The future of Brookshire

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser, (Shireroth) Duke of Brookshire

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

The future of Brookshire

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

With Daniel back, I'm assuming it won't be long before Spraki returns...and that means it's time to start thinking about turning our Provisional Contract of Governance into something more permanent.

Having given the matter some thought, I'd be interested to see what people think of the following structure:
1. The Dukedom of Brookshire is vested jointly in two ‘Limb Baronies’: Greater Lakhesis and Overdolor.

2. The territorial integrity and autonomy of the Limb Baronies is guaranteed under the Contract of Governance.

a. Each Limb Barony is free to establish its own system of governance in accordance with local tradition.

b. The lord or administrator of a Limb Barony possesses ducal authority and prerogatives within zir territory. The Ducal Government is not permitted to interfere in the internal affairs of a Limb Barony.

3. Each Limb Barony nominates one individual to serve as a Ducal Limb.

a. The senior of the two Ducal Limbs is the Emissary of the Duke and is styled, ex officio, Marquess or Marchioness of Modan-Lach. The Emissary represents the Duke of Brookshire in the Adelsraad and on any other matter requiring the Duke’s presence.

b. The junior of the two Ducal Limbs is the Marshal of Brookshire and is styled, ex officio, Baron or Baroness of Hamlet. The Marshal is the deputy of the Emissary and exercises zir functions should the latter be unable to do so.

c. The seniority of the two Ducal Limbs alternates on a weekly basis.

4. The two Ducal Limbs collectively embody the will of the Duke of Brookshire.

a. Decisions or edicts issued in the name of the Duke must be endorsed by both Limbs in order to take effect.

b. Should the two Limbs be in disagreement, then the matter shall be decided by a vote of all resident nobles of Brookshire, with the majority opinion prevailing.

5. The Contract of Governance may be replaced, altered or otherwise amended only with the agreement of both Limb Baronies.
In the Provisional Contract, ducal authority is vested in a number of named individuals who collectively embody the office of duke; here, on the other hand, the dukedom is vested in two special fiefs- I have called them 'limb baronies'- which enjoy special prerogatives.

Why do I think this is a good idea?

Firstly, it is more flexible that the present structure. Consider Greater Lakhesis...under this system, Malliki could be the baron and Spraki the limb, but with scope for one to stand in for the other should that prove necessary. The actual Contract need not worry about contingencies for every circumstance precisely because many of the details are decided by the individual limb baronies.

Secondly, this structure gives the limb baronies a large measure of protection and autonomy. Their territory is guaranteed by the Contract, they are able to choose their own lord or system of governance in accordance with local custom and most importantly of all, within their borders, their lord or administrator is effectively the duke. In other words, no-one save the Kaiser (and presumably the Adelsraad) can interfere with their internal affairs....which should help to reassure the inhabitants that some idiot isn't going to come along and ruin everything just because they can! In turn, I would argue that this might actually help to maintain the integrity of Brookshire: people will be less likely to rebel or secede if they known that their autonomy is fundamental to the functioning of the duchy.

Anyway...I could ramble on and on, but it makes more sense for interested parties to read my points and then present their opinions and/or concerns. :wink:
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Re: The future of Brookshire

Any thoughts on these ideas?

Because whilst our present Contract is perfectly serviceable, I would really like to set Brookshire's unique political structure within a firmer conceptual context.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

I've only just come... so let's wait a while and see how this functions first? :-)
Count Rev Dr Spraki Krumsson Lla'i-Ašura of Azarea
Father of the Kaiseress, Ambassador of the Heavenly Light to the High King of Stormark

Ric from Sweden

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Apologies for my absence; I've been busy with other things (even dead girls have lives, you know...).

I do concede that its probably too soon to be making massive changes; however there are three issues I would still like to address.

Firstly, I am a little concerned about Article 15 of the Contract. As it stands, there is nothing to stop two of us amending the Contract to exclude the other should the latter be absent for more than one week- even if that absence is expected (we all have a right to take a holiday from time to time!). I'm not suggesting that any of us would do such a thing, but in my opinion this needs to be rethought.

Secondly, I would like the Contract to guarantee the two baronies in some way, as that would give them a measure of legal protection (particularly if the proposed Charter amendments guarantee the Duchies internal autonomy under imperial law). I know that Malliki was keen to prevent the ducal government interfering in Lakhesis and it is my feeling that a baron is less likely to secede or rebel if they know that their fief is protected from unwarranted external meddling.

Thirdly, Article 16 has served its purpose and can be safely removed (but it specifically requires your assent to do so)!
Mira Raynora the Elder

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

I agree that we would need to update the Contract, I'm thinking the Emissary should have a longer term, perhaps a month?
Father of the Kaiseress, Ambassador of the Heavenly Light to the High King of Stormark

Ric from Sweden

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

A month would probably work better than a week. I also think the other limb (i.e. the one who isn't serving as Emissary) should be Marshal of Brookshire.

If we are going to revise the Contract, I think we should aim to have it finalised before there is a new Kaiser. Perhaps we could start a tradition whereby each new Kaiser is encouraged to confirm the Contract upon assuming the throne?
Mira Raynora the Elder

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

What if Spraki and Anthrazita marry and then become co-Duke/co-Duchess of Brookshire? Just a wild idea...

Ric from Sweden

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Actually, I like that idea a lot.

As it happens, I was literally just about to write that, in my view, the present system of limbs and Emissary is too complicated for its own good. Which of us is the Emissary right now? Because I've lost track and I don't know whether I should put 'Marchioness of Modan Lach' or 'Baroness of Hamlet' on my census form!

Oh, the angst...

Edit: Whilst we're talking of changes, I would also advocate dividing the Duchy (with the exception of Modan Lach) between the two baronies of Greater Lakhesis and Overdolor. Under the present structure, large parts of Brookshire feel somewhat...forgotten.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

The three counties in the Barony of Greater Lakhesia form a cultural and historical unit. We could of course add more counties, but they would not be linked to the other three by history, tradition or culture. Where is our border anyway? Is it the River Elwynn?
Malliki Tosha
Acting Xonuti of the Free State of Sanilla
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Brookshire's border is the River Elwynn (at least as far as I'm aware).

You do present a strong argument for keeping Greater Lakhesia as it is (question: is it 'Lakhesis' or 'Lakhesia'?); I just feel that with almost all the activity in the Duchy concentrated in the west and north, we're not doing the rest of Brookshire justice.

Edit: Malliki- would you consider assuming administrative responsibility for Lywind and Shimmerspring, even if the two counties are not formally incorporated into Lakhesia? That way, the administrative void could be filled without diluting the cultural-historical identity of Greater Lakhesia.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

Awesome! Let's blend Viking rituals with this:

Ric from Sweden

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

The Corpse Bride references are fine...but I do get slightly concerned when people start talking about Viking rituals...
Mira Raynora the Elder

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

Oh, don't worry! We can have a secular wedding :D

So how are we gonna do it?

Ric from Sweden

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

Lady Overdolor,

The law on marriage is pretty clear on this. Let us ask the Kaiser to approve of our marriage.

And please, can we sleep in seperate bedrooms, and not do the "Hello darling" kinda thing?

Ric from Sweden

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Spraki Krumsson wrote:And please, can we sleep in seperate bedrooms, and not do the "Hello darling" kinda thing?
Ah- a standard modern marriage then! :joker:
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Sleep? Bedrooms? Pathetic breather! What use could I have for such trappings of mortal existence?

If the law requires us to seek the Kaiser's approval, then that must be done. I suppose the expectations of the masses, who require constant distraction from the tedium of their little lives, will require some sort of public ceremony in Hamlet...but that can wait until we are legally married.

When presenting our request to the Kaiser, it might also be sensible to detail the terms of our joint-rule as duke and duchess. And we will also need to amend the Contract accordingly...
Mira Raynora the Elder

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Anthrazita, I was just about to suggest the same thing. The Barony of Greater Lakhesia will consist of Highpass, Amarr and Lakhesia, while the Baron of Greater Lakhesia will hold Shimmerspring and Lywind as personal fiefs.
Malliki Tosha
Acting Xonuti of the Free State of Sanilla
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

Maybe something like this?
Contract of Governance of the Duchy of Brookshire

THE HONOURABLE COUNT KRUMSSON OF AMARR, HER ILLUSTRIOUS HIGHNESS THE LICHGRAVINE OF OVERDOLOR AND THE HONOURABLE BARON OF GREATER LAKHESIA

having met in the Sun Palace of Brookshire Hamlet have agreed to the following: ----

Upon the legal marriage of Lord Amarr and Lady Overdolor, the two shall be afforded the rank and title of Duke and Duchess of Brookshire.

The Duke and Duchess of Brookshire shall guarantee the autonomy of the Barony of Greater Lakhesia (constituting the counties of Amarr, Highpass and the Lakesian Nation), as well as guarantee the Baron of Greater Lakhesia freedom to choose his successor and make law for the governance of Greater Lakhesia.

The Duke and Duchess of Brookshire rule by decree. Decrees shall be made in both their names. When either is unable to sign a decree, the co-signature of the Baron of Greater Lakesia is necessary for the enactment of a decree.

The Duke and Duchess of Brookshire shall remain married unless they legally divorce. In case of divorce, the Dukedom of Brookshire shall be decided by the Kaiser.

This Contract is in force until terminated by the Parties to it, or by the Kaiser.

This Contract enters force upon the signature of the Parties and the attestation of the Kaiser to it.

Ric from Sweden

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Malliki wrote:Anthrazita, I was just about to suggest the same thing. The Barony of Greater Lakhesia will consist of Highpass, Amarr and Lakhesia, while the Baron of Greater Lakhesia will hold Shimmerspring and Lywind as personal fiefs.
Excellent. In that case, I propose that Crestfall Downs, Kralizec and Monty Crisco by added to Overdolor to form the Viceduchy of Overbrook or Brookshire-Maltenstein (I can't decide on the name); Modan Lach shall remain ducal demesne.

Is this acceptable to you, Spraki?
Spraki Krumsson wrote:Contract of Governance of the Duchy of Brookshire
That is mostly fine, with a few of exceptions:
In case of divorce, the Dukedom of Brookshire shall be decided by the Kaiser.
I'm not so happy with this. Since we effectively shared ducal authority before marriage, then we should retain it in the event of a divorce. Otherwise, I can guarantee that you won't be leaving me...alive. :twisted:
This Contract is in force until terminated by the Parties to it, or by the Kaiser.
We don't need to expressly mention the Kaiser. If a Kaiser wishes to remove us from power, zie will have to find zir own legal justification!

Finally...I must insist that the contract guarantees the integrity of my own personal demesne: again, it is in your interest to ensure that I don't lose out in the event of a divorce. ;)
Mira Raynora the Elder

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

I accept! Would you like to draft amendments to suit you, milady?

Ric from Sweden

Return to “Duchy of Brookshire”