SINGULARITY: Legal Action

Illuminarch Nicholas

SINGULARITY: Legal Action

Post by Illuminarch Nicholas »

I apologize for the hiatus; i tend to take a lot of them! I've just been extra busy, but I do plan on completing this 10-part story arc. I also have a much longer project, along with 2 other 10-part arcs that will be initiated soon, and are hinted at here through the dialogue; I hope you enjoy speculation! Happy readings!
The room was dead quiet. Owen McCormick was in the same dark Scorpia office room. He was accompanied with a few more people this time, however. The same agent was there; there were more of them. They stood stoic across the back wall of the office. Sitting beside the Scorpia agent was a pale man with whispy white hair and wiry glasses. A leather briefcase was beside him. He bore a lapel pin in the shape of a balance.

"I know this looks bad, but-" McCormick started. The bespectacled man raised an arm.

"I wouldn't say anything if I were you." he said. Owen refrained.

"I would listen to him. I mean, coming from the Libra Sector, he's bound to know a thing or two about law." said the primary Scorpia agent. Owen shook his head while he cradled his face in his hands.

"You had to bring in a Libran?" He said. The agent nodded.

"The Bureau chooses only the best. As for lawyers, Mr. Sloan here is quite fine." The agent said. McCormick looked at the lawyer, who had an emotionless look on his face. It was unnerving.

"Well, we're going to have to start with a few questions," started Mr. Sloan. Owen gestured for him to continue. Shuffling some papers, Sloan continued, "From your recent reports and notations, you were conducting research on an experimental form of transportation, correct?"

"Yes."

"And you made the man you call 'Subject A' completely aware that this form of experimental transportation is completely untested and possibly fatal?"

"Yes."

"Did you inform him of possible consequences?"

"Yes."

"Do you know where he is?"

"No."

Another silence fell across the room. Mr. Sloan adjusted his glasses to the tip of his nose in a librarian-like fashion. He bent closer to McCormick.

"Do you know how bad this looks for the entirety of the Omega Complex? We are renowned for our research, but we also are heralded for our public image. Anything that would possibly taint this world perception is kept under wraps. It's how we operate here in Omega. This man is either dead or somewhere where he shouldn't be. Have you seen the political landscape in the rest of Pelagia? We have wild Emperors and bizarre cultures out there! Were it not for our relative isolation, we too would be caught up in that imbroglio! So, now I ask: do you know how to find him? Or his body?" Sloan said.

"No." Owen McCormick said. Sloan leaned back, the chair creaking from his obesity. The McCormick's Scorpia agent put his hands on the table in an attention-drawing manner.

"You understand this jeopardizes your next three testing, correct? I mean, the Affinity Project will have to be put on hold! You constructed the chambers, selected the candidates, and have already done extensive research on Time Affinity; was it all for nothing? And let's not even start on how much money the Bureau and your Corporation has shelled out into making the Exotica Initiative. You know how much money it takes to wipe a memory?" the agent fumed.

Owen shook his head.

"Of course not. And on the coattails of this new scandal, we'll probably be forced to shut down the entire Exotica Complex. Miles and miles of biosphere, all ruined, because you "miscalculated", or "an error came up", or some "new variable expressed itself". You know what else this means?" The agent said. Owen couldn't bare anymore.

"Respond, McCormick. You know what else is on the line?" The agent said.

"The Antiquity Expedition." Owen said pitifully.

"Yeah, the Antiquity Expedition. We have had the teams and the submarine ready for months now! We've even pinpointed the location of where the wreckage might be! But do you think our investors are willing to put their money on someone like you? Do you think they trust putting their money on someone like you? I mean, I personally can live without Affinity or Exotica. But Antiquity is all about our national heritage! All of this is probably going to go away now." The agent finished. Owen was slumping in his chair, looking down.

"Notice the 'probably' clause." Sloan said in a equivocating slur. Owen looked up.

"The world doesn't know that 'Subject A' is gone. In fact, Pelagia isn't even aware of the Singularity Project! Of course, high ranking officials have already been notified, but I'm talking about the people. Nobody knows. So, there's a way to fix this little problem you've created, McCormick." Sloan said. Owen's demeanor lit up.

"How!?" He asked excitedly.

"Find Subject A."
Illustro est via

Return to “Omega Complex”