So, Bastion, huh...

All is fair in love, war, and the off-topic forum.

Moderator: ari

Craitman

Re: So, Bastion, huh...

Post by Craitman »

Rasmus wrote:I would rather see ari use any spare time he wants to spend on micronation on fixing the MicrasWiki...
This. There must be some way to separate wiki accounts from Hub forum accounts, which would essentially allow newer members to edit it freely. I have messaged him at least thrice in regards to this topic (multiple newbies wanting to edit/add content), but haven't even been graced with any replies.

I'm all for an easier-to-update Bastion front page, though, but another wiki would just be superfluous and would become another thing for people to moan about being incomplete...
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Craitman wrote:I'm all for an easier-to-update Bastion front page, though, but another wiki would just be superfluous and would become another thing for people to moan about being incomplete...
My suggestion was to combine the wikis into one, not add another one (which, indeed, would be superfluous). With just one wiki to work on, people could focus their efforts on that and make it top-notch.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Vlad wrote:
Craitman wrote:I'm all for an easier-to-update Bastion front page, though, but another wiki would just be superfluous and would become another thing for people to moan about being incomplete...
My suggestion was to combine the wikis into one, not add another one (which, indeed, would be superfluous). With just one wiki to work on, people could focus their efforts on that and make it top-notch.
That's what I was saying as well. I don't know why Jonas wants two wikis when we can't even get one up-to-date.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote:
Vlad wrote:
That's what I was saying as well. I don't know why Jonas wants two wikis when we can't even get one up-to-date.
Because the goal of the BastionWiki would be to be used as a site, not a wikipedia. If people want to throw wikis together: do it, but don't nag like you're doing now. I will enjoy myself with the BastionWiki, while you guys are busy doing what you want to do. :wink:
Takano Myksos
Minister of Truth of the Jingdaoese Empire

Jonas

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Takano Myksos wrote:That's what I was saying as well. I don't know why Jonas wants two wikis when we can't even get one up-to-date.
Because the goal of the BastionWiki would be to be used as a site, not a wikipedia. If people want to throw wikis together: do it, but don't nag like you're doing now. I will enjoy myself with the BastionWiki, while you guys are busy doing what you want to do. :wink:[/quote]

Then why a wiki and not just a website? I'd wait and see what you come up with though, but since it will be representing the Bastion Union as a whole, there should be a broad consensus.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote: Then why a wiki and not just a website? I'd wait and see what you come up with though, but since it will be representing the Bastion Union as a whole, there should be a broad consensus.
What is hard to understand when I use the words "it's easy to edit by anyone"? :rolleyes:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Takano Myksos wrote:
Jack wrote: Then why a wiki and not just a website? I'd wait and see what you come up with though, but since it will be representing the Bastion Union as a whole, there should be a broad consensus.
What is hard to understand when I use the words "it's easy to edit by anyone"? :rolleyes:
You might want to get rid of the condescending tone first, if you want all of Bastion to be on board with this.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote:
Takano Myksos wrote:
You might want to get rid of the condescending tone first, if you want all of Bastion to be on board with this.
I'm sorry. Wait a minute while I'm going to throw myself in the dust for you while explaining things a third or even fourth time.

Concerning your friendly warning: The worst thing that could happen for me is that... oh, I do nothing, and nothing changes. I will survive the horrible thought. :rolleyes:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Vlad wrote:My suggestion was to combine the wikis into one, not add another one (which, indeed, would be superfluous). With just one wiki to work on, people could focus their efforts on that and make it top-notch.
Just to clarify, which wikis would this proposal be combining? MicrasWiki and ShireWiki? If so, then surely the former is already in the right position to be that sole wiki? :)
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Craitman wrote:
Vlad wrote:My suggestion was to combine the wikis into one, not add another one (which, indeed, would be superfluous). With just one wiki to work on, people could focus their efforts on that and make it top-notch.
Just to clarify, which wikis would this proposal be combining? MicrasWiki and ShireWiki? If so, then surely the former is already in the right position to be that sole wiki? :)
Yeah, I think so too. You just have to find someone who is willing to copy info to the MicrasWiki. :wink:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Well, we should also be copying over the stuff off of SoloralWiki, since that is the most likely candidate to have a short lifespan.

EDIT:
BTW, I like the improvements made thus far. :up1:

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Vlad wrote:Well, we should also be copying over the stuff off of SoloralWiki, since that is the most likely candidate to have a short lifespan.
I almost forgot about that one. If I remember it right, that wouldn't be too difficult (as there aren't that many pages anyway).
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Kaiser Raynor XII

Post by Kaiser Raynor XII »

I'm a bit nervous about this. I've got no problem with a new wiki, but I don't want Shirewiki at least taken down. Over the years too many wikis collapse, and I think it best to leave multiple copies lest things be centralized and lost when/if the "center" fails.

Anyway, let me know where this is, and I'll copy stuff when I have the opportunity.
Kaiser Raynor XII

Kaiser of Shireroth
Ducal Baron of Greater Yardistan
MoMa of the Imperial Republic, Baron of Hallucination
Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

As long as the MicrasWiki isn't fixed properly, I would not put too much hope into it.
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Takano Myksos wrote:As long as the MicrasWiki isn't fixed properly, I would not put too much hope into it.
Is there any way we can do what is necessary to fix it? Would anyone be able to persuade Ari to look at it more successfully than my attempts have been? Or could it be possible for him to allow someone else the relevant admin access to get it sorted (Rasmus said he would administrate a new one, so why not have him do that to what we already have in existence, if it's possible)? :)
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Liam Sinclair

Post by Liam Sinclair »

Craitman wrote:Is there any way we can do what is necessary to fix it? Would anyone be able to persuade Ari to look at it more successfully than my attempts have been? Or could it be possible for him to allow someone else the relevant admin access to get it sorted (Rasmus said he would administrate a new one, so why not have him do that to what we already have in existence, if it's possible)? :)
Ideally we should upgrade MicrasWiki to the latest stable release of MediaWiki while we're at it; however, my brief research into the extension that allows one to link phpBB3 accounts with MediaWiki accounts indicates that it's not supported on the newer versions of MediaWiki unfortunately.

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Craitman wrote:
Takano Myksos wrote:As long as the MicrasWiki isn't fixed properly, I would not put too much hope into it.
Is there any way we can do what is necessary to fix it? Would anyone be able to persuade Ari to look at it more successfully than my attempts have been? Or could it be possible for him to allow someone else the relevant admin access to get it sorted (Rasmus said he would administrate a new one, so why not have him do that to what we already have in existence, if it's possible)? :)
I asked ari... :herman:

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

On the other hand, we should first ask the whole of Micras if they actually agree with upgrading the wiki. You know... because consensus is such an important thing to some of us. :twisted:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Thanks, Rasmus!

Well, as long as we can iron-out the teething problems with this upgrade and the wiki stays at the same location, I can't imagine there'd be any backlash to making it work better :wink:
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

The demand for needless bureaucracy says otherwise! :madviking:
Takano Myksos

Jonas