Mevwan Summary and Index

Alicorn

Mevwan Summary and Index

Post by Alicorn »

Mevwan is inhabited by the descendants (and some of the orginals) of a crashed colony spacecraft containing 652 surviving aliens called Zaee (who landed in -200, probably due to running into a telluric field), and humans, who were already there when the Zaee crashed and in a bit of distress due to the apocalypse at the time. The species are largely self-governing, and decisions about Mevwan as a whole are based on consensus between the human leadership and the Zaee leadership. While humans outnumber Zaee by a lot, a significant amount of Zaee tech survived the crash, and were it to ever come to civil war, they could hold their own. By and large, things have been peaceful between the species.

Currency: Kuo

Capital: Delo-Kyan

Head of State: See "Politics"

Current Population: 170,000 Zaee; 13,000,000 humans

1. Greater Cosash
2. Lesser Cosash
3. Sedsesh
4. Reone
5. Kereko
6. Phariscal
7. Vith
8. Bright Shore
9. Eanimar
10. Doharo
11. West Tip
12. Seal Shore
13. Kensedo
14. Delo-Kyan
15. Ice Tip

----------

Information:

Politics

Languages

About Zaee

History

Culture

Psionics

Religions

Calendar

----------

Stories:

Press

Pen Pals (with Safiria's CJ Miller)

The Minister of Technology

Avana's Journal

----------

Out of Character:

Chatlog Dump

Census

Foreign Policy

Character Profiles
Last edited by Alicorn on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 am, edited 25 times in total.

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Re: Mevwan Summary and Index

Post by ari »

A consensus-driven bifurcate adhocracy it indeed is, then. Looking forward to the more explicitly scifi bits :)
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

I assumed this was copy-pasted until I started seeing all the references to Archipelago, but no, it looks like you just write really fast.

The phrase that caught my eye out of all that was "memetic relatives". If this is another way of saying "friend", I might have to start using it. If not, what does it mean in this context?

Funky Wombat

Post by Funky Wombat »

I like it a lot! The influence of the Zaee on their human neighbours is interesting, and I especially like the fact that none of the Zaee on board the ship were engineers so not everyone has this awesome tech.

Can Zaee instinctively fly, or is teaching flying one of the roles of the wing-family?
Funky Wombat
"Been around for a long long time, ain't seen nothing new"

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Scott: Memetic relatives mean people related via one's foster family.

Wombat: Zaee learn to fly without being taught at the correct age.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Very well developed :D I look forward to seeing them more.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Okay, I think this is more or less done. As I develop this stuff more, I'll separate it out into its own threads and turn the sections that are here into links (thereby turning it from a summary into an index piece by piece).

Additionally, my policy on creating and using Mevwani characters is this: Help yourself to as many humans as you need, as long as it wouldn't have noticeable demographic effects on my population. The Zaee are mine, and if you want any, you have to clear it with me. My policy on hijacking charcters I have created is: You can cause Iriwande the Self-Appointed Minister of International Participation-in-Things (and just him) say innocuous things to move along a conversation I have already had him start participating in. If you want to initiate, not just continue, a conversation with the Mevwan government(s) and write both sides of it instead of waiting for my reply, you need to be talking to an aide you invent for the purpose, not any character I have named; if you want a character I have named to talk then you have to actually write dialogue with me. Iriwande would have human aides on his staff to keep in touch with the Avewe on his behalf, so the "the Zaee are mine" policy continues to apply. And don't be having conversations with Mevwan residents, however throwaway those residents, that are meant to have major effects on my statelet without my say-so.

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

* reads through the section on religions *

Well... I see you left the best for last. There's something sort of reasonable about each of them. Like the Elehaithi would probably end up with a bunch of gods that they have on "good" evidence have actually been helpful, simply out of drawing the target where the arrow landed (I forget the proper name of that fallacy in statistics). And the Zwerisi would be damn difficult to actually argue against. Wonder what'll happen to Thtoi if these folks ever (re)develop enough astronomy to properly keep track of all near-Pelagia objects though.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

@Ari: Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy. I'm glad you like the religions :D

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Yes, definitely make this into threads. I would've missed the religious stuff if Ari hadn't mentioned it, and...well, I see you took my complaining about overly generic con-religious very much to heart. My favorite is the God-Makers, which seem like the logical conclusion of the world in Terry Pratchett's Small Gods (even though they violate the Great God OM's final commandment "Thou shalt not subject thy God to market forces").

I'd like to see the Zwerisi (world is a simulation) meet up wit the Favored (raised in a simulation) and see what happens - I'm guessing the Favored consider them abominations and try to kill them, but Harvey has surprised me more than once.
More orthodox sects (such as Lantern Bright, Perfect Regularity, and Revelation Dawn) are also found
These would also make good names for ponies!

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Yes, I was definitely thinking of your complaints about genericism.

Zwerisi meeting Favored sounds interesting. I don't envision Iriwande as being one but he'd certainly have at least one aide who was, so that's a way for that to happen.

You're right, those would be good pony names. I wasn't even thinking about that.

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

I don't seem to be able to sticky this post. Is there a way to do it that I'm missing?

Return to “Mevwan”