Tarsica: Knowns and Unknowns II: The Rewrite

Jasonian Aeronautics and Space Organization. A technology / vehicle development group. JASO was founded in the summer of 2000 during the great Golden Age of the FIoJ and has been serving the sector for over a decade. From civilian to military use, the smallest robotic vehicle to the most terrifying behemoth gravships, the fastest fighters to immobile research complexes, and the realistically possible to the "oh come on, there's no way that would work!", JASO does it it all. Owned by the Nelagan government with a Shirerithian minority controling share, but willing to work on joint projects with other-like minded groups for the common good.
Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Tarsica: Knowns and Unknowns II: The Rewrite

Post by Shyriath »

(This is a partially-finished rewrite of the Tarsican knowns and unknowns from the dormant Moonshot project that had been going in Nelaga. Mayhap we can get this party started again. As before, OOC notes are in italics; these will mostly be to indicate where I am departing from the MicrasWiki article that the first one started with, either due to logical/factual errors or due to my own speculations. But I'm going to have to do some pretty significant changes to some things.

I apologize in advance for how any of this looks. At the time of posting, I've been working on typing and research and occasional calculations for a couple of hours straight, it's 2am, and I'm falling unconscious. I'll polish it later when I have more to add. :geek: )

Orbital Characteristics

Semi-major axis: 384,399 km
Semi-minor axis: TBD
Orbital circumference: 2,413,402 km
Orbital eccentricity: 0.0549
Orbital period: 27.321582 d
Average orbital speed: 1.022 km/s (2286 mph)

(Note: I'm not much up on physics, especially orbital mechanics, so my contributions to the above section are just about zero.)

Physical Characteristics

Mean radius: 1,737.103 km
Circumference: 10,914.54 km (Note: Recalculation from known radius.)
Surface area: 37,919,360 km^2, distribution: 99.2% land (approx. 37,616,005 km^2), 0.8% ice (approx. 303,355 km^2) (Note: Area calculated from known radius; thanks to CJ and his dextrous use of Paint.NET for the land/water precentages. But see below for why this is now labeled "ice".)
Mass: 7.3477×10^22 kg
Density: 3,346.4 kg/m^3
Surface gravity: 1.622 m/s^2 (0.1657 g) (Note: Recalculation from known radius and mass.)
Escape Velocity: 2.38 km/s (5324 mph) (Note: For the moment, I'm just assuming this is correct. The only equations I found for this are giving me values nowhere near this... but considering that this, like all the other figures, is lifted from info about Earth's moon, I'm not really sure what that means other than that I'm missing something. As I said, physics isn't really my cup of tea.)
Sidereal rotation period: 27.321582 d (Note: Set this equal to the orbital period. This means Tarsica, as previously indicated elsewhere, always presents the same face to Micras.)
Equatorial rotation velocity: 4.6236 m/s (Note: Calculated from circumference and rotation period.)
Albedo: 0.21 (Note: Altered from the original 0.12; will be discussed in a following post, but you'll see some of the effects of this further down in this post.)
Surface Temperature: TBD (Note: Haven't figure out what this should be yet; will be discussed in a following post.)
Axial tilt: 1.5424 degrees (to ecliptic); 6.687 degrees (to orbit plane) (Note: Lifted from info on Earth's moon. I may possibly raise this so that Tarsica has seasons, but it might not matter much.)

Atmosphere

Surface pressure: TBD (Note: Haven't figure out what this should be yet; will be discussed in a following post.)
Composition: TBD (Note: Haven't figure out what this should be yet; will be discussed in a following post.)

Background

The body known as Tarsica, hanging in our sky like a brilliant jewel, has fascinated humanity since the dawn of intelligence. Countless myths and legends are passed down to us from our ancestors about Micras' only natural satellite, and they continue to influence our perception of it. But surprisingly little factual information has accompanied it, even after thousands of years of scientific civilization and a number of known missions to Tarsica in previous centuries. The history of our world, alas, is strewn with conflict and chaos, and much that was once known has been lost to us. The science team has worked hard to collect and update what remains, in the hope that it will aid the upcoming lunar mission in its task, and improve the chances of at long last understanding our nearest neighbor.

Surface

The visible surface of Tarsica consists primarily of three basic classes of material:

-Most of the surface is covered by regolith, a layer of dust and sand interspersed with larger particles. The thickness(es) of this layer, and what surface features it might hide, are not known. The relative reflectivity of this layer is responsible for the immense brightness of full moon, which led the ancients to believe that it was covered with snow. (Note: Behold the retcon of the snowbound landscape! The implication meant here is that the material covering Tarsica is brighter than that on Earth's moon, hence the higher average albedo.)

-Some few areas, mostly steeper slopes and high elevations, have exposed rock, which are visible from Micras as darker regions. Most of what we know of Tarsican geology stems from observation of these regions.

-Less than one percent of the surface consists of ice cover, most of it concentrated in the famous equatorial seas extending in a ring around Tarsica. (Note: I don't think liquid water will be tenable on the surface. When covered by ice, though...)

Geology

Judging by the topographic features of the surface, and through what Micras-based analysis can be done of the areas of exposed rock, it seems clear that Tarsica has little to no history of plate tectonics, having never had a thin enough crust or hot enough core. Nonetheless, there are a number of features analogous to Micrasian lava domes and stratovolcanoes, albeit considerably taller and wider; and the continued presence of ice on the surface indicates that liquid water may exist underneath, heated by underground sources. Therefore, Tarsica is likely to retain enough heat in its interior to form localized "hot spots" of magma near the surface.

Although there may be some few rocks on Tarsica created from aeolian deposits (formed from wind-blown material), the vast majority is likely to be igneous. The fairly light color of the regolith suggests that it was derived from rock with a high SiO2 content, and Tarsica may therefore have a higher proportion of granitic rock in its crust than Micras does. Nonetheless, it is likely that at least some basaltic and other mafic rocks are present, but simply buried beneath the regolith; such rocks, if formed from low-viscosity lava, may have been deposited to form wide, flat plains on which looser material could have settled.

Habitability

The low temperatures and atmospheric pressures on the Tarsican surface make the survival of multicellular life as we know it, at least more advanced than lichens, extremely unlikely there. Nonetheless, considering discoveries made about extremophile microbes on Micras itself in past years, it is not impossible that similar organisms may persist there under certain conditions.

The presence of the ice seas makes them the most promising target for the search for life. Although open liquid water cannot exist on the surface without evaporating, nonetheless small amounts of it will be generated on and in the ice while in sunlight. Photosynthetic microorganisms embedded below the ice surface could therefore subsist during the Tarsican day, while perhaps going dormant in darkness. One could argue for similar processes in the soil and rock near the ice seas, where endoliths could thrive in areas where water vapor escaping from the nearby seas is deposited as frost in surrounding regions.

Perhaps more likely still, however, are potential habitats below the surface. As previously mentioned, there is reason to believe that liquid water may be found in the seas, protected from evaporation by the ice above and geothermally heated. Seafloor ecosystems could exist, based around hydrothermal vents. There may also be underground seas and lakes, undetectable by Micras-based instruments, with similar possibilities for life.
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Re: Tarsica: Knowns and Unknowns II: The Rewrite

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Has any nation put a man on the moon of Micras (Tarsica) yet?

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Yes, there used to be several nations which maintained active bases on Tarsica - Natopia had one I think, and CIS too.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

OOC: I'm still mad that they won't let anyone onto Indigo or Momiji...

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

You allow them to hold you back? If Jingdao had listened to people like that we would never have conquered Sweden.

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

OOC: Stop metagaming.

Raz

Post by Raz »

Why?

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

OOC: You should know why.

Raz

Post by Raz »

Let's not act like this silly waste of time has a solid ruleset.

Imaia Vauqi

Post by Imaia Vauqi »

OOC: Don't rope me into your bullshit.
Imaia Marquise Vauqi of Ven
Image Minister of the Right
Image Master of the Imperial Handmaidens

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

You have to burn the rope.

Shyriath, I didn't see this for over three years, but well done compiling it. :wink:
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Imaia Vauqi

Post by Imaia Vauqi »

Vilhelm Benkern wrote:You have to burn the rope.
Very true. Now where did I put my lighter... *pulls out a joint*

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Rasmus wrote:You allow them to hold you back? If Jingdao had listened to people like that we would never have conquered Sweden.
I agree with this mentality, and wish others had more of it. If other people say no to your micronational plans, then it is those people that should be removed from the plans, not the plans that should be removed. I mean, seriously. Why the HELL are you guys letting the MCS make this call for you? They're not the authority for the entire hobby, unless you let them be.

Finish the space program, set up a base on another planet, draw your claim on the map, and invite them to suck your dick.

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

A wise authority on our hobby once described it as:
a fleeting clash of liberated superegos operating in an electrical void filled with the ephemeral spectres born of the deranged imaginings of the aforesaid superegos
The clash and the personalities are what makes this more interesting than writing stories and saving them to your hard-disk. The MCS isn't everything, but it's a manifestation of our desire to coalesce and form something like a community of people wearing saucepans on their head and banging them, which - I can tell you from personal experience - is much more satisfying than just wearing a saucepan on your head and banging it.

Many individuals on this forum have created their own planets and worlds relatively recently - Jonas' Pelangia, Carl's... whatever the Safirian planet/solar system is called - and they're either ignored or have died a quiet death. That's not to say they were wrong to do it, but I can understand why most people don't.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Imaia Vauqi

Post by Imaia Vauqi »

So I shall.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Benkern, I don't disagree. But I think the MCS is the anomaly. In traveling through other fandoms and pseudo-micronations build up by communities, I've never seen anything else like the MCS. All other organization I run across is designed to support the creativity and structure of the group's members, but the MCS seems to do the otherwise. Everyone else says yes; the MCS says no.

I'm not questioning its value as a hub - the map is invaluable, and its nothing short of a miracle that we've found people willing to update it this many consecutive years. But I worry that it has lost its way on a meta level and has begun constricting creativity. How it gained that power is unclear to me - perhaps the total lack of any other hub? - but it definitely has it. And what's strange is that this doesn't seem to bother anyone really.

One of my retrospectively-poor ideas with Bastion was to get enough talented people in a place OTHER than the MCS to try to create a new hub based on the wants of the community and try to offset this. This failed spectacularly, of course - said numerous talented people were at odds almost immediately and coped by heading back to their respective Bastion nations. Well. Worth a try. That probably wasn't the best approach to that particular issue.

Imaia Vauqi

Post by Imaia Vauqi »

Vilhelm Benkern wrote:Carl's... whatever the Safirian planet/solar system is called
Daia/Qilanai, respectively. I have no qualms opening the former to colonization.

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

...good grief. I completely missed that people had been talking about this. Completely forgot I wrote the damn thing, for that matter.
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Kaiser Mo'll I

Post by Kaiser Mo'll I »

Shyriath wrote:Completely forgot I wrote...
Speaking of which, anyone who suffers from this should never look themselves up on decade-old forum archives. It's... terrifying.

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

This is the first time I noticed this, so the following may be of interest:

Tarsica Defined
Tarsica, Micras' satellite, is roughly the same size as Earth's moon, Luna. And they both share roughly the same daily orbit around their planet sister. The similarities between Luna and Tarsica end here however. Unlike Luna, Tarsica has a very thin atmosphere and a small amount of plant life, just enough to keep the atmosphere stable and self-replenishing. Due to Tarsica being both a satellite and having a thin atmosphere, the planet remains perpetually cold. Almost all water on the surface is frozen, and liquid water underground has to be reached by drilling. Hardy evergreen plants are the dominant flora of Tarsica, its short Gorgon Pines seen bending against the harsh Tarsican winds through viewers telescopes on Micras. Other plants remain mostly scrub, alpine, mosses and lichens, clinging to rock crevices or near open water. The ecological habitat of Tarsica is defined as tundra-permafrost, with only the equatorial region being true tundra where surface temperatures warm enough to melt the ice.

The climate of Tarsica is attributed to it having a rich amount of water that remains frozen except in a few isolated locations. The moon's core is only slightly volcanic, contributing to a number of underground water reservoirs. It does, however, remain too cold on the surface to keep water in its liquid form for very long. Only along Tarsica's equator can any liquid water be seen in amounts greater than a few square miles. Solar heating rather than volcanic activity maintains liquefaction of the water. The rest of the surface remains a rugged winter landscape, comparing to the higher altitudes of a mountain. Trees grow deep roots and may live to be hundreds of years old, yet grow no taller than twelve or so feet. Thanks to the constant melting and re-freezing of water along the equator and in other "hot spots", Tarsica has plentiful snowfall. This has helped to disseminate the common pet name of the "Christmas Moon".

Of fauna, Tarsica has little to none. The dominant species are insects, which can withstand the extremes of the environment. Almost no birds are present except for small species similar to cardinals and chickadees, which can survive the rigors of the cold and make their homes amid the small scrub brush. All water on Tarsica is fresh rather than saline, attributing to most fauna clinging to the equatorial region. Of the largest species on Tarsica is the Polar Worm, an insect-like creature the size of a horse that prowls the wastes and eats grass and smaller insects. Higher orders of animal life have not developed both due to the extremes of the environment and because of the thin oxygen content in the atmosphere. Left unchanged, insects will continue to dominate the fauna of Tarsica indefinitely.

Topographically, Tarsica's surface is only slightly marked by impact craters, unlike Earth's moon. These attribute to some of the landscapes features, such as Tall Pine Crater. The slight volcanic activity has helped to erase most of these marks, and scientists believe the moon was much more active volcanically less than a million years ago. Otherwise, the entire surface is earthen, with only the Equatorial Lakes to break up the landscape. Very little soil sediment exists, as there has not been significant plant and animal life to form the layers of detritus that would establish a soil structure. Instead, the soil structure is sand-like and dusty, composed of wind and water worn stones. A number of mountain ranges exist, quite a few of which are extinct volcanoes. Otherwise the land is rolling and devoid of major landscape features, being predominantly wide-open plains, rocky fields, or mountains. Tarsica does have a large number of glaciers, most of which are situated near extinct volcanoes. Snowfall remains relatively random, with depth dependent on equatorial melting. Mountains tend to gather the most, never melting anything they accumulate. Other areas, such as the windswept flatlands or equator, only accumulate a few inches.

For humans, Tarsica is a cold and forbidding place where a man might survive in the open, but not for very long. Oxygen levels are too thin to sustain human life, although a person can withstand several hours of exposure before reaching critical levels (akin to altitude sickness). The general appeal to would-be settlers is the minerals that Tarsica is rumored to hold. If scientific predictions prove accurate, Tarsica is rich in many minerals like its mother planet. In any instance of human habitation, self-sustaining habitats and life support systems would be required. Although unlike Earth's moon, the presence of a thin atmosphere, animal and plant life proves it to be much easier to sustain life there.
Polar Worms (Myriapoda giganta)

Satellite probes sent to obtain pictures of the surface of Tarsica first discovered the Polar Worm. This was before any surface probes had been developed and before any landing had been made on the moon; thus the pictures proved poor but nonetheless shocking. What appeared to be a worm (due to its burrowing habit) was in actuality a type of giant centipede. This difference was not discerned until physical studies of the insects had been made – but by that point the name “worm” had been in use for nearly a century. The polar worm is unique in that it is a giant centipede that thrives in the cold temperatures of Tarsica. Typically, giant centipedes are confined to tropical regions. Thanks in part to an extremely thick chitinous armoring, under which another thick layer of fat exists; the polar worm can withstand the freezing cold weather. Polar worms scour the surface of Tarsica for smaller insects, and are thus classified as carnivores (they have not been known to attack humans). The largest recorded specimen reached a length of eight feet (2.44 meters) and a diameter of two feet (0.6 meters), making it the largest animal on the moon.

The polar worms inhabit the warmest region of the moon, around the equatorial lakes where they can access unfrozen water and feed on the abundant insect life. Their ecological niche has been described as keeping in check populations of smaller insects, feeding on the weak and sick and improving population vitality. Entomologists have described the species as a “primal relic”, citing that the centipede is similar to long-extinct insects. One unique habit of the polar worm is that while in motion the centipede can upright its front half. While it does not continually do this, it will upright itself when attacking or in other displays of dominance (for mating, when scared, etc). A centipede may also upright itself when it needs to use its front mandibles to dig burrows.

Initial accounts of the polar worm described a burrowing habit in which the centipedes dig their own habitats into the sandy soil. This led to the initial misclassification of the centipede as a worm. Indeed, it is not uncommon for centipedes to burrow through loose soil under rocks and other protected places to lay eggs and establish nests. Much of the remaining ecology of the polar worm is not that different from other centipedes; mating habits, reproductive cycles, moulting, and so forth remain relatively the same.
Gorgon Pine (Pinus gorgonis)

The Gorgon Pine is an evergreen coniferous tree and the dominant tree of Tarsican flora, and closely resembles Scots Pines (Pinus sylvestris). Due to the thin oxygen of the Tarsican atmosphere, the Gorgon Pine only reaches a mature height of some thirty feet (9 meters), and this only under the most favorable of conditions. In most cases the trees remain much smaller, stunted and gnarled, which gives rise to their name from the mythological gorgons of Greek literature. The trees dominate the flora of Tarsica, with lesser trees and scrub brush dwindling in size down to lichens and mosses. Gorgon pines were first spotted by telescope, as viewers could easily make out the long stands of green surrounding the Equatorial Lakes. Thus they are commonly cited as the first evidence of life on Micras’ moon – even before probes or people could visit.

The range of the Gorgon pine is limited to equatorial regions where water remains unfrozen and thus accessible through the soil. From the equator their range extends outward around other lakes and where underground aquifers remain unfrozen; although the latter is limited since geothermal warming is low. Despite having a limited range, their lifespan can be exceptionally long, with some specimens identified as being nearly 700 years old.

A Gorgon pine is easily indentified by its thick, scaly bark, a dark grey-brown, on the lower trunk, and flaky orange bark on the upper trunk. The shoots are light brown, with a spirally arranged scale-like pattern. On mature trees the leaves ('needles') are a glaucous blue-green, often darker green to dark yellow-green in winter, 2.5–5 cm long and 1–2 mm broad, produced in fascicles of two with a persistent grey 5–10 mm basal sheath; on vigorous young trees the leaves can be twice as long, and occasionally occur in fascicles of three or four on the tips of strong shoots. The seed cones are red at pollination, then pale brown, globose and 4–8 mm diameter in their first year, expanding to full size in their second year, pointed ovoid-conic, green, then grey-green to yellow-brown at maturity, 3-7.5 cm in length. The cone scales have a flat to pyramidal apophysis, with a small prickle on the umbo. The seeds are blackish, 3–5 mm long with a pale brown 12–20 mm wing; they are released when the cones open in spring 22–24 months after pollination. The pollen cones are yellow, occasionally pink, 8–12 mm long; pollen release is in mid to late spring.

Little human use of the Gorgon pine has been seen yet. There has been a general consensus among most exploratory nations that due to the limited range and number of the species present on Tarsica, harvesting should be limited and the trees protected. Although no international agreement has as yet mandated their protection, no harvesting has yet occurred. Tar, pulp and timber are the most likely uses of the wood, but the practical application of these uses on Tarsica is extremely limited. It has been suggested that the seeds could be germinated on Micras to establish new stands for propagative purposes, but concern over the species becoming invasive has halted any importation of the plant for the immediate future.

Return to “JASO”