[Bill] To Create the Imperial Conference

All passed laws, treaties, resolutions, and archived records of the Frenzy.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) Speaker of the Frenzy

Christo Eucalyptos

[Bill] To Create the Imperial Conference

Post by Christo Eucalyptos »

A BILL to AMEND the CAPRINE CODE of the
BOVIC EMPIRE of the NATOPIAN NATION

To Create the Imperial Conference

1. A new section is added to the Caprine Code:
Section Thirty-One -- Imperial Conference

1. The Imperial Conference is established as a political, consultative, advisory council with limited legislative powers.
2. The Imperial Conference is subordinate to the Frenzy and supports the Frenzy's purpose of legislating for the Empire.
3. The Imperial Conference is composed of 1000 Advisers selected by recognized political parties, religious delegations, ethnic groups based on the proportion of the each groups political activity.
3.1 For every registered and active member in a group, that group may seat up to 100 Advisers in the Imperial Conference.
3.2 Unclaimed seats will be appointed in groups of 50 at a time, first by the Emperor, then the Chancellor, then the Emperor, then Chancellor, and so on until 1000 Advisers are seated in the Assembly.
3.2.1 The Emperor and Chancellor will use these appointments to ensure minorities, underrepresented peoples, and all people of the Natopian Nation have a voice in the Imperial Conference.
4. The Imperial Conference will debate policies and proposed laws according to their own procedures.
5. Policy decisions of the Conference will take the form of non-binding resolutions that will serve to inform the Frenzy and Imperial Government of the wishes and desires of the people.
6. Additions to the Caprine Code may be proposed by the Imperial Conference by passing a Bill and then presenting the Bill to the Chancellor or Speaker of the Frenzy.
6.1 The Conference's Bill will need to be passed as a Frenzy Bill before becoming law.
The Emperor has informed me of his desire to bring more democratic elements into the Natopian political system, coupled with the resurgence of Natopian party politics. The Emperor, however, is wary of placing too much importance on what may be considered a political fad and does not want to place too much power in the hands of political parties and groups. I organized some of the Emperor's main concerns into a Bill. I expect a healthy debate and welcome suggestions, either to the mechanism of advisor selection, the number of the advisors, the name of the assembly, etc.

This will allow for some potential politicking without forcing bicameralism onto the Frenzy. The Emperor would even entertain giving the assembly some more "teeth" as long as the entire government can continue to fully function without this assembly should it fall into chaos and disorder and disuse.

Please note I have changes the name of this body and adjusted numbers.
Christophos Eucalyptos
Retired Natopian Statesman,
Writer for the Bagelcratican Sporadically
Played by Nathan

Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak

Re: [Bill] To Create the Imperial Conference

Post by Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak »

Mister Speaker,

We are perhaps not particularly known for a desire to achieve democracy and people representation. But what this Bill does, in Our view, is ensure that We do listen to the Natopian people and this is certainly something close to Our heart. For while for Us democracy has countless drawbacks, information in the sense of knowing what everyone thinks has great potential to be used for good decision-making.
His Imperial Highness Prince Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak Ayreon-Kalirion of Waffel-Paine KBH

Tsar of The Royal Tsardom of The Marches and The Princely Isle
Metrobosarch of Vey
Lord Triumphant in All Four Quarters
Prince of Natopia
Duke of Haven
Marquis of Klaasiya
Count of Andiopolis

Joshua St Endellion

Post by Joshua St Endellion »

OOC:

How are we making the proportions of "political activity"?
Joshua Saint Endellion
Chancellor of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation

Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak

Joshua St Endellion wrote:OOC:

How are we making the proportions of "political activity"?
I'd suggest something fair, objective and transparent. random.org
His Imperial Highness Prince Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak Ayreon-Kalirion of Waffel-Paine KBH

Metrobosarch of Vey
Prince of Natopia
Duke of Haven
Marquis of Klaasiya
Count of Andiopolis

Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak

Any ideas/feedback on this?

Metrobosarch of Vey
Prince of Natopia
Duke of Haven
Marquis of Klaasiya
Count of Andiopolis

Christo Eucalyptos

I would like to revisit this.
A BILL to AMEND the CAPRINE CODE of the
BOVIC EMPIRE of the NATOPIAN NATION

To Create the Imperial Conference

1. A new section is added to the Caprine Code:
Section Thirty-one -- Imperial Conference

1. The Imperial Conference is established as a political, consultative, advisory council with limited legislative powers.
2. The Imperial Conference is subordinate to the Frenzy and supports the Frenzy's purpose of legislating for the Empire.
3. The Imperial Conference is composed of Advisers selected by active demesne, recognized political parties, religious organizations, and ethnic group associations.
3.1. Each active Demesne Union (or unattached demesne), is accorded a number of Advisers equal to the total posts in their forum divided by ten, rounded to the nearest whole number. Each Demesne Union's government may compel its Advisers to vote a certain way.
3.2. Each active political party is accorded a number of Advisers equal to the number of registered members multiplied by ten. Each political party may compel its Advisers to vote a certain way.
3.3. Each active religious organization is accorded 20 Advisers, regardless of active membership. Each religious organization may compel its Advisers to vote a certain way.
3.4. Each active ethnic group association is accorded 10 Advisers, regardless of claimed membership. Each ethnic group association may compel its Advisers to vote a certain way.
4. The Imperial Conference will debate policies and proposed laws according to their own procedures.
4.1. A President of the Imperial Conference will be elected by a majority of Advisers to serve as parliamentarian, clerk, and spokesperson.
5. Policy decisions of the Conference will take the form of non-binding resolutions that will serve to inform the Frenzy and Imperial Government of the wishes and desires of the Natopian Nation.
5.1. The Imperial Conference may pass resolutions on any topic of national or regional importance.
6. Additions to the Caprine Code may be proposed by the Imperial Conference by passing a Referendum and then presenting the Referendum to the Chancellor or Speaker of the Frenzy.
6.1. The Referendum will need to be passed as a Frenzy Bill before becoming law.
7. The Imperial Conference will be adjourned and reconvened at the same time as the Frenzy.
7.1. Adviser representation will be readjusted at the start of each new Frenzy Session.
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Joshua St Endellion

The representative should forgive me, though I don't understand how this would work. Can he explain in plain English?
Joshua Saint Endellion

Christo Eucalyptos

If the Imperial Conference were to be formed right now it would look like this:
Arboria: 36 seats
Elian Union: 73 seats
Flaventia: 62
Klaasiya: 64
MSU: 58
Uppland: 8

[the ruler of each demesne would have that many votes]

FJBP: 20
TSP: 10
DA: 20
N&H: 30

[the party chairperson would have that many votes]

Dozan Bovic Church: 20
Storish Ancient Ways: 20

[the church leader would have that many votes]
A president would be selected, probably by coalition, and the president would set the agenda and push through resolutions. The Conference would act like a Lower House, nothing it does would be legal until voted by the Frenzy (which is still reserved for real people, one vote per real person). The Frenzy can still run the country as if the Conference doesn't exist. The Conference would give purpose to developing demesne activity and political parties without penalizing smaller demesnes, or single person parties in the Frenzy where real stuff happens. Whatever coalition controls the Conference would have the pulse of the nation at that time, and I imagine the Frenzy adopting most of the Conference's agenda (within reason) to appease the masses.
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak

Mr. Speaker, this sounds good ;)

I move to vote.

Metrobosarch of Vey
Prince of Natopia
Duke of Haven
Marquis of Klaasiya
Count of Andiopolis

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

I second.
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia
Jarl and Grand Elector of Jorvik

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Aye.
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia
Jarl and Grand Elector of Jorvik

Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak

Aye.

Metrobosarch of Vey
Prince of Natopia
Duke of Haven
Marquis of Klaasiya
Count of Andiopolis

Joshua St Endellion

yes
Joshua Saint Endellion

Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak

(

Left to Right:
Arboria; Elian Union; Flaventia; Klaasiya; Most Serene Union; Uppland; FJBP; TSP; DA; N&H; Dozan Bovic Church; Storish Ancient Ways;

)

Metrobosarch of Vey
Prince of Natopia
Duke of Haven
Marquis of Klaasiya
Count of Andiopolis

Christo Eucalyptos

(I dont even smoke but I really want to adjust the seats to equal 420 now :fire: )

Aye
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

House Meir

Post by House Meir »

NAY.
HOUSE MEIR OF NATOPIA
Thalassa, Natopia
(until Feb. 3, 2019) Chancellor Benjamin Meir, Count of Frenzyville
(after Feb. 3, 2019) Maria Meir, Countess of Frenzyville

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

A bit late to the party. I vote nay. My reason being this:
3.3. Each active religious organization is accorded 20 Advisers, regardless of active membership. Each religious organization may compel its Advisers to vote a certain way.
I am very much against the Vanic Church having actual political power. A lot of us have seen how badly that can turn out. Also, what does "regardless of active membership" mean?
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Kikada Syveilu

Post by Kikada Syveilu »

NAY
Kikāda Syveilu
Countess of Reira

Proud member of the Union Democratic Movement

Played by Hālian

Isabella Kalirion

Post by Isabella Kalirion »

Nay until religious organisations, and ethnic group associations are removed.
Patroness of Kalir
Elder of the Simrani branch of the House of Ayreon-Kalirion
| Countess of Amity, Mirioth and So-Sara

Christo Eucalyptos

Ryker wrote:A bit late to the party. I vote nay. My reason being this:
I am very much against the Vanic Church having actual political power. A lot of us have seen how badly that can turn out. Also, what does "regardless of active membership" mean?
This means that even if the Vanics or the Bovics or whoever else we have claim adherents in the dozens, thousands, or millions they will never have more than 20 seats in the Conference, since religious membership is hard to quantify on Micras.

Religions and ethnic groups having seats in the Conference is really just a way to add some flavor to the Conference. Anyone is free and able to found their own religion and claim their own extra 20 seats.
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Return to “Library of Law”