[Metropole] Constitutional Convention

The Safirian Empire — A vast and ancient star empire, controlled by a race of four-armed, azure-skinned, matriarchal psions, that has recently extended its reach into the Atos system. A land of dragons, naga, and angels; of ancient tradition and futurstic technology; of spacecraft and psionic powers; of ways and pastimes both alien and familiar; of gods, kings, and men. If this is in your wheelhouse, board the nearest spaceship and become part of a great tapestry stretching back over four million years.
HIM Lina VII

[Metropole] Constitutional Convention

Post by HIM Lina VII »

Racial presidents,
Governors-General,
Governors,
Premiers,
Lords and Ladies Mayor,
Your Holinesses,
Noblemen,
Aldermen,
People of Safiria:

For the better part of eleven grossyears[1] have custom and tradition dictated the operation of Our Government. Now, though, We believe it is time that said traditions and customs be collated into a single, concrete document, that the functioning of Our Government be made more transparent.

To that end, We now form all of ye into a Constitutional Convention and task ye with writing a constitution for the Safirian Metropole.
Lina VII (Mimir Ašura)
30th Safir Empress
Played by Carl

Seoni Milharna
It has always been x, and there is no need to change that.

Re: [Metropole] Constitutional Convention

Post by Seoni Milharna »

OOC: Forgot the footnote: [1] The safir equivalent of a century, since they use dozenal (base 12). It's equal to 144 years, so eleven of them equal 1584 years.
Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Joshua St Endellion

Post by Joshua St Endellion »

Majesty,
Ladies and gentlemen,

With all due respect to the Empress's call upon us, I fail to see the need for a metropolitan constitution. We don't need to fix something that works fine.

What I would suggest, however, is start discussing a constitution for the empire -- because that is where the waters are mirky.

But we are all but slaves to our blue empress queen, her call we shall heed.
Joshua Saint Endellion
Chancellor of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation

Fizzybeetroot

Post by Fizzybeetroot »

I maintain that the purpose of any Safirian constitution should be, first and foremost, to enshrine certain fundamental rights of the people. Rights such as water, shelter, and sufficient nourishment to sustain healthy life.
Edric Sharpe,
Journalist, International Person of Mystery, and Sometime Politician

Seoni Milharna

Post by Seoni Milharna »

So.

Constitution.

Form of government: same federal monarchy as it has been?

How many ministries?

What powers should be reserved respectively for the states, people, federal government, and Imperial government?

What election method?

Unicameral or bicameral?

How should the court system work? Should it be inquisitorial or?

Any other provisions that should be in there?
Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Fizzybeetroot

Post by Fizzybeetroot »

It is with a heavy heart that I submit to a monarchy. Alas I doubt Safiria is ready to change that.

I believe ministries should be kept to a minimum. No need to add unecessary administration.

I would be supportive of empowering the states and thereby decentralizing the government, however perhaps a provision would be necessary to ensure the legal grounds of higher government intervening if necessary is not questionable.
Edric Sharpe,

Joshua St Endellion

Post by Joshua St Endellion »

Your Majesty,

It pains me to upset you, but I must agree with Mr Sharpe. The powers of the monarchy should, if possible, be curtailed. The rights of the people must be enshrined.

Decentralization and democratization are things I fully support to. Until then, Majesty, we remain your loyal minions. *bows*
Joshua Saint Endellion
Chancellor of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation

Seoni Milharna

Post by Seoni Milharna »

I disagree with my human colleagues on the necessity and viability of a more confederal government, Your Majesty. I believe, Ma'am, that an empowered federal government (not necessarily a strong one) is necessary to keep the Metropole united as it has been for so many years.
Seoni Miłarna
One of many Hālians

Fizzybeetroot

Post by Fizzybeetroot »

I would not suggest such a change of government structure is a necessity - as yet. So long as the monarch remains reasonable and just, the monarchy serves the people sufficiently. But we must think of the future and be prepared should a future monarch take inappropriate liberties with the power they hold.
Edric Sharpe,

Return to “Safiria”