bourgeois gravy train...

Regarding the accumulation of skills, confidence and contacts, I got almost all of mine from a part-time volunteer job that single-handedly kept me sane for seven years. No financial gain, but without it I would have followed Ric into the loony bin. It equipped me with enough precious scraps of social functionality to hold down one proper job, meet my eventual layoff with a degree of emotional maturity and carry on through the gutter of temp work that I'm currently in. The good thing about volunteer gigs is they don't really demand qualifications (I actually gained a qualification through mine) and nobody's leaning on you to earn your wage.

Ric, didn't you do something similar at a cat sanctuary or something? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Working my ass hauling barrels of beer of while all you lazy hobo's take welfare.

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Heath Belledin wrote:Being underqualified for pretty much every job posting ever.

2nd hand bicycle instead of X-Box games?

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Krasniy Yastreb wrote:So I'm not the only one in a post-apocalyptic employment situation? I had you all down as Masters graduates with safe seats on the bourgeois gravy train...
College dropout here! ... In what still feels like a pretty comfy seat, at the moment. It turns out that I'm just really bad at being an undergraduate student, but decent at actually working, for three main reasons: It's easier to maintain motivation when my client is actually counting on me to finish things; it's easier to feel my time is worthwhile when I know it's actually got a cost on it that someone's paying; and, most personally of all, I'm a lot more comfortable in a social position where I can just display competence and henceforth be assumed competent, than to always be assumed incompetent until an instructor has poured enough knowledge into my brain. And programming is one of those weird fields they'll still let you work without first showing that you are good at being a student.

Not saying that this is advice for Halian to try to get a software job. He has the intelligence for it, but it does also take a bunch of training. All the material you need for that training is *technically* all available right there on the Internet for free, much in the same sense that literally a pair of sneakers and any heavy thing you can lift is all you need for a fitness regimen that leaves you looking like Sportacus: Somehow it takes more to do a thing than merely being able to do that thing. If you figure out how to act strategically - as in in service of a long-term plan that's bigger than just one project - do tell me, because I've never acted strategically in my life yet.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Oh, and one thing about this: As a general rule, if you're fully qualified for a job posting, you're overqualified for it. Things do depend on who wrote the posting and for what purpose - at least in my field, sometimes you have a system that needs to work yesterday and the only guy who knew the technology got run over by a bus, in which case you do really need someone who can get started right away... but most of the time, you just put in requirements that are representative of the general level of experience and position you're after. Every single one of them is negotiable.
Lord Furniture

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

I only got my current job because the manager was entirely incompitent at his own job. I didn't even have a food handler permit until after corporate fired him for stealing from the store safe anf lying on financial documents. It took me almost a year of searching to luck out, you just gotta keep at it.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Return to “Heavenly Emperor Hug-and-Slug Emporium”