So, Bastion, huh...

All is fair in love, war, and the off-topic forum.

Moderator: ari

Takano Myksos

Re: So, Bastion, huh...

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote:Can't we have an extensive page on micras wiki then? Perhaps we can even create a Bastion portal there, but I'm not sure if that's technically possible.
Why wouldn't it be technically possible? It's just working with some tables. :salute:
Takano Myksos
Minister of Truth of the Jingdaoese Empire

Jonas

Max II

Post by Max II »

We seem to be drifting from a reasonable enough goal- creating a new frontpage with brief but up-to-date national summaries- to the altogether more complex and thorny idea of merging the remaining national wikis. I have to agree with Rasmus that this is a recipe for failure: not only are we almost certain to run into the old issues of "national sovereignty", but just who the hell is going to do all the transferral work?

Let's keep it simple, guys! A new frontpage with current information...that's achievable.
Max II
Reigining Emperor of Sangun
King of Steeria and Highfield

Sometime King of Leichenberg

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

True, let's just focus on the most important part for now (which first would require Ari's assistence): setting up a wiki, add the frontpage with up-to-date info of the current nations, a 'what's a micronation'-info for newbies and eventually the passport-thingy. That will take enough effort for now.
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

So a portal for Bastion, and a revised front page for all micras nations?
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Whatever is put on the Bastion site should deal exclusively with what is hosted by Bastion.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Vlad wrote:Whatever is put on the Bastion site should deal exclusively with what is hosted by Bastion.
Oh, the front page of the Bastion Union forum? Obviously that would. I thought for a second that we were talking about the wiki frontpage.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote:
Vlad wrote:Whatever is put on the Bastion site should deal exclusively with what is hosted by Bastion.
Oh, the front page of the Bastion Union forum? Obviously that would. I thought for a second that we were talking about the wiki frontpage.
I was talking about the BastionWiki (site/frontpage) which would exclusively be meant for Bastion (why advertise for non-Bastion nations? :wink: ). A wikipage (or portal) on the MicrasWiki wouldn't be a bad thing either. I will not stop anyone from writing something. :doc:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Takano Myksos wrote:
Jack wrote:
I was talking about the BastionWiki (site/frontpage) which would exclusively be meant for Bastion (why advertise for non-Bastion nations? :wink: ). A wikipage (or portal) on the MicrasWiki wouldn't be a bad thing either. I will not stop anyone from writing something. :doc:
Why a seperate wiki for Bastion if we already have a micras wiki?

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote:
Takano Myksos wrote:
Jack wrote:
Why a seperate wiki for Bastion if we already have a micras wiki?
Really? It has been said over and over again. =p

To clarify once more: BastionWiki would serve as a website / frontpage.
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Takano Myksos wrote: Really? It has been said over and over again. =p

It's mostly you who is saying it over and over again. I wonder why we would need yet another wiki when the Micras wiki isn't even fully up to date. Just have a front page for the Bastion Union with descriptions and links to the nations, and perhaps to the Micas wiki pages about those nations, that should be a much better way of doing this.

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Jack wrote:
Takano Myksos wrote: Really? It has been said over and over again. =p

It's mostly you who is saying it over and over again. I wonder why we would need yet another wiki when the Micras wiki isn't even fully up to date. Just have a front page for the Bastion Union with descriptions and links to the nations, and perhaps to the Micas wiki pages about those nations, that should be a much better way of doing this.
I'm willing to do that NOW, if can get these descriptions and links.

http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 21#p129821

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Last I knew, MicrasWiki didn't have an administrator and was horribly out-of-date since it was all tied up with Spangle, who's no longer around, and Craitman, who doesn't have the technical know-how to fix/update it.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Jack wrote: It's mostly you who is saying it over and over again.
Then there is no need for you to keep asking it over and over again.

I wonder why we would need yet another wiki when the Micras wiki isn't even fully up to date. Just have a front page for the Bastion Union with descriptions and links to the nations, and perhaps to the Micas wiki pages about those nations, that should be a much better way of doing this.
What does it matter to you that it's 'another' wiki? The advantage of using a wiki is simply that it's easy to edit and practically everyone here knows how to work with it (just look at the current frontpage which is out-of-date but doesn't get updated because access to it is limited to a limited few).
The passport-thing would be more easily to edit and follow and editing info would not be limited to admins. It's perhaps not much, but I don't see the harm as long as Ari wants to set it up (and he seemed in favour of it).

Please go ahead if you want to fill the MicrasWiki with information. :salute:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Raz

Post by Raz »

Takano Myksos wrote:(just look at the current frontpage which is out-of-date but doesn't get updated because access to it is limited to a limited few).
That is bullshit. I have never been asked to update it. It is not more work than changing a forum name... which I get asked to do all the time.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

And you would also create pages for the passport-project and keep those updated? By all means, then you have saved a lot of us some work. :wink:
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Raz

Post by Raz »

Takano Myksos wrote:And you would also create pages for the passport-project and keep those updated? By all means, then you have saved a lot of us some work. :wink:
I think the easy way would be to make a template for that passport on the micraswiki and ask people to use that and put a link in all their sigs? I understand that easy isn't the way we roll here though.

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Rasmus wrote:
Takano Myksos wrote:And you would also create pages for the passport-project and keep those updated? By all means, then you have saved a lot of us some work. :wink:
I think the easy way would be to make a template for that passport on the micraswiki and ask people to use that and put a link in all their sigs? I understand that easy isn't the way we roll here though.
Micraswiki is not easily accessible for everyone here on Bastion... Even if Ari gets the Micraswiki fixed, then it would still require everyone to register on the MCS forum. Once Ari would have set up things, the most easy option would be using our own wiki (which would be linked to this forum).
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Raz

Post by Raz »

That is a fair point. It would be easier for the users once everything is working. But... if it is not updated, stops working, or taken over by spambots or something like that and ari isn't willing to fix it (he does not want to spend time on MicrasWiki to fix that either) it would be a huge mess. I would rather see ari use any spare time he wants to spend on micronation on fixing the MicrasWiki...

Takano Myksos

Post by Takano Myksos »

Rasmus wrote:That is a fair point. It would be easier for the users once everything is working. But... if it is not updated, stops working, or taken over by spambots or something like that and ari isn't willing to fix it (he does not want to spend time on MicrasWiki to fix that either) it would be a huge mess. I would rather see ari use any spare time he wants to spend on micronation on fixing the MicrasWiki...
Being taken over by spambots should be avoided by using forum accounts (we have to delete spambots here anyway). And I agree that it would be nice to see him fix MicrasWiki, I'm not convinced that the fate of that wiki should be intertwined with Bastion. If in the end he sets up our BastionWiki, I'm not going to beg him to not do that because of MicrasWiki. :no: =p
Takano Myksos

Jonas

Raz

Post by Raz »

Of course and I would be willing to help administrate the wiki.

(I would not be willing to work on the wiki as I hate wiki-markup though, it's worse than old html...)

Return to “Heavenly Emperor Hug-and-Slug Emporium”